Jump to content
IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic


Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
57 minutes ago, WillieT said:

Sad thing - NC's governor wants all schools to go back to in person teaching, but won't push to have all the teachers vaccinated first....go figure.  Like I said the whirlpool is spinning faster and faster.  

I’m sorry to hear  - yeah that sounds asinine 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh goodness, Florida.

That's just scary.   A lot different than where I live.   There are plastic shields between the workers and the shoppers and the store is counting people to make sure there aren't too many.     It is very rare to see anyone w/o a mask.

 

2 hours ago, WillieT said:

Ever feel like you are in a whirlpool and you are on the verge of going under.  The missus came home last Fri from her school where she teaches totally drained, went to bed thinking her sinuses were the reason (she deals with allergies and such all the time).  Fast forward to last night - she loses all sense of smell.  Gets tested today - if positive, we quarantine.  Sad thing - NC's governor wants all schools to go back to in person teaching, but won't push to have all the teachers vaccinated first....go figure.  Like I said the whirlpool is spinning faster and faster.  

That's tough.  Hoping for the best.  Schools here started back up a few weeks ago but I've decided they don't need me as much as I need to stay safe.   I've signed up to get the vaccine but there are over 30k on the waiting list and they are getting about 1k / week.   There was a story in the local paper that teacher are either retiring or quitting because of the stress of the job.   That is sad because they are/should be a "very" essential worker.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

That's just scary.   A lot different than where I live.   There are plastic shields between the workers and the shoppers and the store is counting people to make sure there aren't too many.     It is very rare to see anyone w/o a mask.

My grocery store, high on customer service, has a policy that you must wear a mask.  One evening, in need of milk for the next morning's coffee, I zipped into the store.  I forgot to put on my mask and within 5 seconds and 15 feet of the door three clerks descended upon me, all offering me a mask.  Sheepishly I went back out to the car and got mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, WillieT said:

Ever feel like you are in a whirlpool and you are on the verge of going under.  The missus came home last Fri from her school where she teaches totally drained, went to bed thinking her sinuses were the reason (she deals with allergies and such all the time).  Fast forward to last night - she loses all sense of smell.  Gets tested today - if positive, we quarantine.  Sad thing - NC's governor wants all schools to go back to in person teaching, but won't push to have all the teachers vaccinated first....go figure.  Like I said the whirlpool is spinning faster and faster.  

I’m sorry your missus has COVID and hope everything is going well for her.

My GF is a 5th grade Special Education teacher, she is going back to school in a little over a week and she can’t wait to go back.  Her opinion is that her kids need in-person teaching and why should she stay home, when the grocery stores, restaurants and Walmart employees are coming in contact with far more people every day.  She says, what makes teachers more special then these other people?

At her school, they all mask, check temperatures every morning of the kids, social distance and the class size is far smaller. And at the end of the day, her job is to teach and if they say it is safe to come back, she’s going back and teach her kids, that’s her job. 

To-date, her school has not had a positive test and she went to school every day until right before Halloween when they went total distance learning.  

I myself have only worked from home 3 days in the last year (all weather related), other than that I’ve gone to the office every day.  All of my staff are field workers, except a couple engineers, but I wouldn’t think of working from home when they are out in the field working every day.  My field staff are essential employees and can’t work from home, unless of course, nobody wants drinking water.  

Unfortunately not one-size fits all for everything, and we each must weigh our own risks.  

Edited by jsgolfer
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/4/2021 at 7:42 PM, jsgolfer said:

I’m sorry your missus has COVID and hope everything is going well for her.

My GF is a 5th grade Special Education teacher, she is going back to school in a little over a week and she can’t wait to go back.  Her opinion is that her kids need in-person teaching and why should she stay home, when the grocery stores, restaurants and Walmart employees are coming in contact with far more people every day.  She says, what makes teachers more special then these other people?

At her school, they all mask, check temperatures every morning of the kids, social distance and the class size is far smaller. And at the end of the day, her job is to teach and if they say it is safe to come back, she’s going back and teach her kids, that’s her job. 

To-date, her school has not had a positive test and she went to school every day until right before Halloween when they went total distance learning.  

I myself have only worked from home 3 days in the last year (all weather related), other than that I’ve gone to the office every day.  All of my staff are field workers, except a couple engineers, but I wouldn’t think of working from home when they are out in the field working every day.  My field staff are essential employees and can’t work from home, unless of course, nobody wants drinking water.  

