IGNORED

Anyone Else Get Self-Conscious About Hitting at the Range?

Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Something I've always struggled with, and I'm open to admit it, is hitting at a busy driving range. I get so self-conscious to the point it ruins my practice session. I get conscious of the people who set up around me with the one sole purpose to get out their driver to smack it as far as they can and make a pissing contest of it. Or take an eternity between their own shots as they step back and watch me swing. I know its all in my head. I hate the ones who berate themselves after every shot. I get so scared of shanking that I stick with the clubs and shots that I think will produce the best results and drills go out the window.

Can anyone relate? How do you deal with it?

Edited by Hugh Jars

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jars said:

Something I've always struggled with, and I'm open to admit it, is hitting at a busy driving range. I get so self-conscious to the point it ruins my practice session. I get conscious of the people who set up around me with the one sole purpose to get out their driver to smack it as far as they can and make a pissing contest of it. Or take an eternity between their own shots as they step back and watch me swing. I know its all in my head. I hate the ones who berate themselves after every shot. I get so scared of shanking that I stick with the clubs and shots that I think will produce the best results and drills go out the window.

As soon as you hit a bad shot you just say out loud to yourself, ‘Damn, it sure is hard trying to swing opposite handed.’

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Hugh Jars, i've fought through some terrible anxiety in life and in golf.

it helped to realize pros routinely shank balls in televised tournaments and they have hit way more crappy shots at the range than most if not all of us amateurs. e.g.:

SPIETH: The first thing I learned from Cam was patience. For me to become a more consistent ball-striker, he believed it was necessary to make a couple significant swing changes. I remember hitting bags where only one out of every three balls got off the ground.

source: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jordan-spieth-a-great-round-starts-with-a-great-warm-up

additionally, anyone who unnecessarily judges your game is undeserving of your attention and anyone throwing a hissy fit on the range after a miss-hit is just an opportunity for you to work on your mental game. e.g. if you play long enough you will get paired with people on the course who have crappy attitudes. learning how to ignore these folks on the range will help you enjoy those odd rounds instead of getting caught up in drama.

lastly, focusing on breathing really helps. e.g. search for "box breathing" or "tactical breathing" online. it's so easy to do and can have an immediate impact on your heart rate or adrenaline levels. highly recommend.

hope you can enjoy your time on the range!

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

As soon as you hit a bad shot you just say out loud to yourself, ‘Damn, it sure is hard trying to swing opposite handed.’

to add, some of my personal favorites are: "thin to win!" or a quiet "yee haw!" with a solid fist pump. or for particularly gnarly ones, "trick shot!" i'll even say this last one when other people shank one right in front of me just to add a bit of levity. been good for laughs or conversation starter with strangers.

• Upvote 1

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

If i go with the sole purpose of dedicated practice (rare now as i go with my 5yr old son) i zone out everyone around me. The thing is i dont like doing that as it's harder to relax.

Make your practice fun, enjoy the atmosphere at the range, soak it all up and make sure you can have a chuckle at your own dodgy shots :-).

I love the range, i enjoy taking a break mid session and just people watching. I get so much inspiration watching the old gentleman hitting his driver 150yds but grinning from ear to ear every shot, or from watching my son hit his driver and declare proudly "smashed that one Dad!".

Let your hair down a bit, have fun and the self-consciousness will fade away.

So ends my Jerry Springer thought for the day :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

After I warm up, if I feel a little tense, I try to hit a few big hooks and slices just to feel the shot and the clubhead and just for fun. Stops me from looking at myself and what others are doing. But truthfully...Unless I'm there wearing a Speedo, no one cares about what I'm doing; they are only interested in what they are doing. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I go to the range to practice my game and work on my priority pieces, it doesn't matter to me what anyone else is doing there. 

If someone next to me shanks it, no big deal, maybe they're working on a massive swing change. Maybe they're new and just getting into golf. I don't know, nor do I really care.

There are a lot of benches at my range, so it's somewhat common to have someone sitting on one and watching others hit while they are taking a break from their own practice. I actually enjoy having someone I don't know watch me hit, it adds a level of pressure and makes me focus more.

Maybe wearing some wireless headphones with some music might help block out what others are doing?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Mis Hit.......

Just loud enough for them to hear...........

Nope, that didn't work...
WOW, that really didn't work...
I kinda figured, that wouldn't work......
Nope, that isn't going to work either.......
Experimenting can be a pain.......

