IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

1 minute ago, Billy Z said:

I guess what I was trying to say was that it we eliminate the original C19 virus, there won't be an opportunity for variants. Maybe I am misunderstanding something here?

The "original C19 virus" has already mutated so now you have the original plus the mutations (or "variants"). Eventually, if not already and if not contained, the variants will mutate as well, causing even more strains. It's also possible to have "variants" that are less successful than the original virus - those, of course, would be of less concern.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The "original C19 virus" has already mutated so now you have the original plus the mutations (or "variants"). Eventually, if not already and if not contained, the variants will mutate as well, causing even more strains. It's also possible to have "variants" that are less successful than the original virus - those, of course, would be of less concern.

Thanks. Also, aren't variants less harmful than the original?

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Thanks. Also, aren't variants less harmful than the original?

Sometimes. They can also be much more dangerous.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Why is Michigan having "huge increases in cases, when states like Texas, Florida, and the other states that opened up are not? I don't know." (someone else said that).  Maybe because locking down, masks, and vaccines didn't work. I know you you guys won't admit it because you've already got your shot, or you've been on here boasting about "the science" for so long, that now your pride is more important than admitting you got dooped.

I'm thinking about the next round now. How long the first set of shots will last I guess is TBD, 6 months so far. Hopefully, by that time, getting shots will be a prosaic thing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

18 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Why is Michigan having "huge increases in cases, when states like Texas, Florida, and the other states that opened up are not? I don't know." (someone else said that).  Maybe because locking down, masks, and vaccines didn't work. I know you you guys won't admit it because you've already got your shot, or you've been on here boasting about "the science" for so long, that now your pride is more important than admitting you got dooped.

Well, I have gotten my vaccines, and believe they do work, along with other preventative measures. It's just common sense, along with getting the flu shot annually. The preventative measures, like wearing masks and distancing has got to help some. Would you or anybody want an infected person coughing right next to you? or would you feel safer that this person were no around you, or at least wearing a mask? This article claims that the rise in michigan is not fully understood yet, and also mentions the variants that are now present in Michigan:

(EDIT: please note what was said close to the end of the video that 'most of the cases are in the 50 year old age group, not the 65 year old group that has already been vaccinated)

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/whats-behind-rising-michigan-covid-cases?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&category=homepage-showcase

Edited by Billy Z
additional info added

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

22 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Yeah, you’re right. After I read all the evidence in you post I realize now that I’ve been duped by science. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Well, I have gotten my vaccines, and believe they do work, along with other preventative measures. It's just common sense, along with getting the flu shot annually. The preventative measures, like wearing masks and distancing has got to help some. Would you or anybody want an infected person coughing right next to you? or would you feel safer that this person were no around you, or at least wearing a mask? This article claims that the rise in michigan is not fully understood yet, and also mentions the variants that are now present in Michigan:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavirus/whats-behind-rising-michigan-covid-cases?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&category=homepage-showcase

Haven't had the flu or the common cold since I was a kid. Somehow I've managed that without ever getting a flu shot, and never being concerned about my distance between other people. I knew we were screwed when I would look down at the car passing me, and the driver was wearing a mask alone in his own car. 

46 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Maybe because locking down, masks, and vaccines didn't work. I know you you guys won't admit it because you've already got your shot, or you've been on here boasting about "the science" for so long, that now your pride is more important than admitting you got dooped.

TRUCKER... have you, by any chance, read the article posted by Iacas about the trucker who so sadly died of the coronavirus?  It is post #1761.  It might give you some humility... and humanity.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

2 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

your pride is more important than admitting you got dooped.

Dooped ... Duped by what? 
... The half a million Americans who are now dead?

Including my next door neighbor... the owner of a TRUCKING COMPANY! 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Stop posting in this topic. You’re embarrassing yourself.

That’s now a rule.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Haven't had the flu or the common cold since I was a kid. Somehow I've managed that without ever getting a flu shot, and never being concerned about my distance between other people. I knew we were screwed when I would look down at the car passing me, and the driver was wearing a mask alone in his own car. 

You're in no hurry to stop embarrassing yourself are you?

And so what if you saw a person taking self preservation to a silly extreme? That doesn't negate what smart people do.

I have had a Fluvax every year since they became available.

I'm supposed to be getting my first Covid shot on Wednesday. That'll be a great day.

It's pretty sad that in your desperate attempts to offend "woke" types you put yourself and others at risk.

But... I'll bet you can send us some "links" to prove that the governments of every country in the world colluded to bankrupt themselves and have the thrill of seeing people living in fear. What a moron.

I also love the way you say "the science" in quotation marks. Imagine yourself in a debate with a scientist - Fauci, for instance - and how you'd be turned into minced meat. I'd pay to watch someone like him - or a smart 12 year old - destroy every one of your crackpot delusions in 5 seconds.

image.jpg

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Please let’s back off any name calling.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Reported today:

The state has seen its COVID rates skyrocket in recent days, with more than 6,000 new cases reported Wednesday and Thursday. With a positivity rate around 15 percent, Michigan now enjoys the dubious distinction of having the most cases per capita nationwide. The surge comes as state health officials have warned that a significant number of outbreaks and cases associated with the March surge are tied to schools, primarily extracurriculars like sports.

“The largest number of outbreaks are in K-12 school settings,” Sarah Lyon-Callo, the epidemiology director at the state health department, said during a press conference last month. She noted that spread was minimal in classrooms and coming instead from extracurricular activities.

“We are certainly identifying outbreaks that are associated with sports,” Lyon-Callo added.

As of early this week, there were more than 270 outbreaks tied to Michigan schools, with the state reporting an additional 70 outbreaks in their weekly update on Monday, and hundreds of students infected.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

This is probably a "duh" study at this point, but wanted to share:

F210311YS23-2-1024x640.jpg

Just as doctors hoped, COVID shots aren’t just helping the inoculated, but also providing ‘cross-protection’ to the rest, new research finds

The more adults that get vaccinated, the less likely kids are to get the vaccine. This should be fairly obvious given what we've found out from the vaccines, but it's still good to see a study that conclude this. If enough adults get vaccinated, kids should have a normal school year next year. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

The Texas mask mandate (and all other restrictions) ended on March 10. They continue to reach new lows in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Doesn't look like a Leon Lett situation to me. 

8d1f345a-8295-4533-ac03-cfb40596f74f_114

The state's current 14-day average of new daily COVID-19 cases is 2,225. This is the lowest it has been since June 6-19 when it was 2,158.

- Mark

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Braivo said:

The Texas mask mandate (and all other restrictions) ended on March 10. They continue to reach new lows in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Doesn't look like a Leon Lett situation to me. 

8d1f345a-8295-4533-ac03-cfb40596f74f_114

The state's current 14-day average of new daily COVID-19 cases is 2,225. This is the lowest it has been since June 6-19 when it was 2,158.

Texas is one state.

How’s your state doing, Leon?

How are the Canucks doing?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets