IGNORED

Finchem Says Most Golf Fans Don't Want to Know About Disciplinary Actions

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 3315 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do want to know about disciplinary actions against PGA Tour players?

• Yes
    • No

Yeah, like that year Maran Cilic pulled out of Wimbledon with an injury that turned out to be a drug ban! Or Armstrong's failed positives that got buried or covered by back dated exemptions.

Cilic really isn't a good example. Not at all. He pulled out of a failed drug test, yes, but the actual suspension he received a few months later after they were 100% sure about failing the test and was made plubic without any secrecy. Like all suspensions in tennis. In Armstrong his case, is pure speculation if and that UCI knew about the EPO and other stuff. In fact, a lot of cyclers received suspensions. That something is seriously wrong in cycling is absolutely true, that was not my point. Point is that fining and suspending shouldn't be in secrecy in my opinion, like in most other sports.

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suspect that Finchem cannot say what is one of the big reasons why the tour doesn't want the information public, at least in my opinion.   The fact that publishing these might harm the PGA Tour's image and the bottom line there is sponsorship dollars.   The tour has a great product, not affected by some of the scandals in other sports.   I'm really surprised that they went the way they did with Casey Martin, but I cannot think of another time where they haven't taken action to make sure that they are as squeaky clean as they can be.   And the main reason for that is to keep sponsors happy.

Once you start to publish disciplinary actions, all of a sudden the narrative could be "OMG!  2 golfers tested positive for something last year!   It's an epidemic!"

The Tour has spent years building it's image and they don't want this public to harm that image.  One of the talking points about the TV rights negotiations, 1 or 2 back, was that as the economy was softening the tour managed to keep purses stable and revenue up.   And the quote at the time from Tim Finchem was how golf was unaffected by issues in other sports.   That's where the money comes from.

—Adam

Quote:
“I’ve said this many times,” he said. “We don’t think the fans really want to know about most of the stuff we would be talking about. We don’t think there’s a large volume of it, and we don’t think much of it is very serious.”

That seems like a pretty ignorant statement for Finchem to make, or at least poor wording.  I think there are two categories of people:  Those who definitely want to know, and those (like me) who don't really care all that much.  But I doubt that there is a group that actually does not want to know.

I can understand why they wouldn't make disciplinary actions public but Finchem is kidding himself if he thinks there are fans that aren't interested or intrigued. Most of the disciplinary stuff probably isn't "juicy" PED scandals and more along the lines of minor fines.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I voted no. Golf announcers have so little to talk about yet are so full of hot air I don't want them to have anything else to incessantly drone about while I am trying to watch golf.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I think Finchem is completely wrong on this one. I want to know, especially the minor ones (so I can scoff at what they seem to care about). He could be completely wrong on the next 100 things he decides and would still be the best commissioner in professional sports today.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I want to know the PEDS users.  I don't need the point to be belabored by the commentators every time the guy is shown on the screen but we as fans have a right to know who's cheating and who isn't.

Joe Paradiso

It is beyond low on my priority list as well. It absolutely does nothing for me, and my knowledge of the disciplinary actions does nothing to change the situation. It's not like I'll stop supporting a certain brand if I find out their representative is on drugs (PEDs are already announced). As long as the representative isn't a cheat (in golf) or a racist POS, the TOUR can deal with it in-house.

I've never bought into the golf is a game of gentlemen BS. I've played other sports competitively (Soccer, Basketbal, running), and I've never met a larger groups of A-holes than I did in golf.

I want to know the PEDS users.  I don't need the point to be belabored by the commentators every time the guy is shown on the screen but we as fans have a right to know who's cheating and who isn't.

If I understand correctly, PED violators are announced, right? I may be wrong though

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

That seems like a pretty ignorant statement for Finchem to make, or at least poor wording.  I think there are two categories of people:  Those who definitely want to know, and those (like me) who don't really care all that much.  But I doubt that there is a group that actually does not want to know.

