IGNORED

Did you ever play with steel spikes?

Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Steel Spikes  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Did you ever play with steel spikes?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, do you miss them?

• I miss them.
    • I don't miss them.
    • I never played with steel spikes so I can't vote in the second question.

• Administrator

I played steel spikes. First two years I played golf, right on the cusp of the introduction to soft spikes.

I miss the sound, but I don't miss the damage they did: to the course OR my ankles. I never realized how much better my feet could feel after playing MORE golf until the year I went to soft spikes, and I remember being amazed at how smooth the greens were.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do not miss them. Yes, the sound against concrete was cool. You certainly could not sneak up on anyone walking on concrete. They dug into your feet around the 13th hole.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Back then, golf shoes were very stylish. I still have several pair which I proudly display with other vintage golf items.

Some of the other bad effects caused by spikes, was transporting other grass seeds. Poa Annual,  a grass/weed  could embed in the spikes and would easily be transferred to other golf courses along with fungus and disease to turf. Hopefully someday, rubber spikes will also be discouraged by management due to damage they also cause to bent greens.

They were also dangerous walking on concrete, along with snagging carpet and damage to wood flooring in clubhouses. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

My first golf shoes had steel spikes and I used them for less than a year before I went to soft spikes. I don't miss them. I remember how much lighter my feet felt and that they were a lot more comfortable. 

Heck, now it's been 3 years since I worn golf shoes with any spikes :-)

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Played in them for years, my last pair were Mizuno's that claimed to be permanent spike. They were made out of some sort of ceramic and if they ever wore down or broke the shoes would be replaced.

About 2 years later I had to retire them because they were no longer allowed on courses, and because they were permanent spikes they couldn't be replaced with soft spikes.

Players play, tough players win!

I agree, I do miss the sound of steel spikes on concrete/asphalt.  That's it though. In fact, most of my shoes are spikeless now.

I remember the first time I played a course that required soft spikes. I didn't have any, so I had to play in my Tevas. Shot 2 over for nine holes, and played in those sandals for the next two seasons.

I played with spikes from about the age of 7 until 18. I agree that my feet felt better when going to the soft spike. Although spikes get a bad rap about tearing up greens, I would say this. Learn how to frickin walk proper when on the greens with spikes. Playing hundreds of rounds with my father during the spike era. If he ever saw me drag my feet on a green. I would have been sent straight to the car immediately, round over.

I've never played with them. I'm jealous that I never got to, just because I used to love hearing metal baseball cleats on concrete. Otherwise, I don't really have any desire to use them on the golf course.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have never played with them and I'm not sure I have ever played with someone who had them. I started with soft spikes and I don't miss them, either.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My first golf shoes were soft spikes. By the time I started to get serious into golf the transition away from steel spikes was pretty much complete at most courses. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I played spikes for quite a few years and don't miss them.  Conditions on the greens are much better and traction with today's technology is not a problem.  Most clubhouses and 19th holes allow soft spikes which is another convenience, plus I can practice at my local facility and not have to change shoes to drive to the course.

I remember taking them off after a round was similar to taking off ski boots at the end of the day. Ahhhh.....

I'd like to see Patrick Reed hit a driver w/steel spikes. Might probably hurt himself.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Never used them or got to see their effect on the greens. My question for those who did use spikes, how could you hit off a range mat with them? I figure they'd be ripped apart in a month.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Played in them for almost 20 years.

The only thing I miss is that wonderful sound!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have never seen a pair of metal spikes.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

One other joy was trying to replace the spikes with tool used years ago. One end was used to repair ball marks and the other end for twisting the spikes out. Spikes had threads which usually rusted and removing them sometimes was a B !!!

Most needed to be replaced yearly as they wore down to just a nub about 1/8" long. You could tell when they were worn, the heel would slip easily when making your swing.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I believe many of the golf courses that I played started converting to soft spikes only in 1996 or early 1997, so I used the for about 18 years playing golf. I had a friend modify my spikes to extend them to about 3/4 inch long, then I used them mowing my yard because of steep side hills. I used them for awhile in Texas when mowing my yard to aerate the lawn as I mowed. Those shoes were so heavy and stiff.

Note: This thread is 3050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!