IGNORED

Go to club or shot from 125 yards. READ ORIGINAL POST!!!

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are way too many variables, @iacas to include a poll.

So we all know that golf courses are not flat, don't have days with zero wind, and temperatures aren't in always between 68-75° everyday.

So you are on the flattest hole of your home course, You are 125 yards out, in the middle of the fairway, not much trouble around the green, not a severely sloping green, just average undulation on the green, light wind from the prevailing direction for your course... So what club to you hit and/or what kind of shot do you play? This is open to interpretation, but this is a realistic example.

I'll start: Technically 125 yards should ideally be a slightly longer than three-quarter wedge... I actually prefer a 10 o'clock 9-iron which is my 140 yard club full. Maybe choke down a half-inch or so.

Your Turn Please be honest this is a forum of integrity.

Edited by onthehunt526
I made a couple typos

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yep, people like to answer 'depends' a lot of these things, but the discussions are worth it until we drown in those comments....

My PW is 120 easy full swing, 9i is 135.  So that's what I have to work with.  I have better results swinging extra than taking some off.

So top choice is I hit extra on my PW, maybe a light deloft. 

My alternate if I have wind in my face would be to uploft the 9i and let the wind take some off of it, bonus is it would land soft.

I don't really have a good partial punch shot so that option is out - but I wish I did have that shot.....

I've been getting a lot more distance lately (actually thanks to advice from my 'my swing' thread) so 125 may this year just be my stock easy PW - we'll see once the snow melts.  Fingers crossed.

Bill - 

11 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

yep, people like to answer 'depends' a lot of these things, but the discussions are worth it until we drown in those comments....

My PW is 120 easy full swing, 9i is 135.  So that's what I have to work with.  I have better results swinging extra than taking some off.

So top choice is I hit extra on my PW, maybe a light deloft. 

My alternate if I have wind in my face would be to uploft the 9i and let the wind take some off of it, bonus is it would land soft.

I don't really have a good partial punch shot so that option is out - but I wish I did have that shot.....

I've been getting a lot more distance lately (actually thanks to advice from my 'my swing' thread) so 125 may this year just be my stock easy PW - we'll see once the snow melts.  Fingers crossed.

Well it sounds like you are in a good place with your swing... I know a lot of instructors will say to hit something hard, if you're under pressure... but that's not what this is at all... I did make a typo with my wedge distance which is with a stock shot 128 yards carry or so, and my 9-iron is 140 or so....I guess I really need to do these distances and shot zones again. I digress.

Carry on guys,

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

The title says "go to club". I only have one "go to" club which is my 7W.  That 125 yards would be an easy, half swing punch shot. I'd be looking for a lot of roll after the carry. I would also be gripping down on the club, maybe a 3/4 inch. Ball would be a little back of center. Stance would be just a tad open. 

That said, my 8i is my full swing 125 yard club, with about 10 feet of roll after the carry. Ball would be a little forward of center, to help with high ball flight, which would help to limit the roll after touch down. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

In your specifications, I'll go with a 9i. Because I'm more often going to hit it a bit off the face or fat than correctly. I'd really have to step on a PW and hit it solidly to get it 125 in those conditions. 

But I'm more curious as to why you would ask this question. What's the point?

"Witty golf quote."

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

In your specifications, I'll go with a 9i. Because I'm more often going to hit it a bit off the face or fat than correctly. I'd really have to step on a PW and hit it solidly to get it 125 in those conditions. 

But I'm more curious as to why you would ask this question. What's the point?

Just starting a discussion. Gathering information. And learning more about my fellow Sand Trappers... that's all.

Edited by onthehunt526

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I'll usually hit a full GW.

Late last season I started experimenting with a 3/4 PW, partly due to your influence @onthehunt526, with pretty good results so I might go with that instead.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

With all variables being equal (no wind, greens are holding a good approach shot, etc.) it's a smooth pitching wedge. I can go after a pitching wedge and hit it 135 if I have to. It just depends on how well I'm hitting it that day. It also depends where I'm playing (more elevation in the greens, where the pin is, where the trouble is) and how the weather is as far temperature. It seems like in warmer weather, I can drop down a club. I'm not sure I have a sure club for a certain yardage. It usually runs within a 5-7 yard window on a given day.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

9 iron, my 125-130 club.  With more variables, I could opt for the PW or 8 iron.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

For me it would depend where the "125 yards out" pin is in relation to the green. Is the 125 to a front pin so 135 to the middle? Or is the 125 to a back pin leaving me 115 to the middle.

If the 125 is a front pin, I'd hit a smooth pitching wedge. Something that feels to me like its 80%. A normal full PW for me is 130, but I've hit some pushing 140. Even if it goes a little long I'd be in the middle of the green. 

If the 125 is a back pin, I'd hit my 50 degree wedge. With this club I'd have virtually no chance of going over the green, and a normal full 50 degree is right at 120 which should put me middle to middle back of the green.

If the 125 is right in the middle, then it'd just be a feel thing looking at temperature and how I'm hitting overall that particular day. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

7 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

So you are on the flattest hole of your home course, You are 125 yards out, in the middle of the fairway, not much trouble around the green, not a severely sloping green, just average undulation on the green, light wind from the prevailing direction for your course

PW is my 125 club for these circumstances.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

So what club to you hit and/or what kind of shot do you play? This is open to interpretation, but this is a realistic example.

75% Gap Wedge (50 degree).

Your Turn Please be honest this is a forum of integrity

Then I recommend being nice enough to give people the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If I want to hit it 125 and got some leeway short and long, that would be a PW. Might not be a full swing, maybe a bit choked up. I haven't played in a good while, so I'm not too sure about my lengths, but IIRC, the PW is around 130 yards.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'd probably hit a gap wedge. A full 60 degree goes about 130 and a full gap goes about 140, and I find it easier to back off a lot than to back off a little. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

9i would be my choice providing conditions were right. If im playing Willow Valley, which is proper high up, it can get gusty so would depend on wind. Going with the wind then maybe a good PW, into the wind maybe 8i or 7i.

There is a 138 yard par 3 there that is usually a steady 8i but last time i played the wind was strong. Guy i was playing with went after an 8 and it ballooned and landed halfway, I hit a 5 and just crept on to the fringe. Golf, its a crazy game!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!