Unfortunately not one-size fits all for everything, and we each must weigh our own risks.  

Thanks man - she is doing well.  Mostly feels like she's dealing with an sinus infection/cold.  Driving her crazy as she loves to be in the outdoors, especially walks at the ocean even in the dead of winter.   Just a few more days and we will be able to that again!   BTW - Her school does do the temp checks, class spacing  and encourages mask wearing, but the mask wearing has not been mandatory.  

Good thing in terms of work, I do part-time work for a company in CA, while here in NC.  So I can sit at the lap-top and do what is needed, get up and go in the backyard to hit some pitches or chips OR go into the hall to putt to my heart's content!  

 

On 2/4/2021 at 6:21 PM, dennyjones said:

That's just scary.   A lot different than where I live.   There are plastic shields between the workers and the shoppers and the store is counting people to make sure there aren't too many.     It is very rare to see anyone w/o a mask.

 

That's tough.  Hoping for the best.  Schools here started back up a few weeks ago but I've decided they don't need me as much as I need to stay safe.   I've signed up to get the vaccine but there are over 30k on the waiting list and they are getting about 1k / week.   There was a story in the local paper that teacher are either retiring or quitting because of the stress of the job.   That is sad because they are/should be a "very" essential worker.  

Yup - teachers are definitely essential!  NC Governor wants everyone back in the classroom, but has not pushed to have the teachers vaccinated.  Yes, we know of a number of teachers walking away because of this as well.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife and I are both scheduled to get our second shot this week. It's very exciting to think we might be able to visit relatives that have also been vaccinated. I tend to be an optimistic person, so it looks like there might just be a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

My wife and I are both scheduled to get our second shot this week. It's very exciting to think we might be able to visit relatives that have also been vaccinated. I tend to be an optimistic person, so it looks like there might just be a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Same here . . . we both get our second shots 2/19.  Have to go 150 miles to find a decent vaccine event, but it's worth it.

Looking forward to golf again, about the time the zoysia turns green.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, Sandy Divot said:

My wife and I are both scheduled to get our second shot this week. It's very exciting to think we might be able to visit relatives that have also been vaccinated. I tend to be an optimistic person, so it looks like there might just be a little light at the end of the tunnel.

We get our 2nd Moderna next week but even then it'll take a couple of weeks for the vaccination to reach its full potential in our bodies. and, when it does, I'm sure we're still going to maintain vigilance and care in our activities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
10 hours ago, Zippo said:

We get our 2nd Moderna next week but even then it'll take a couple of weeks for the vaccination to reach its full potential in our bodies. and, when it does, I'm sure we're still going to maintain vigilance and care in our activities.

Let us know how it goes. And if you end up looking like your avatar, I may get the Pfizer one instead. 😜

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Let us know how it goes. And if you end up looking like your avatar, I may get the Pfizer one instead. 😜

I think this is what the 2nd shot will do to me:

 

IMG_20201005_151425331.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my second dose yesterday. I feel pretty sore all over and tired. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I got my second dose yesterday. I feel pretty sore all over and tired. 

Perfect time to play a round of golf...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, colin007 said:

So does this South Africa strain mean errybody is EFFED?

Sounds like Astra Zenica's vaccine is worthless against SA variant.  While not as effective, it appears Pfizer's and Moderna's vaccines do still provide some protection agains SA variant.

Feels like it's a cat and mouse game with the vaccine and Covid variant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

So does this South Africa strain mean errybody is EFFED?

 

_116858909_epa.jpg

A study of the vaccine's efficacy against the South Africa variant shows "disappointing" results.

 

pfizer-south-africa.jpg?quality=90&strip

Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine provides protection against the highly contagious variant of the virus that emerged in South Africa, a new study shows. People who received the Pfizer shots had

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd rather take my chance against the "variants" vaccinated rather than not. I also misspoke earlier. I'm 10 days away from the 2nd shot - not next week. My apologies. Fortunately, I may be old and forgetful but I still put the pointy end of the tee peg in the ground, not the other end. Whew!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Perfect time to play a round of golf...

I hit balls today!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. alkaman
      alkaman
      (37 years old)
    2. magnolia
      magnolia
      (29 years old)
    3. masoshe21
      masoshe21
      (25 years old)
    4. mp33man
      mp33man
      (35 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...