IGNORED

Who Is More Likely to Win Another Major First - McIlroy or Speith?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who Is More Likely to Win Another Major First - McIlroy or Speith?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is More Likely to Win Another Major First - McIlroy or Speith?

• Rory McIlroy
    • Jordan Spieth

Thought about this reading the Spieth thread. Open Championship returns to Royal St Georges next year, McIlroy has won there. Or is the answer none of the above, Koepka is unstoppable, lol.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The obvious answer is McIlroy - he's had a great year and may win the FedExCup. The only thing that gives me slight pause is that Spieth has won the Masters and played well there in losing, and that's the next one coming up. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Gotta go with the hot hand.   Rory.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'd go with Jordan, at Augusta, and Rory everywhere else.  Augusta seems to favor certain players in a way that the other majors do not.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Hands down Rory.  Spieth hasn't exactly been playing brilliantly of late.  Yes, Rory has struggled in the majors but that seems to be more a mental thing.  He may just have played a brilliant round in the Fedex Cup to beat everybody and actually come into contention for multiple majors next year.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Rory. Unless Spieth does an overhaul. But it’s a big hitters game more than ever now. Spieth is gonna have to step up to start competing again.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

McIlroy won at Liverpool, not St.George’s.

I will actually go with Spieth as I think he recovers next year and wins the Masters where I think he’s comfortable. Just my prediction. McIlroy will have a good shot at PGA though where he won the Match Play a few years back (Harding Park).

Edited by ChrisP

Rory has played at a high level (with the exception of the Open) this season and appears to have more of a killer instinct than Jordan.  I would like to see Spieth get on track for another Major but he just seems hesitant and unsure of himself to me.  

Spieth is coming up donut. Wow.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

18 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Why in the world would that surprise you?   In the last 2 seasons, he hasn’t won anything and only has 9 top 10’s.

There are 20 guys that, if I had to pick, I’d pick to win a Major before him right now!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

What does that mean? 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Definitely Rory, he is arguably the best golfer in the world right now, he is miles ahead of Jordan who seems to really be struggling the last while. 

I think they both will before it’s all said and done but no question that Rory is the one who looks better right now. Spieth plays the Masters well tho so can’t count him out there which ironically is the one Rory needs to complete the slam.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Why in the world would that surprise you?   In the last 2 seasons, he hasn’t won anything and only has 9 top 10’s.

There are 20 guys that, if I had to pick, I’d pick to win a Major before him right now!

Things can change quickly. Out of the 20 guys voting, I thought there would be one contrarian.

Steve

How did Jordan do so well in the first place?  The answer here is Rory McIIroy.  I said a while back that he hadn't been playing to his potential.  He's doing now what I thought he should be doing all along.  If he keeps his putting skills up, the 3 players to beat will be Rory, Brooks and Xander.  These players will be the new "Big 3." 

On 8/25/2019 at 3:25 PM, nevets88 said:

Thought about this reading the Spieth thread. Open Championship returns to Royal St Georges next year, McIlroy has won there. Or is the answer none of the above, Koepka is unstoppable, lol.

If that was an option you contemplated, you should have included it as an option in the poll. And the correct verbiage is "neither" of the above, since there were only two other options. Neener, neener!

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Things can change quickly. Out of the 20 guys voting, I thought there would be one contrarian.

Why? I'm actually a Spieth fan, but I recognize reality. Spieth just looks lost to me! He plays good one day, bad the next. And he's lost one of the hallmarks of his game when he was on top, his putting. Remember how phenomenal he was on long putts? He made bombs! Now it seems he doesn't do that anymore, and he also now misses the 4-5-6 footers, on which most of the top pros are nails! 

18 hours ago, JGus said:

Zero

image.png.ebbfa1fcbe1786a253470ea7e50b203a.png

You couldn't pick a better donut than that for illustration???  I hate sprinkles especially rainbow sprinkles.

And now back to the topic...

I have to agree with @Piz  as Spieth always seem to do well at the Masters, which is the next major coming up.  But everywhere else, I would take Rory in a heartbeat.  I always liked Rory.  He seems to have lost a little bit of edge for a while there, but I think he is back on the solid ground. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!