IGNORED

Which Club to Use For a Chip Shot?

Smurf
Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Smurf, glad you are taking up the game and ThrSandTrap is a great site. 

While I’m relatively new also, I can say with certainty that your question is too general to answer.  

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I'am new to golfing and curious which club should I be using when encountering a chip shot. Thank you.

Welcome to TST. This thread may assist you to get started. Now I must mention that if you’re new to golfing don’t be putting too much time in the short game. You can post your swing (video) by making a ‘My Swing’ post in that thread, ‘My Swing.’ You’ll get some great free advice. 

The ‘info’ section at the top will lead you to some excellent instruction with videos as well. Glad you’re here and good luck with your golf journey! Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The short, easy answer is any club you want, but I know that's not what you're asking. All I will say is that there are no hard and fast rules. Since you are new to the game I will give you a definition. A "chip" shot travels a short distance through the air and a greater distance rolling on the green toward the hole. A "pitch" shot is higher trajectory and travels further in the air than it does on the green. 

There was a great old instructor by the name of Harvey Penick, who felt that the best way to learn the game was from the green back to the tee. He strongly advocated this for children, but realized it might not work so well with adults. I'll just say this. Take a selection of clubs, one with some loft (PW, 9 iron),  some mid range (6-7 iron), and some low loft (3-4 iron or hybrid), to the practice green and experiment. Learn to get the "feel" for these shots. 

That will stand you in much better stead than anyone telling you what club to hit. 

• Like 1

It depends on what sort of chip shot you have in mind.  If it is down hill; you should land it short and let it roll out.  If it is up hill; it will stop sooner.  That being said; I play most chips and pitches with my 50 degree wedge.  I adjust up and down, loft wise, if I think that will help...otherwise I stick with the 50.  It works better, for me, to favor one particular club, no matter what that is, than switch up all the time.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I'am new to golfing and curious which club should I be using when encountering a chip shot. Thank you.

Essentially this depends on what you need to do.  If you are close to the green, have a lot of green to work with and can afford to run the ball along the ground, you play a bump and run.  Essentially you are playing a lower lofted club.  The aim is to hit it like a putter, but get a little bit of carry to clear the rough you are in, then land it on the green and run it most of the way.  Normal rule for this is around a 7/8 iron thought it depends on what you are comfortable with.

Next is where you have a reasonable amount of green to work with, but can't do the bump and run.  However, you can still get it to run a little bit, but not too much.  For example you are a bit further out so carrying a lower lofted iron will give you too much run.  Then a more lofted club like a 9/Pitch/Gap.

Finally, and the hardest, is a flop shot.  Here you need the ball to go high and stop.  The more loft the better here so use a Sand/Lob

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

15 hours ago, Smurf said:

Some folks believe in using a chipper, you should PM @David in FL

{I'll show myself out for trolling}

• Like 1

Players play, tough players win!

if its just flat rough between the ball and the green, then probably a 7/8/9 iron. Otherwise if it's elevated then a 56. If there's not much green to work with and it needs to stop, then 56. 

I will use a pitching wedge 90% of the time, even if I have to hood the face a touch.  A sand wedge or a 7 iron make up the other 10%.

For me it depends. By and large I will use a 60 degree lob wedge for most of my shots around the green (80% or more) since I grew up just delofting the club to get lower chips with more roll. That said, a lob wedge does put more spin on the ball when you start delofting it since you tend to also get more steep with your swing, so if I really need a ball to roll I'll use a 56 degree or 52 degree wedge accordingly.

• Thumbs Up 1

What club a golfer chips with is a personal choice, based on the golfer's expirience, lie of the ball, and other issues associated with the chip shot at hand. 

Example might be where I would use a pw, others might use an 8i, and get the same results score wise.

Chip shot club preference is something the golfer learns on their own through practice. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

24 minutes ago, Patch said:

What club a golfer chips with is a personal choice, based on the golfer's expirience, lie of the ball, and other issues associated with the chip shot at hand. 

Example might be where I would use a pw, others might use an 8i, and get the same results score wise.

Chip shot club preference is something the golfer learns on their own through practice. 

Same. I dont really have a set formula of which club i use for a chip. Even how im feeling on a particular day changes what club i use around the greens. But most of the time for a run of the mill flat 20-30 foot green side chip from the collar or something, ill use a GW or PW. 

Like others have said, it depends on the lie, the distance and whats between you and the green. If i need to get it up a little i'll use i kind of stabby 8/9 iron if im not too far off the green.

If i need to get over a bunker i'll pull either my 56 or 60, ball a touch forward, quater/half swing, start rubbing those rosaries and fingers and toes crossed it lands on the green :-D

Just off the green i've been experimenting with a hybrid and it actually feels pretty good and easier than choking down on a 7 for me at least.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I prefer anything from an 8i to the LW.  Greens around here have a lot of humps and depressions around them, so it often dictates a pitch, usually with the LW.

As for a bona fide chip shot? I prefer the 8i or 9i for what I term a "chip" where the ball is hit to roll more than it flies.  Though on fast greens I can still get a lot of roll out of even a gap or lob wedge. 

Short answer - whatever has the least amount of loft to accomplish what i want to do.  I like to roll it to the hole.

I used to use a different club depending on the shot, anything from a 7-iron to a lob wedge. With my limited practice time now, I went to a one club approach and I hit 95% of the shots I have around the green with a lob wedge. It works better for me.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Well....   😁

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• iacas changed the title to Which Club to Use For a Chip Shot?
On 3/30/2019 at 7:36 PM, Smurf said:

It depends how far you are out and what kind of lie you have. 
Bunker: Sand Wedge (54 - 58 Degrees)

Fringe: Putter, Lob Wedge, Hybrid, Wood, Driver (These can be used as a putter)

You can use a bump and run which is to land it short and let it run.

Driver: :titleist: 915 D2

Fairway: :titleist: 913F

Hybrid: :titleist: 913H

Irons: :titleist: 714 AP1

Wedges: :vokey: SM6 60, :vokey:SM7 56 ,52

Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2016 Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!