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Nothing bothers me when playing/practicing my golf game. Especially other golfers. 

I could never understand why anyone would let others dictate to them, and/or intimidate them, when playing/practicing their golf game. 

Every person who ever picked up a golf club was a bad golfer when first starting out. Some improved, some didn't. 

It's golf. Poor shots are a part of everyone's game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I can tolerate the distractions at a busy range, but if it's especially noisy, like a group class steps away, or drunk people about (Chelsea Piers for example, is next to a restaurant and you have your corporate bros there) or my number one peeve, smokers, be it cigarettes, cigars or electronic, I try and avoid that by going at times when it's least busy. Having a camera behind you discourages people from standing behind you. I do find it annoying when someone stops right behind you just to look at your swing. I just go about my business but people in general, are nosey and lack etiquette. I usually give them my F*** off face if they linger.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Yes @Hugh Jars, I have been self-conscious and anxious several times at a driving range and even on the golf course. It was worse when I was just starting out but it still lingers with me today.

Unfortunately, I have only found one way to handle it:

The best way to get over it, is to simply GET OVER IT. Meaning, you have to keep going. Eventually what is uncomfortable can become comfortable.

Do not shy away from the range. You need the practice. I have to keep reminding myself that the people around me don't care!

Play with more and different golf partners. Play with better players, if possible. Go out with a group of buddies who might tease you a bit. All of these things probably could trigger some more anxiety. So long as it is bearable, just forge on. It's all in good fun.

If all else fails, you can get a decent net and turf mat for less than $100 to hit off of in the privacy of your own back yard but that creates many challenges to effective practice.

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

I don´t care at all. Most of the people are all thinking about what their are doing. 

Lots of good thoughts in here already.

I'll add that I really had an issue with this when I first started golfing, and even some now on league nights when all the low single digit guys show up to the range. I've found that throwing headphones in really helps me just focus in on myself and not pay attention to everything going around me. Seems like the less I notice everyone else, the less I think they are noticing me -- which they probably aren't to begin with.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Wouldn't necessarily say it's being self-conscious, but I absolutely hate crowded ranges.

I need my room to operate, walk around, not see people out of the corners of my eyes and, yes, swear at myself. Yep, I'm that guy. Sorry.

To facilitate my preferences as much as possible, I like to get to the course early and get my swings in before things get too crowded. I'll always find the biggest gap on the line to occupy. I never allow it to effect my club selection or change what I'm trying to do out there.

I get self conscious, then I realize two things.  One is that half the people there hit worse than I do.  Two is that they don't care how I am hitting, anyway.  If I notice someone striping it, I will sometimes watch them for a bit (not go over behind them, just from where I am) to see if there is something obvious to be learned, like great tempo, or whatever.  But really, everyone is usually in their own bubble, so it doesn't matter.  It amazes me that at the range we can hit balls with someone fifteen feet on either side, swinging, muttering, etc., and yet on the course I sneeze two fairways away is a distraction!  And yet, it is true!

Only when there are two hot girls with short skirts showed up just before my line and starting to practice then I will take another 50 balls 😉 

I enjoy my time at the range.  When there are other people there I do my best to set a good example: good posture, grip, tempo, etc...I don't know why that is...it just happens.  

It's a lot like teeing off with a group, behind your group, waiting and watching.  In that scenario I imagine the audience is there to see a good golf swing...and do my best to oblige.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

At the range, no.  I accept we are all there to practice and we all will hit a few less than brilliant shots.  If people want to watch me hit bad, good, or maybe even great shots, that is their time.

Back to the topic, I don't even voice anything out when I hit a miserable smack. 

Perhaps this is because, I stated out 2 years back attempting to golf again after a forced hiatus and an injury I will have to always have as a factor.  Add to that as an older player, I am not trying to make it to the senior tour.  

Golf is, when all is said and done, a sport and a game. I golf primarily to stay in shape and have fun, what others think is their problem.

Heck, I don't care what people think at the first hole tee box on a course.

While I accept some will worry or feel self-conscious, if you can do your best to put it out of mind, your skill set returns rapidly.

To those who feel it is their joy to make fun of me for my mishits at the range or course, I proudly give you a one finger salute!

th-2.jpeg.d11b1469c00db0c995d3dd50dc522ad9.jpeg

• Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!