IGNORED

Why Do You Play Golf?

phedrick
Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play because I can still be better than I was yesterday. My track and field career bests are behind me, and while I can still compete against people within my age group I will never be the same guy who was able to hold his own in flights and heats against world champs and olympians. I just can’t be that fast and jump that far anymore. I still believe the best Golf of my life is ahead of me. 

I also play because it is a game that challenges the mind and the body. It’s not physically taxing per se but the body has to be in technically sound positions to deliver the clubhead to the ball as desired repeatedly. I have to think and use my mind to accurately strategize around the course and overcome the bad times and shots. 

Lastly- I play for fun. Fun of friendly competition, fun of architecture and its impact on the game, fun of just playing with my Dad or a friend I haven’t seen in awhile. Some many reasons and ways to have fun playing this game. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I PLAY golf for a few reasons.

• Competition- I love to compete it's a big part of who I am. 
  • Challenge- It's fun to have something to work at and try to improve. I get a lot of satisfaction when I play well knowing I put in a lot of work to get here.
  • Exercise- Playing 18 holes walking at my course burns about 2000 calories.
  • Camaraderie- Many of my friends I have made on the golf course.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, RetiredOldMan said:

I have Parkinson's in my right hand that was brought on by Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Diet and exercise will almost completely remove my tremor.  (I also take medications) 

That is mainly why I golf.

I also just enjoy the game. 

Retired Old Man

Thank you for your service. Enjoy the golf and play well. 

• Like 3

I originally started playing to relax and enjoy the outdoors more. In addition to finding a sport that wasn’t so hard on my body. Little did I know bad golf isn’t so relaxing. I was hooked pretty much from the first round. I kept playing because of the few beautiful shots that everyone has.I could hit 1000 bad shots but will only ever remember the 2 good ones lol.  It’s also nice to truly be able to get everything out of my head and only focus on golf. Kind of like a for of therapy.  Then when my son was born I hoped he would pick up the game and give us something to do when I get older. Turns out he does love it and pretty much better than I am. We play every year around Fathers Day. Never on because that would be frowned upon by the boss. She likes to have us home on Sunday. About 5 years ago I started combining my birthday, which is in May and usually on or around Mother’s Day, and Fathers Day. So I don’t get short changed in May and in June I can really ham it up. Like i told my son a few weeks ago, it’s about me having fun and watching him get better now. 

• Like 1

It started out as a fun afternoon at chance to smash balls at range...who wouldn't enjoy that? Must have made contact 5 times out of a full bucket and blisters on the hand to show for. But that one good hit changed everything. It was instant addiction. 

15 years later, it has become what can only be best described by the faithful as blind religion.

The camaraderie in misery, the grind with distant sprinkles of pure joy, the competition, the science, the art, the travel, the release, where do I stop.........?

Few things in life offer a feeling of greater accomplishment than a flushed 8 iron. Oh, the parks don't seem to be too bad either.. 

• Like 1

Vishal S.

I tried to explain recently why I play golf, and the answer came down to that it would feel stupid to just quit something I'm pretty good at. Maybe not the best answer. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

It was in reply to another political post for God's sake

I don’t care. No politics. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

53 minutes ago, jamo said:

I tried to explain recently why I play golf, and the answer came down to that it would feel stupid to just quit something I'm pretty good at. Maybe not the best answer.

I retired and I didn't feel stupid.   Face it, you're addicted just like the rest of us!☺️

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Few things in life offer a feeling of greater accomplishment than a flushed 8 iron.

Just wait until you pure a 4 iron.

2 hours ago, jamo said:

It's probably not the real answer, either, if you think about it.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I retired and I didn't feel stupid.   Face it, you're addicted just like the rest of us!☺️

There are golfers.. and then there are golfers who actively participate on a golf forum :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Just wait until you pure a 4 iron.

I'll know I'm dead and in heaven...😇

2 hours ago, jamo said:

it would feel stupid to just quit something I'm pretty good at.

I would too and I'm not half as good..

• Like 1

Vishal S.

• iacas changed the title to Why Do You Play Golf?
  • Administrator

Because bowling alleys are gross?

That's not why. I like that everything is basically completely up to me, not a teammate or another person.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because bowling alleys are gross?

They can get pretty nasty, lol. I was hoping my league would switch bowling alleys last year, but no dice. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 months later...

I play for the challenge. I've played for a long time with little improvement but continued to love the game. Since moving to Minnesota and marrying my wife who plays I've enjoyed golf even more. With her mental game guidance I've become the kind of player I've always wanted to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Generally speaking, casual amateur golf is an outlet from the real world where most things are gray. In golf, it’s black and white-the scorecard doesn’t lie.  That is extremely appealing in an ever growing more complicated world. 

You get to be outside in a nice setting being moderately physical with a simple overall goal in mind.  You not only use the analytical left side of your brain, you also can use the creative right side of your brain-usually very appealing to the human condition. 

• Like 1

1. It's what passes for exercise for me. Used to be soccer and surfing. I don't live near the ocean now, and my ankle and knee won't let me play soccer, but golf let's me get out and chase a ball around a field.
  2. It's a great technical challenge, and since it's difficult (for me!) it leaves constant room for improvement.  It's nice to feel like I'm getting better. And even if it's rare for me, it's fantastic to imagine a shot and then pull it off.
  3. It's nice to feel optimistic every time I head to the course.  And when it goes south, it's still a great technical challenge!
  4. If you take it shot-by-shot, you get to achieve perfection 18 times per round. The object is to get the ball in the hole - so each time the ball drops in, that shot was perfect.  Those shots that came before... well, okay. But 18 strokes per round are guaranteed to be perfect!  And that sound, when the ball rattles around the cup - that's the sound of perfection! (And why you should always putt out!)
  5. It helps me work on my personality flaws. I'm impatient. Golf helps me practice patience, especially on slow days. I'm too critical. Golf helps me practice letting go of failures and focusing on what's in front of me.
  6. Competition. I don't play tournaments much, but when I do, the competition has been really enjoyable (even better when I've done well).

I think that's a start for me.

• Like 3

Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!