IGNORED

How do you sleep at night?!?!

iacas
Note: This thread is 2690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sleep Positions  

37 members have voted

1. 1. In which position do you feel you spend the majority of your time sleeping in a bed?

• On my back
    • On my side
    • On my stomach

Apparently, I go from side to back to the other side and vice versa several times through the course the night. Sounds exhausting, but I actually sleep pretty well and usually wake up pretty refreshed unless I'm worried about something. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Random amusing side note:  I looooooooooove my wife, but no matter which side of the bed I'm sleeping on, when I'm on my side, I'm always facing towards the outside of the bed away from her. :-P

I tend to do this too, but only when she's awake. When she's asleep, I can face her, but only if I'm a foot or two away. When she's awake, if I turn to face her, she'll roll away because she doesn't like me breathing on her. :-) So when she's awake, I've trained myself to face away from her.

1 hour ago, krupa said:

With great difficulty.

I read in bed for at least an hour.

I've read that doing things in bed (except sex of course) like reading or watching TV is actually bad for sleep habits because you're training yourself to do things other than sleep in bed.

If I don't fall asleep within about 15 minutes, I get up and do something else for a bit. I try to avoid screens, because they seem to wake me up even more, but I'll do something else like read, or lie on the couch facing away from the TV and the sound very low, or whatever. Or I'll (try to) wake the wife up to see if she wants to do… anything.

I'm not saying I'm right. I read it long ago when I would occasionally have trouble falling asleep. I may not even remember it correctly. But "only using the bed for sleep" seems to work for me. HTH.

P.S. I too have a Tempur-Pedic mattress and pillow. I have since I was 23.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm a stomach sleeper. So is my wife. And my son. Which is probably a little odd.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I used to sleep on my side or stomach, but as I've gotten older I've found that I tend to sleep on my back most of the time. That is when I'm able to sleep, I have a lot of trouble sleeping through the night.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

We've noticed that she typically sleeps on the side of a bed closest to the door. If that side is also closest to the bathroom, then it's 100% certain. Works for hotels, any time we're a guest while visiting somewhere, the homes we've lived in.

This!   I get what is left over!     

I sleep on either side, depending upon which shoulder feels better.   I don't sleep well.   I fall asleep quickly but wake after about 4 hours and then somewhere in a slumber I get out of bed several hours later.

We don't read or have a TV in the bedroom but do run a fan year around for background noise.   

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I voted stomach, but it is more like an angle with one leg straight and the other one bent up to hold the angle.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Before I got married I slept on my back. Apparently I snore when sleeping that way, so my wife jabs me until I roll over onto my side.

Early on with my wife there was a night when I was sleeping that she kept jabbing and punching me in the side. Elbows, fists, etc. I remember being like WTF but was too tired and out of it. The next morning I inquired.

Me: "why were you practicing your kung fu on me?  You kept beating me up all night". Her: "you wouldn't stop snoring and I was trying to get you to roll onto your side."  Me: "Did it ever occur to you to wake me up and just ask me to sleep on my side because I was snoring? My side is sore"  Her: "uh, no. *giggles* Sorry". 

I'm not sure I fully believe her, she was probably getting me back for something I don't know I did. 

I sleep on my side, my ribs thank me for it. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I've read that doing things in bed (except sex of course) like reading or watching TV is actually bad for sleep habits because you're training yourself to do things other than sleep in bed.

Too late.  I've been reading in bed for the past 41.5 years.  

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

4 hours ago, Big C said:

"On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful women."

Anyone?

On a few dollars,  and side by side, with one beautiful woman for the past 45 years. 

I sleep on my side. Actually both sides. It's a breathing issue with me. I usually fall asleep around 11pm, and get up around 5am most days. I have been living on 5-6 hours sleep a night for so long, it's my norm. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Hanging upside-down in my batcave. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

So now I know a lot more about people I've never met than I ever thought I would....:content:

start out on my back, but wind on my side

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

We don't read or have a TV in the bedroom but do run a fan year around for background noise.   

I like a fan, too, for the slight noise and the stirring air. Even in the winter I sleep on top of the covers a lot. My wife is usually approximately 125,000° F at night, somehow. I think I can boil eggs on her skin. Feels like it, anyway. An ex-girlfriend had a habit of waking me up in the middle of the night to check on me to make sure I wasn't dead. Apparently I can get fairly cold to the touch at night.

4 hours ago, krupa said:

Too late.  I've been reading in bed for the past 41.5 years.  

It's not too late. Change. Try it for a few months. Read elsewhere until you're tired.

Kinda related: my kiddo would often sleep with my wife until I came up to bed. Sometimes she was so slow waking up to go to her bed I would basically wake back up and then be unable to fall asleep quickly. So now she has to sleep on the other side of the bed when she falls asleep with my wife, and then I can at least get in bed quickly after going upstairs, and without having to stand there.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I like a fan, too, for the slight noise and the stirring air. Even in the winter I sleep on top of the covers a lot.

I need to have a fan running as well. I did in Ohio too even when it was -2*F. I keep a pink noise app on my phone for when I'm staying in a hotel to simulate the sound of a fan. Not quite the same, but it works.

- Shane

5 hours ago, iacas said:

If I don't fall asleep within about 15 minutes, I get up and do something else for a bit. I try to avoid screens, because they seem to wake me up even more, but I'll do something else like read, or lie on the couch facing away from the TV and the sound very low, or whatever. Or I'll (try to) wake the wife up to see if she wants to do… anything.

TV Screens, computer monitor emit light at the temperature spectrum similar to daylight. This tricks your brain into thinking it needs to be awake. 

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I like a fan, too, for the slight noise and the stirring air.

Ditto. I like non-annoying background noise. 

I find that I sleep best in a slightly chilly bedroom. Something in the mid-60's is perfect. If the bedroom is too warm then I sleep horribly. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

17 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I find that I sleep best in a slightly chilly bedroom. Something in the mid-60's is perfect. If the bedroom is too warm then I sleep horribly. 

I'm the same. Now that it's the winter, I either turn my heat down to 60˚ or off entirely. I'm plenty warm under the covers, though the moment I get out of bed I start freezing my ass off. (It would be real nice if I could replace my thermostat with one that would allow me to program it so that the heat turns on a half hour before my alarm clock and turns off an hour later, but alas, my landlord nixed that.)

I'm a bit lucky in that my air conditioning is relatively inexpensive, so I run it most summer nights, but even then I don't ever have it lower than 68˚-70˚. It's the biggest downside of summer. 

If the AC was more expensive I'd consider getting one of these: https://bedjet.com

Screens and reading has never been a problem for me when it comes to sleeping. I just can't drink caffeine after 6 or so, or I'll be up all night. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

TV Screens, computer monitor emit light at the temperature spectrum similar to daylight. This tricks your brain into thinking it needs to be awake. 

I know. I use f.lux. :-) And Night Shift or whatever it's called on my phone.

37 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yup.

Friends in FL had to wear sweaters when they visited my apartment. Room temperature is 68°!

Note: This thread is 2690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!