IGNORED

Article on Eliminating Rakes for Bunkers

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-we-should-do-away-with-bunker-rakes

It would certainly make the tours more interesting.

From David Owen:

Complaints about “unfair” bunkers are especially contrary to the spirit of golf: aren’t hazards supposed to be hazardous? On TV, the standard greenside-bunker shot is about as thrilling to watch as a two-foot putt. You know the guy is going to spin it close, and he knows he’s going to spin it close -- otherwise, he wouldn’t have yelled “Get in the bunker!” when his ball was in the air. Sand’s function in a tour event is often just to make the surrounding grass seem troublesome.

There’s a simple remedy: follow the example of Pine Valley, the legendary New Jersey golf club, which for decades has been listed at or near the top of nearly every ranking of the best courses in the world. Pine Valley has many, many bunkers -- some small, some large, some soft, some hard some coffin-shaped, some bottomless, some seemingly miles across -- but no rakes. The club’s maintenance regularly smooths everything out, but, if your ball ends up in a footprint (or behind a rock or under a cactus), that’s your tough luck, and you deal with it. As you should.

Rake-free bunkers would make televised golf a lot more interesting to watch. They would even be good for choppers like you and me. Pristine, consistent bunkers are expensive to build and maintain. Why not let a course’s sandy areas take care of themselves, and spend the savings on something more obviously beneficial, like cutting back overgrown trees? Most golfers, who can’t hit sand shots anyway, wouldn’t notice a difference. (That guy I mentioned earlier skulls balls from well-conditioned bunkers, too.) Everyone else either would learn an arsenal of useful new shots or would get better at doing what bunkers are supposed to make golfers want to do: stay out of them in the first place.

• Upvote 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• boogielicious changed the title to Article on Eliminating Rakes for Bunkers

My first reaction was that the author must not be a golfer, because I can't imagine why any golfer would want to hit out of a footprint or other imperfection of the sand.  

As I thought more about it, it makes some sense.  When we land in the rough, we're not guaranteed a clean lie to hit from, same goes for hard pan and other non-fairway areas where our ball can end up.  

Most bunker shots, especially for pro golfers are preferable to shots out of rough around the green (except for deep pot bunkers).  If bunkers are placed around the course to protect the course and green, ensuring those areas are well maintained and in pristine condition seems to be contrary to their purpose.  

On the other side, sand traps usually surround the perimeter of a green so does a slightly offline shot warrant having to play a ball out of a footprint.  

I'd like to see some pro courses adopt this policy and see how it impacts play.  It could make it more interesting to watch.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Ha!   My local course has several people that don't rake the bunkers and if you end up in the bunker, it is usually in a footprint!  

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

Better yet… just replace a lot of sand bunkers with rough. They're easier for golfers to play out of, and hate playing out of the rough simultaneously. Grass is much easier and cheaper to maintain as well (compared to a bunker).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The problem with not raking the bunkers is the first players out get the best playing conditions.Those who go out in the afternoon get the worst conditions. The biggest problem I have with bunkers is when they are so deep it is hard to get into the bunker to hit the shot and then it is very difficult to get back out of them. Those us who are in our Golden Years and have bad knees, hips and backs find it very hard to navigate this type of bunker and it seems most of the new courses bring built are like this on many courses. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Better yet… just replace a lot of sand bunkers with rough. They're easier for golfers to play out of, and hate playing out of the rough simultaneously. Grass is much easier and cheaper to maintain as well (compared to a bunker).

hole 2 before.jpghole 2 after.jpg

Check.

hole 3 before.jpghole 3 after.jpg

Check. (trimmed the tree, too)

hole 6 before.jpghole 6 after.jpg

Check.

hole 8 before.jpghole 8 after.jpg

And check.  (Wipes hands on pants, tosses rakes and shovels into cart.)

1 hour ago, shanksalot said:

The problem with not raking the bunkers is the first players out get the best playing conditions.Those who go out in the afternoon get the worst conditions.

Not if they don't get raked at all. (Okay, maybe the evening wind will smooth it out a little.)

