IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

Over the past 20 years of "recreational" golf, I have chosen to ride 95% of the time and have played 18 holes.

However, over the past year or so, I've found myself playing more 9 hole rounds and have chosen to walk most of the time (recently invested in a nice push cart).

From a pro/con standpoint, walking obviously is more healthy, but I find that I'm not playing as well in general -- what is your preference/experience with walking vs. riding?

(Obviously I'm talking about walk-able courses -- there's a course near me where the distance between greens/next tees seems as far as the holes themselves that I would never attempt to walk).

Chris - Single Length Irons Guy

No Driver (yep)
Pinhawk Single Length Fairway Woods ( 3, 5, 7 )
Pinhawk SL Single Length Irons ( 4 thru PW ) 
Pinhawk SL Single Length Wedges ( A, S, L )
Happy Putter

I voted ride just because that's what I have preferred to do, but that's about to change. I am going to start walking with my 15 year old (since he walks for all of his tournaments anyway) for the exercise, cheaper fees, and to just try and enjoy the course a little more. I won't be cutting riding out completely, but I plan on going that route the majority of the time. When I play with other friends, I'm sure we will ride

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted the following:

9 Holes = Either, usually if it's a nice day and I play 9 with my wife we try to walk.  If I am playing after work I usually ride so I can get home a little quicker.

18 Holes = Walk, I prefer to walk, it relaxes me more than riding and gives me more time to think about what I want to do as I approach the ball.

Score is better when I walk.  I voted this, don't really keep stat's between walking and riding, but I feel like I play better when I walk just because I feel more relaxed. But I'm sure there isn't a noticeable difference in scoring.

Gus
---------------

I voted:

1. I prefer to walk most of the time unless it is really hot and humid.

2. I ride when playing 18 holes 99.9% of the time. Courses are to hilly around here.

3. Scoring does not change much.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I prefer to walk whenever it makes sense.  I play a pretty hilly course (just ask the guys who came for the MidAtlantic get-together) but still walk a lot of the time.  Rainy days, really hot days, those are good days to be in a buggy.  I doubt that my scoring varies much based on walking v. riding, but I've never really kept track.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

The horseless carriages are massively expensive. I avoid them whenever practical.

Most of the reason that I play where I do is that it is a reasonably flat, easily-walked course. However, certain courses and certain playing partners demand otherwise from time to time.

When I ride in a cart, I become disconnected.  Walking a round is a far more enjoyable, relaxing experience.

Randal

I need cupholders, a place for a shag bag for found balls, a place to drop the headcovers, basket for sweatshirt or thermal, etc etc.  Quick transport between those multiple balls.  And a comfy seat while waiting on the slow group in front of me.

Did I mention cupholders (one for soda, one for the Bloody Mary, one for the rangefinder).

When I do walk, we strip down all that stuff, and I carry - no push cart.  That's a different kind of nice.  I don't consider it exercise, I already have workouts.

Walking - sometimes it's easier to find my ball.  It's a more natural feel for how far to walk to get there.....sometimes.  Not an issue if I'd just keep the darn thing in the fairway

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I think age comes into this a lot. I can understand why a young man, who can keep in good shape easily, and who doesn't have as much time, would prefer to ride. For me, riding is a complete waste of money. I carry, I have a lightweight bag, walking on the golf course is my workout, keeps the pounds off and keeps me away from the biggest killers of retirees, the fridge and the couch. 

I voted walk, and no difference in score. I do what ever I can to keep my legs in decent working order. I am of the older generation. It's my belief that having healthy legs will keep me active longer. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have not played much at all so far but all rounds have been walking. Everyone is hazing me I'm playing a "seniors" sport so at least I'm walking 6k with 20 pounds of gear :) 

I walk virtually every round I play, unless the circumstance absolutely dictate riding.  My home club is hilly, but that's even better.  Golf is my "gym".  And I'm cheap, too, so I like to save the cart fee. ;-)

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

15 minutes ago, BamaWade said:

I walk virtually every round I play, unless the circumstance absolutely dictate riding.  My home club is hilly, but that's even better.  Golf is my "gym".  And I'm cheap, too, so I like to save the cart fee. ;-)

Exactly this for me. I voted I score the same which is generally true but the only thing I'd add is that if I'm playing poorly I seem to be better at pulling myself out of it when I'm walking.  I think I need that walk from one shot to the next to shake things off. 

I walk most of the time because I'm a cheap bastard.  This winter I invested in a powered push cart with a remote and it's amazing.  Now not only can I walk upright and not hunched over a push cart... I can send my bag to the next tee or to the side of the green I will be leaving.  Downside... when I play with my 7 year old he's more interested in chasing the cart then playing golf. 

I do notice when I walk I get more tired on the back nine and my hip flexors and hamstrings will get tight which makes my swing get a little wild. 

My son before and after walking 3 holes carrying his clubs.  He said, "I will wait here... you can come back and get me on the way back". 

IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

• Upvote 3

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Used to walk, now I ride.  When I walked, I preferred walking.  Now I prefer riding.  Neither form of locomotion had any significant effect on my score.  I worked my handicap down to 10 while walking, and kept it near there for 20+ years, sometimes riding even when I was mostly a walker.  Some courses I never even tried to walk because of elevation changes or distances between greens and tees.  I probably played better on those courses riding than I would have had I walked.

I am no longer physically capable of walking even 9 holes, so I don't worry about it.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I only score rounds for handicap when I walk. I kinda feel like it's cheating otherwise. Even though there is literally no change in score between myself walking and riding(I shoot maybe 1 or 2 strokes better when I walk).

It depends on the circumstances.  

Alone at my home course... I prefer to walk.  

Playing with other walkers at my home course... I will walk.  

Playing with 'riders' at my home course... I will ride.  

Any other course... I ride.

I enjoy walking... but because I'm lazy... I prefer to ride.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

My attitudes about walking-vs-riding have changed drastically over the years for many reasons.  For my first 15 years or so playing, I despised the cart and insisted on walking.  If carts were free, I would have probably used one, but we all know carts aren't free.   A time came to pass in my area when carts were included in annual memberships.....this is when I jumped on the cart bandwagon.  Even when I travel to play away courses, I ride now.   A big benefit of riding is when playing evening golf......... when I hit traffic, I drive around and find a place of least resistance.....I tend to skip around the course to play more holes rather than wait.  

Scoring...... I can score the same walking or riding....it doesn't make a difference.  I mostly used a pull cart back in my walking days, but I also carried on occasion.  

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!