IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, skydog said:

I don't know, I think it take some reps for most guys to get comfortable with a mic in their hand. I remember when I first heard Duval working for TGC, it was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Now I think he's gotten a lot better and I enjoy hearing him.

I think Bones is already better than most on NBC and has plenty of potential once he gets a little more comfortable.

Yes. I wonder how the "critics", you know, those who "can't do" but criticize those who do, felt about Ken Venturi after his first broadcast!

2 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

^^^

Yes, Bones may still be feeling out his position, not wanting to say too much that will offend players who he's known for 25 years ... or a bit less.

Don't know if that's it, but he's got to analyze. He can't get away with fluff - we want dirt (analysis) and color! 

Which is exactly why Johnny Miller wanted to quit his job after his first year!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Bones was exactly who I thought he would be.  He was relatively well-spoken and provided some insight and color but absolutely no controversy in any statement.  I'm sure he's still hunting for a job...if that is the case does anyone expect him to do or say anything controversial or negative about any player?

If this becomes a long-term gig then, I'm sure, he will open up and get better with some experience and seasoning.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

21 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I'm sure he's still hunting for a job...if that is the case does anyone expect him to do or say anything controversial or negative about any player?

Really? I expect that he's hung up his looping shoes for good and this is his new long term gig. I could be wrong though.

Working ~10 weekends a year for NBC and probably making more money than he would carrying a bag full time, sounds like a pretty good gig.

47 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I'm sure he's still hunting for a job...if that is the case does anyone expect him to do or say anything controversial or negative about any player?

I'm not so sure about that.  Seems like a caddy with his reputation and experience would have had many players hoping he would loop for them.  I think if he still wanted to be on tour caddying he would be by now.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

(edited)
14 hours ago, iacas said:

He took, what, ten minutes AFTER his ball was in play again (all drops/rulings done). The whole time his caddie was walking ahead and trying to figure out a yardage and get a line was time he was basically delaying.

Maybe so. I was just thinking back to watching it and felt like, from the time he dropped the ball to put it in play, there wasn't that much time that had passed before the shot was hit. Basically, he dropped the ball putting it in play, grabbed 2 clubs, and then his caddie walked up to guess a yardage and give a point of reference...then he fired the shot.  It didn't feel like much time was used there compared to the ruling portion. It actually seemed like it took longer for the caddie to walk up the dune than it did to play the shot. I could be wrong. I'm basing this off the memory of watching it live and not going back to a recording.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
2 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

He is not… http://www.golfchannel.com/news/press-releases/jim-bones-mackay-joins-nbc-sports-group/

NBC Sports Group today announced that Jim “Bones” Mackay officially will join the network’s live tournament coverage as an on-course reporter, adding his unique perspective to Golf Channel and NBC’s coverage of The Open, FedExCup Playoffs and Presidents Cup in 2017. The multi-year agreement will fold Mackay into NBC Sports’ tournament coverage team with a full schedule of events on Golf Channel and NBC in 2018.

He's signed for multiple years.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Almost every Tour van was still on property. It's a major. They're there all week.

The Open is the only major that allows equipment vans all week

On 7/24/2017 at 6:51 AM, saevel25 said:

Do they? What if a player needs a club replaced between rounds?

Yeah, the PGA Tour prohibits equipment trailers once the tournament actually begins.  If they need a club worked on between rounds they can use a local shop or possibly have the manufacturer over-night them a new club.

• Upvote 2

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I like Bones (who doesn't..?). Hope he settles in and starts speaking his mind more - like Johnny Miller :-P.

Having said that for someone whose opening job description line of last 25 years says - 'Shut up. keep up' it will be hard to be opinionated without any PC filters. Also, I think hard to fill 5+ hours of telecast with meaningful/colorful commentary - at least till one gets the hang of it. I would think the journalistic background trivia type info prep for lot of players which is used to filler the gaps is also a learned skill.

Maybe it was the Open and he felt a little extra pressure to keep it PC. I would expect him to play safe for the while.    

Vishal S.

I thought the delay was a great part of the drama, demonstrating Spieth's insatiable desire to get the ball in the hole. Others would have dropped nearer the bottom of the hill and probably blown their chance. I don't see any issue with that timeout.

Kucher helped the pace of play by hitting to the green, when he could have waited to see what Speith did. Pretty sure he was not expecting 20 minute delay... At that point I would have walked to the green and considered putting. It would have been interesting to see if the Open officials would have allowed him to do that. Remember he had already hit to the green and is allowed to continue play since this was not match play. "Timeouts" are allowed in many sports and often are used to break an opponent's momentum or give you a chance to re-start in a better frame of mind. Timeouts however are not allowed in golf. Also interesting was Speith's decision to not play a provisional ball from the tee following the stray shot that could have easily have been a lost ball. Suggests to me he was prepared to slow the pace of play if necessary to clear his head.

As for Bones... I found his debut presentation fine. Especially impressed with the clarity of his voice and explanations. Showed none of the rookie jitters I would have expected. His experience reading the shots and greens at courses more recently that most commentators should be helpful. How long has it been since Johnny Miller actually struck a meaningful shot on any of these greens... 20+ years? 

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

4 hours ago, iacas said:

My bad.  :-\

Still think my second statement holds true.  Might have been just OK but he'll get better in time...as long as Johnny Miller doesn't coach him on how to critique people.  ;-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Video is entirely inconclusive with tons of unknowns (it could've been an old ball that had been there awhile, or if it was Rory's I don't know that I'd have necessarily added "unwittingly" to the caption) but ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4115456/rory-mcilroy-missing-golf-ball-in-fan-pocket/

Spieth is actually below average from inside 10 FT. He's been ranked 92nd, 52nd, 50th, and 100th over the last 4 seasons in putts made % inside 10 FT. This makes up about 50% of all this putting attempts. He clearly has room to improve on a significant number of his putting attempts. If he was a top 20 putter inside of 10 FT he would cut 1 stroke off his scoring average. ;-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Totally missed this gum chewing thing, didn't watch the weekday rounds that much, apparently Spieth made one piece of gum last for 5 hours and was called out for it. 

Caffeine, which is perfectly legal in golf and other sports, has been shown in numerous studies to boost athletic performance and—yes—is available in the form of chewing gum. It has become popular among some endurance athletes because it does not pass through the digestive system, meaning it delivers an energy boost faster than coffee.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-chewing-gum-boost-your-golf-game-1501242000?mod=e2tw

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

17 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Totally missed this gum chewing thing, didn't watch the weekday rounds that much, apparently Spieth made one piece of gum last for 5 hours and was called out for it. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-chewing-gum-boost-your-golf-game-1501242000?mod=e2tw

Called out?  Why? If it is legal, then what's the beef?

17 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Caffeine isn't against the Rules of Golf, nor is it banned by the PGA Tour or any tour I know of though.

I can't read the article (paywall), but I haven't heard that it even was caffeine gum. Spieth made it seem that someone handed him a piece of gum and he chewed it. Not sure "called out for it" is the right phrasing, or that caffeine gum is some sort of issue.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!