I agree. It's one thing for Finchem to say that he doesn't want to release the information for reasons X, Y, and Z, it's another for him to assume we all wouldn't want it to be released. I'm not sure if that's something he truly believes or if he's just bullshitting.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I feel the results of this poll are going to be overwhelmingly in favor of transparency. I feel that Finchem thinks that the tour players are interchangeable, like we don't care about them. This is where he has got it all wrong. We want to know about the stars we root for. If they are using PEDs we want to know. Even recreational, take Daly as an example, I feel it makes his story more genuine knowing more about him.

This was a silly and mindless thing for Finchem to say.

I'm not sure if that's something he truly believes or if he's just bullshitting.

So from my seats he is full of BS, or he is out of touch with reality.

Michael

Relevant... [URL=http://espn.go.com/golf/story?storyId=12458833]John Daly: Drug Testing Not Random[/URL] Keeping the disciplinary process a secret damages the tour's credibility; that's my primary concern.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Golfers, especially professional tour golfers, are put on a pedestal regarding self reported rules violations. No other sport has this requirement or expectation. Based on this alone, I would expect the professional tour golfer to meet this same expectation with rules violations and penalties that are imposed upon him when he does not self report.

Think about it. How much can you trust any player who is 'caught' breaking rules and must be disciplined, if players are expected to call themselves on all rules violations.

If Finchem wants people to praise and hold in high esteem the players who called a penalty on themselves for accidentally grounding a club in a hazard, he must also denounce players who break rules and have to be 'caught' to be disciplined.

Golfers, especially professional tour golfers, are put on a pedestal regarding self reported rules violations. No other sport has this requirement or expectation. Based on this alone, I would expect the professional tour golfer to meet this same expectation with rules violations and penalties that are imposed upon him when he does not self report.

Think about it. How much can you trust any player who is 'caught' breaking rules and must be disciplined, if players are expected to call themselves on all rules violations.

If Finchem wants people to praise and hold in high esteem the players who called a penalty on themselves for accidentally grounding a club in a hazard, he must also denounce players who break rules and have to be 'caught' to be disciplined.

It's only required that the call penalties on themselves while playing. Drug testing wouldn't be required at all if it extended to non game related infractions.

- Shane

My guess is that, in some sort of strange attempt to be politically correct, Tim Finchem is trying his very best to attenuate (not omit or hide) certain improprieties. Personally, I think complete disclosure of these misdeeds is an absolutely must. Opening the dialogue, vis -à-vis bringing a heightened awareness to the fans, should be customary for the tour. Moreover, I feel these players should appear in front of a committee of peers and be allowed to address their transgressions. It just seems to me that the tour players are held in different regard to other people in sports. When we do finally get the information, it seems to be somewhat gray, as if most of it is bypassed through a tour press filter . Look at the controversy around Vijay and the purported use of antler juice . I'm still trying to understand that one. Those fans who attempt to vicariously understand the life of a tour professional might give them a pass, but at this point in my life as a husband, father, weekend golfer and patriot I am unable to do so.

Ferguson

PS.The real question: Does Finchem have a pgatour.org email account or does he use a personal email account?

He can get away with saying stupid things like this because the bottom line when it comes to Tim Finchem is, well, the bottom line. All the players care about is if he is increasing revenue streams.

Bill M

Relevant...

John Daly: Drug Testing Not Random

Keeping the disciplinary process a secret damages the tour's credibility; that's my primary concern.

Love the honesty out of JD.

Finchem is a serious dirtbag. I'm so tired of this guy.

Golf is the most difficult sport on the planet. Many of the best players ever were by no means "of athletic build". Taking some powder or pill will not correct any faults. These guys have talent beyond belief. For golf I have no concerns whatsoever regarding PEDs. That being said, illicit drugs that have ruined lives, communities and killed people are nothing to be waived. It may not be my business, but I wouldn't be rooting for a player who is using or selling these drugs. That just wouldn't set well with me.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 3315 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!