IGNORED

Breaking 80 or no DBs -- which is harder?

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which is Harder?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Harder?

• Breaking 80
    • No double bogeys in a round

No doubles is harder for me.  But, as someone said earlier, it's skill-level dependent.  I've had many rounds in the 70s but very, very few with no doubles.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

My last round had no doubles.   Birdies, Pars and bogeys.  Shot 81, which might lead me to believe that breaking 80 is harder but it was poor putting.   Three three puts cost me shooting below 80 on this one.  And a couple make-able putts that were two putts.

—Adam

I had one DB (Missed a relatively easy putt) last night and shot a 41.

Had I bogeyed it, I'd have been right at the 40 mark for the 9. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts your data haha

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

for me, it's having no double bogeys. when i play, i break 80 about 70% of the time but i usually find a way to make a double out there.

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2016 at 7:46 AM, imsys0042 said:

My last round had no doubles.   Birdies, Pars and bogeys.  Shot 81, which might lead me to believe that breaking 80 is harder but it was poor putting.   Three three puts cost me shooting below 80 on this one.  And a couple make-able putts that were two putts.

And of course I just experienced the reverse last week!  Broke 80 with 3 doubles.   AUGH!

—Adam

I think it has to be harder to have no doubles.  If you have 0 doubles, you are almost a lock to break 80.  it would take some poor putting or an unlucky round to stay above 80 without having a single double on your card. 

on the other hand, people break 80 with doubles on their card all the time.   especially big hitters that manage to card a few birdies as well.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I provided my opinion earlier but to recap, for single-digit, harder to go DB-free, for higher hcap, probablythe other way.

Seeing this again prompted a question.  I wonder if for a pro, an equivalent riddle would be harder to break 70 or go bogey-free?  I would guess it would be similar, the vote would go towards harder to go bogey-free but would be an interesting SI question in their annual anonymous survey.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Did it again yesterday. Shot 76 with 2 doubles. I've broken 80 a handful of times since this thread started and have a least one double bogey each round.

I knew it was hard, I never thought it was that hard!!!

My last two rounds had very few doubles -- three last round (5, 16, 18) and two the round before (1,14).  Even if those convert to pars, I'm still over 80.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Broke 80 for the first time at the weekend and had no doubles. I can definitely play more holes better than I did but the most surprising part of it for me was no doubles. Even on my bad holes I managed to recover and 2 putt even from 45 ft or so a few times. So I'd say no DB is harder, even on a good round me and most I imagine usually have a few loose holes that cost more than a stroke.

I shot my season tying best yesterday with an 82.   I had 3 doubles.    I can see where breaking 80 would be easier than no doubles because I left 2 putts that I should have converted.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

90% of my rounds i break 80 but only 40% of them are dbogey free so i definitly vote for DB Free is harder.

At the moment is what im working at, 0 OB, water and double bogey. A lot of shot zones analisis in progress off the tee.

For my 17 HCP game breaking 80 is much more of a challenge - In 24 years I never have.  I have had rounds with one DB which means I came close the no DB milestone.  But my best score is +14 on a full length course from the middle tees.  For my game, getting 9 or 10 pars in a round is much more difficult than playing for bogey.  

I've shot 77 twice in my life, and both rounds I had a double bogie. So no double bogies is harder.

A few years back  I managed an 84 on a par 70 course, and I had four pars and 14 bogies. (Strange round, the front nine was all bogies!)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!