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

You could basically just deem all sand traps waste areas instead.  There are a lot of pro courses that have lots of waste bunkers instead of real bunkers.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, phillyk said:

You could basically just deem all sand traps waste areas instead.  There are a lot of pro courses that have lots of waste bunkers instead of real bunkers.

But they're actually waste areas. Like acres and acres.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would not be a fan of what the article in the OP suggests. Also, rake-free bunkers would certainly not "make televised golf a lot more interesting to watch." It just wouldn't. No one gets jazzed about bunkers when watching golf, and no one's going to. 

If a course wanted to mix it up with some grass bunkers and waste areas, sure, I'd be into that for the variety. But not as a general rule. 

(Well, not so much actual waste areas, but more like scraggly hardpan.)

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Dustin Johnson is nodding furiously at this!

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I may have mentioned the make over of a local course that resembles a link type of course now. They have vast waste areas, complete with cacti, succulents, sand e.t.c. in front of the tee boxes that you need to clear, but are not penalized if you hit out of them. Actually makes the holes more interesting. (Boulder Oaks, North San Diego County)

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I would be one of those it wouldn't bother.  Like mentioned, I can skull it from any type of bunker...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

When playing off season, many courses remove the rakes and stop maintaining the bunkers.  Many of us take time to scuff out our footprints and impact mark.  If everyone did it, no rakes is no big deal.

i would be okay with eliminating rakes as long as the course only smoothed out the surfaces once a month or so.  The first groups out should not benefit from perfect conditions. If they leave deep foot prints, maybe they will have to hit from them a few days later.

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

18 hours ago, iacas said:

A number of course's in my local area have done this with some of their  bunkers (mainly fairway). The reasons are two-fold. "Grass bunkers" are, as you said, cheaper to maintain and they are are also a lot more flood resistant. In the last few years some courses have had sand washed away by either flood water or very heavy and prolonged rain.

Bunker liners are available that apparently help prevent this but even this isnt that cost effective for small clubs.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

They could do this for tournaments. I know the fuss about different rules between ams and pros but this is can be course choice or pga choice. Sand penalizes the amateur more than it does a pro any day and since it is a part of history and design of golf courses, elimination isn't necessarily an option. What is the option is to take the easy bunker shot away. I would be okay with this.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

19 hours ago, newtogolf said:

As I thought more about it, it makes some sense.  When we land in the rough, we're not guaranteed a clean lie to hit from, same goes for hard pan and other non-fairway areas where our ball can end up.  

Most bunker shots, especially for pro golfers are preferable to shots out of rough around the green (except for deep pot bunkers).  If bunkers are placed around the course to protect the course and green, ensuring those areas are well maintained and in pristine condition seems to be contrary to their purpose.  

Redundantly, I agree with what many here have said in that the bunkers are intended to penalize the golfer and, in the spirit of their purpose, I have long held the notion that they should go unraked. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

The pros can do whatever they want. As for me, if the course has bunkers, I want rakes.

That said, I'd be perfectly happy with a lot fewer bunkers, particularly on my City of Dayton courses, since they can't maintain them. At Kittyhawk, the men's association has a local rule for rake and place. You try to scratch up the dirt enough that it approximates sand, put the ball in it's original position and then play it out.

10 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The pros can do whatever they want. As for me, if the course has bunkers, I want rakes.

That said, I'd be perfectly happy with a lot fewer bunkers, particularly on my City of Dayton courses, since they can't maintain them. At Kittyhawk, the men's association has a local rule for rake and place. You try to scratch up the dirt enough that it approximates sand, put the ball in it's original position and then play it out.

And most of the rakes at KH have been run over by carts or mowers. 

I think most muni courses should start doing away with bunkers. If they are well maintained, I would rather hit out of one of those than deep rough, so it's often less penalizing.

- Shane

Inside of about 13 yards sand is still more penal than rough on pros (and even more so for amateurs). Being short-sided in a bunker matters.

For pros there is a sweet spot from about 14 to 32 yards where sand is slightly easier (fewer expected shots) than the typical rough they face at Shotlink tournaments by about a tenth of a shot. Both are still significantly worse than being in the fairway by ~ .2 to .25 expected shots.

A bunker fronting the green on a long par-5 'going for it' shot is more likely ideal than a bunker right next to the pin.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!