IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

Would You Rather...? #23: Play a round of golf at a slow pace (5+ hours) with great company, or play at your preferred pace but paired with obnoxious playing partners?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Would You Rather...? #23: Play a round of golf at a slow pace (5+ hours) with great company, or play at your preferred pace but paired with obnoxious playing partners?

OOoooooo... this is a good one.     I believe even though I like my friends and they are great company, I'd take the preferred pace with an obnoxious playing partner.   It would only last 3 hours and I'd be done.    I don't hesitate to speak my mind so if the player was too obnoxious, I'd let them know.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Because I’m used to 5+ hour rounds, actually 6 is not uncommon and have experienced 7, I’ll take the first option. Not sure how my answer would change if my rounds were typically under 4 hours. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

My answer is the first option. Great company makes me not care much about golf. Easy to forget the round is slow if the time is passing well.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

It would only last 3 hours and I'd be done.

I’ve played rounds with people where three hours feels too long.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Because I’m used to 5+ hour rounds, actually 6 is not uncommon and have experienced 7, I’ll take the first option. Not sure how my answer would change if my rounds were typically under 4 hours. 

Would your answer change if slow round meant 7+ hours? The question is kind of intended to be a slow round for you. If five hours is typical, you should think of a time that you’d consider slow.

Actually I know how you feel about slow play...

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

52 minutes ago, billchao said:

Would your answer change if slow round meant 7+ hours? The question is kind of intended to be a slow round for you. If five hours is typical, you should think of a time that you’d consider slow.

Yeah, I would change my answer. Not uncommon to work with super obnoxious people all day, I can go shields up during golf, no problem.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, billchao said:

For me, it’s almost always about having a good time. I would much rather play a 5-plus-hour round while enjoying my friends’ company than play a 3.5-hour round while being driven insane by my playing partners.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I'd choose the 5+ hour round with great company. The length of the round wouldn't bother me. Never has, and never will. Besides, who'd pass up playing with great company? Plus, since they were "great company", they probably wouldn't mind the 5+ hour round either. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
3 hours ago, billchao said:

The first, easily. If it was the second I'd probably leave after the front nine, or hang back and play as a solo or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, billchao said:

As much as I hate playing long rounds, I think I would go with the great company here. Even semi-annoying people drain me during golf, so I imagine truly obnoxious playing partners would make the normal round feel like a 5-hour round.

Plus, as others have mentioned, I play golf for the enjoyment of it, so I'd rather be with people who add to that.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Great company absolutely.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This one is easy.  I would much rather play a slow round with great company as I am more in it for hanging with the guys.  I've been blessed to have not been forced to play with obnoxious partners, though I have played with a few that were all about how fast they could get 18 in.....ugggh!  Now that was not fun!  For me golf is meant to be about enjoying a leisurely pace, taking in the scenery and building great memories....none of which happen seem to be part of the latter. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

5 hours ago, billchao said:

That's a lay-up for me. I'd take the slow round with great company. Not even a question. Obviously, I'd prefer to have the pace be quicker, but slow play doesn't usually bother me. I'm all but positive the pace of play does NOT affect my score. 

One of my best rounds I've ever played we were stuck behind an outing. It took what seemed like forever, but I still shot one of my best rounds. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I am going to say answer A, but with a caveat. Do people not call the clubhouse when pace is slow? If I can take answer A and still call the clubhouse on whatever hole that I can't take it anymore (usually it's near the turn) then that is my answer, even if the marshals don't do anything about the slow play.

If I am not allowed to call the clubhouse (say if I don't have my phones for these rounds), then I will take option B. For me, my preferred pace is sub 2:30 (walking). If they can keep up with that, they can play with me any day, even if they are nasty. I will even fix their ball marks for them if I have to so that I can get my round in on my own time. Since I am walking anyway, I will most likely only be near them on tees and greens.

If it is a forced cart round, then A is supreme. Too many variables on this one for me, but these are my answers. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

36 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Great company absolutely.

If you didn’t want to play golf with me, you could have just said so 😜

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Great company...on 8 outta 10 days. The other 2, welp, I need to get home above all else, obnoxious or not as long there ain't a fist fight or something... Ha.

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, billchao said:

A.  Easily

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, billchao said:

If you didn’t want to play golf with me, you could have just said so 😜

It is great fun! You hit into other fairways and I hit it into fescue. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, billchao said:

Great company, every time.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.