IGNORED

Who is your golf nemesis?

Kalnoky
Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who needs a sound beating?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is there someone out there you’d really relish beating on the golf course?

• Co-Worker/Boss/Professional
    • Old Friend/Classmate
    • Relative/Neighbor
    • Someone from the Men’s Club/Ladies Group
    • Fans/Alumni from rival school

39 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

No one in particular, but there are golf courses I eventually want to kick the snot out of by scoring well. One day, I'll go back to the first course I ever played when I get my game in order.

30 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Actually, this is a much better answer, and I'd clarify it to target specific "nemesis" holes. These are holes that are so in my head that I'm thinking of them several holes ahead of actually playing them.

Yeah, no person in particular for me (although I do have a little bit of a fantasy that one day I'll be able to beat the best players I've ever played with - looking at you @iacas and @mvmac.)

But, really, yeah, I get particular satisfaction in beating certain courses or certain holes over time.

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd like to beat PAR again, sometime soon.
It has evaded me the honor the past two seasons and I'm seeking Revenge ....

Also, I enjoy whooping up on my buddies.
They get me once in awhile which doesn't bother me,
better to have friends to golf with than NOT...

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Brother in law. He trounced me last time, and we may be mostly even for the rounds we've played.

I did beat him once on a short course when I took my driver out of my bag. He hit wild with his driver and I was plunking it in play.  Drove him nuts, and he has brought up that round a couple times since. Maybe I'll get in his head and try that again.  Nah, I'm hitting well with driver now and can use the distance!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I don't have a nemesis but I was to someone for couple of years. Funny thing is I didn't care at all.

I invited him to play with me 8-9 years ago as he was a complete beginner, kinda show him the ropes of course etiquette etc. at request of my wife since our wives are besties. Of course he had a beginner's game and I was shooting in upper 90s mostly. But he is an extreme physical specimen (his job requires it) and expected to be better than me in short couple of months. Of course that wasn't happening and he secretly resented it (and me) big time.   

Next couple of years he played on and off with me, each time scoring poorly (he did get better). It got to him to the point to where he stopped playing with me, went off and took some lessons and played with another group for a year or so to prepare for 'battle' with me, which again, didn't work out so well for him when we played it out again. That was the last time he played with me. He actually stormed off the cart, yanking his bag before finishing the 18th hole.

I run into him socially quite a bit and he is always awkward around me acting a bit dickish whenever he can. His wife also let it out one time that he told her I cheated all the time. Nice. 

Golf is hard, ya know... :-))  

• Upvote 2

Vishal S.

11 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

But he is an extreme physical specimen (his job requires it) and expected to be better than me in short couple of months. Of course that wasn't happening and he secretly resented it (and me) big time.   

Great story. I love how miffed these emotionally volatile types get, especially the big dudes. They expect to dominate. It's not basketball!

For me, it's a good friend who introduced me to our Associate Club (club without real estate), which I just quit this year over some bad treatment and disagreement with the (unelected) leadership... Anyway, back then, my handicap was worse than his by 2-3 strokes and he was giving me strokes for our $1/$1/$1 Nassau and I was still regularly loosing, many times all $3!

Time went by, I improved (by playing a lot, taking lessons, etc...) whereas he mostly stayed the same, so we were playing gross for a while and I was starting to pick his wallet. Nowadays, he gets his stoke per side and it's a bit more even but when he looses $1 or $2 he says, "those are going on a recon mission to bring back a bunch of fellows with them later". Hilarious, but his "troops" have been somewhat deflated this past year... :beer:

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

2 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Great story. I love how miffed these emotionally volatile types get, especially the big dudes. They expect to dominate. It's not basketball!

Not a big fella but physically gifted in whatever he took up. Interestingly he is part of an elite force (prefer to not name) and I had expected them to be more of a survivor.  

A little unfortunate as I tried my hardest to be non-competitive and encouraging as you would with any beginner. I guess that only served to piss him off even more. Some folks are simply no-win.

Vishal S.

I suppose it would be my old tennis partner who gave up that sport to take up golf at about the same time I did. But I wouldn't consider him a nemesis.

In tennis he was very competitive, but not in an a-hole kind of way. He just doesn't play to lose. The rare occasions when I did beat him on the court, I had to really earn it.

We've only competed in golf once late in 2016 and while he beat me by a several strokes, it was fun. I scored lower than him on the back nine but couldn't recover from a couple blowup holes on the front.

I look forward to competing against him this upcoming year. 

Jon

I'm with @Golfingdad And @nevets88 there isn't really anyone that is my nemesis.  

@colin007 is closer, there are not only holes but golf courses.  Riverbend Country Club in McLean VA always kicks my butt.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

My own game ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, RandallT said:

I'll get in his head

Brother in laws are easy to get in their "kitchen"

Just start a conversation about your younger years with your sister and make up some dirt to get him thinking.
His wheels will soon fall off, game over....

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I don't have a golf nemesis. I don't even have a regular playing partner.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Father-in-law. I have no problem beating him straight up, because he's an 18/19, but I've never played particularly well with him. I think it's because every comment of his is about how I'm too wild to hit driver and other nonsense along those lines. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I do have to add that I have a close friend that I have been friends with since 7th grade. We are competitive, but in more of a comical way. He is about an 8 handicap, but we really don't get worked up about it when we play. We play for who has to buy the first beer.

When we were younger, we competed at everything including board games. One game, Risk, was one of our favorites. But it got to be a bit dull and the game could last too last. So we invented and new version of it, Nuclear Risk. Basically, when you attacked a country, you had to keep rolling the dice until one of the country was obliterated. You then put a black game piece on the country. It was nuked. 

The whole game would last about 15 minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Good thread Kalnoky!

My buddy who I started playing golf with since day one has been the one I was trying to beat.  He taught me the ropes and as I progressed to the point we could play against each other, we started playing $2 Nassau's.  He would give me 3 strokes a side, then 2 then 1 and finally I got to the point where he wouldn't give me any.

Well, I finally did it the last time we golfed last year.  Beat him 86 to 91.  No strokes, no gimmes, no mulligans or anything.  Straight up golf.  It was awesome!  I laminated the scorecard with the $2 and will save them forever!

He wanted to get out again because he didn't want to go all winter knowing I beat him the last time out but we didn't get the chance to go again.  He will have to wait till spring and I will make sure I have my game is ready!  :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I'm going to follow on to what a couple of other guys have said already.  The guys I keep trying to beat are those 3 or 4 guys who reside right between my ears, and who keep giving me conflicting advice.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Up until about last year... I didn't have anybody that I would count as my nemesis.  There was a guy in a group I played with for about a year that I enjoyed beating, but... there was nothing attached to it.  I just didn't like him.  I don't even think he knew that I based a 'successful' day on the course as being one where I score better than he did.  

Last year, however, I found a group of guys who I really just wanted to beat during tournaments.  We began playing little side bets ($5 Nassau, $5 Stableford, things like that) and it ramped things up.  By the end of the year, I was making a pretty decent amount per round between skins and side bets... but what made it even more fun was the competitiveness of all involved.  

I don't like to lose.  I hate losing when someone can hold it over my head.  

One guy I play with seems to be completely out of his element when we play.  He just puts too much pressure on himself and... well... it usually turns into some cash in my pocket.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!