IGNORED

The Most Demoralizing Shot in Golf

Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

I have learned that great opportunities to score are a mirage for someone of my skill until the ball is on the green.

Same goes for me. I’ve taken one shot to get on the green from 200 out, and three or more from 120 out. Unfortunately, putting is the only consistent part of my game right now.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it's misjudging a pitch over a bunker and landing short... in the bunker. Hit it!

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The third shot on a par 5 after two good shots that leave me with anywhere from 20 to 50 yards from the hole. All that's left is to get pitch shot up close for a chance for a birdie and then I either:

1. Hit a chunk that goes into the pond or a trap guarding the front of the green or.....
  2. Over or under cook the pitch shot leaving me with a longish approach putt.

Either one of these drives me insane.

• Like 1

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator

Tiger's three-putt from 2' for a four-putt hole and a double-bogey six to start round 2.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/18/2020 at 6:21 PM, snapfade said:

In all fairness, ChiChi did NOT duff that shot - he hit the glass and frame setup square on...

So perhaps any shot you hit perfectly, and then it gets a horrible bounce.  Or the great shot that goes right where it's supposed to, and then you get there and the ball can't be found...

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:32 AM, DeadMan said:

For me, it's a shank. The next couple of shots after a shank are really nerve wracking. 

Close second is a shanked chip. Those are just wtf moments. 

This for me, too. Every so often I get the shanks with my wedges and nothing will make me feel more nervous on the course.

5 hours ago, PSherrard01 said:

This for me, too. Every so often I get the shanks with my wedges and nothing will make me feel more nervous on the course.

I used to do this as well, especially on partial wedges. I lived in fear of the 20 to 60 yard pitch! Then one day my buddy said he could see what I was doing, but wouldn't tell me unless i wanted him to! Are you kidding? Tell me, please! He said I wasn't really making a swing on those shots. I would just flip the club behind me, and throw the clubhead at the ball way from inside out! Basically, just throwing the hosel at the ball. Also, I didn't get the lower body involved at all! 

I started working on this during the rest of the round, then took the lesson to the range. I rarely shank a partial chip now. 

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Tiger's three-putt from 2' for a four-putt hole and a double-bogey six to start round 2.

For a brief moment he looked human, then closed with a 71.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

18 hours ago, iacas said:

That’s definitely demoralizing. Not just for Tiger, but for his fans as well. I looked at the leaderboard yesterday, and when I saw 4-putt, I thought, “That doesn’t sound like Tiger to me.” And how on earth did he send the putt five feet past from two feet?! 

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

1 hour ago, dagolfer18 said:

That’s definitely demoralizing. Not just for Tiger, but for his fans as well. I looked at the leaderboard yesterday, and when I saw 4-putt, I thought, “That doesn’t sound like Tiger to me.” And how on earth did he send the putt five feet past from two feet?! 

Easy done on proper fast greens

Stevie T

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 1:44 AM, boogielicious said:

Hitting a wedge heavy really irks me. You are in a zone to get it close with a 3/4 SW and hit it fat. 😫

Yes esp. after a brilliant drive like one of the best your've done in last few games 300+yards centre of the fairway 50-60y out and you dumb-rush a wedge shot hit it thin watch the ball just miss the pin and roll over the back down a steep bank and end up in the worst location possible ... usually killing your chances of a sub 80 as you 4-putt

Go Foxy Go

I have another one I forgot about. The escape from the bunker behind the green that lands 10' short of the hole and rolls past the hole down into the bunker in the front of the green. That happened to me.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I have such a deep inferiority complex that bad shots do not bother me although an OB tee ball hurts.  I rarely lose a ball but I'd say a lost ball or OB hurts the most.  Water is just one shot and you can make it up, but a lost ball leaves a mark.

Nothing worse than.....the "hosel rocket". frustrated james van der beek GIF

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• 2 weeks later...

For me it’s any second shot after a good center of the fairway drive. If I hit a terrible drive I feel nothing with the second. Put that ball in the fairway and I’m sweating bullets to hit a decent second and not waste a good drive.