IGNORED

Tiger Woods 2017 Season Predictions

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2017 Season  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How will Tiger fare this season (assuming he remains healthy)?

• Awful. He will miss a lot of cuts. He might not even make it through the whole season.
    • Not great. He'll make a few cuts but nothing more.
    • So-so. He might see the weekend more often than not, but nothing better than perhaps a couple of Top 20s.
    • Not Bad. He makes many cuts, and even contends a little early on in the week but usually fades. No wins, but maybe a couple of Top 10s.
    • Good. He shows flashes of his former self on the weekend often, and he contends several times. Maybe even a couple of Top 5 finishes.
    • Really good. He plays well often, and he breaks through with many top finishes and even a win.
    • Great. He contends more often than not, gets at least a win, and even contends at the majors.
    • Superb. He makes a return to the old Tiger. Wins multiple times, one of them even being a major.

I'm going to be really optimistic and say "Great." I think that if he is truly healthy then he'll get at least a couple of wins and make some noise on a Sunday at a major.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seems I'm with the majority and voted "good". Seems like Tiger's using his head this time, and allowing himself plenty of recovery time from his back surgeries.

But, we have to remember that the guy is 40 years old now. More important, I think the "intimidation" factor is entirely gone! Back in the day, when Tiger was in a tournament, a lot of guys just assumed they were playing for second place. No more!

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Seems I'm with the majority and voted "good".

Nope. 34.78% right now.

3 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Seems I'm with the plurality and voted "good".

FTFY. :-)

Heh heh heh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think it's interesting that people are now accepting "maybe even a couple of top 5 finishes" as a "good" year....

By this standard, I'm guessing he does "really good".  I see him playing more lower tier events with weaker fields than he ever has before, and I imagine that he'll do relatively well in some of them.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I think it's interesting that people are now accepting "maybe even a couple of top 5 finishes" as a "good" year....

That's just how @Golfingdad defined it. Others might define a "good" year differently. Including, I'm guessing, Tiger.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I find the conditional responses interesting.  If he stays healthy he'll win a major?  I believe those are mutually exclusive. He cannot play well enough to win a major without reinjuring himself.  And if he stays healthy, it means he isn't working hard enough to contend with the big boys. 

My opinion is and has been that his body is done in terms of the type of wear and tear it will require for him to get back to championship form.  I voted Not Bad.

• Upvote 2

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I'm bullish on Tiger, I voted for Really Good. Saw a lot of positive signs at the Hero World Challenge and he's Tiger so you can never really count him out. I think he gets a win this year.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I voted Good. I think it will take at least one relatively full season to get to his peak level, if he ever does. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

By this standard, I'm guessing he does "really good".  I see him playing more lower tier events with weaker fields than he ever has before, and I imagine that he'll do relatively well in some of them.  

Agree. Considering TW has won >25% of the tournaments he has entered in his career, anything less would be not that good.

I voted Really Good. There are several tournaments that he has won multiple times and is comfortable with. I think he grabs one of those.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, iacas said:

That's just how @Golfingdad defined it. Others might define a "good" year differently. Including, I'm guessing, Tiger.

That, I guarantee!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted So-So, because that is the closest to what I expect. I think he will miss some cuts, that he will grind out a few top 20's, and that he might compete in one or two events.

I'd like to see him do better than that, as it is good for the game of PGA Tour golf and the viewership that he brings; but I'm a wait and see it kind of a guy.

Players play, tough players win!

I voted "good' having watched him play on his return after a year layoff.  Of course he does not have the consistency of his game through all 4 rounds but he did shoot a 65, I believe on the 3rd round.  He will make some noise in some tournaments and will be on the leaderboard in a few.  It is also not out of the question that he wins a tournament if he is able to play a full schedule of tournaments.  If he does this well don't count him out for winning a Major next season.

I went for not bad. Not so much because I doubt Tiger, but I just think that the top guys are now so much better than him. I don't see him going head-to-head with an on-form Rory, DJ, Spieth, Day or Stenson if he recaptures that Open form. I do hope that he gets it back though; he's great for the game (IMO).

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I vote "Good," although I'm averaging out that assessment: he'll be great during the Florida swing into the Masters, possibly winning at Honda or Bay Hill and contending at Augusta, while merely being not bad during the rest of the season.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Verry good minster Woods, indeed. He will win again in 2017. Then in 2018 he contends in one major at the last day, but will fail. 2020 he is number one again and starts winning majors.

I voted 'good' even though the description didn't quite capture what I'd expect. I think his game is likely to be inconsistent and while he will make many cuts and show flashes, I don't see him consistently contending (as I define it - not sure how @Golfingdad does).

I think he will put it together for at least a few top 5s and one win in a regular tour event. I don't expect a Major win.

Kevin

Just saw this. I voted good. I don't expect him to win this year, given it takes a while for him to win after changing his swing. But I expect to be encouraged by this year with some strong finishes and that he takes the momentum and wins next year. I could see him winning the Hero World Challenge in December, but I think that's about the earliest he would win. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!