IGNORED

2018 The PLAYERS Championship

Zeph
Note: This thread is 2173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My reasons for why it shouldn't count as a major are related to the 4 WGC events. Those four events are pretty close to what The Players offers. OWGR points are close to one another, although 20 (?) or so less than the majors. Purse money, The Players is some what close to the WGC events. Strength of field is about the same. Lastly, unless something has changed, The Players is not an official event, recognised by the EPGA. All the WGC event are recognised by most of the world tours. 

With all this, if it's determined some day, that the The Players is a Major event, then why not make the WGC events majors too? Let's have 9 majors every year. We could have a young hot shot pro win three of nine majors a year for 7 years, and put Woody, and Jack on the back burner. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The PLAYERS is not and should not be a major. It's a great tournament at a great venue let's leave it at that.

As far as the strength of field argument goes, it depends on how you crunch the data.  HERE they rank the strength of field using size and strength of field and probability and difficulty of winning the event. Basically its more about beating more players than necessarily beating the BEST players, although strength of players in the event is taken into account. Using this method the PGA Championship ranks first.

HERE they rank the strength of field for a sample of 2017 events based solely on the quality of the players entered and not the size of the field. Using this method the TOUR Championship ranks first and the PGA Championship doesn't even get in the top 20.

I think both methods of ranking fields have merit, although I do not buy that the PGA Championship has the best field of any event, as I think the 20 club pros that show up each year to miss the cut torpedoes that on a yearly basis. It's almost like the US Open and all the amateurs that make the field every year. Although the ams in the US Open field are much more competitive than the club pros are at the PGA.

But I digress, either way you look at it, the PLAYERS doesn't rank first using either model.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I don't think reclassifying tournaments as Majors would help the other tour events, most of which might as well not exist to anybody except golf obsessives. If anything, I'd rather not have the PGA in there and just keep to Master/Open/US Open. 

Mickelson: I don't know if Tiger wants a piece of me
Phil Mickelson discusses his pairing with Tiger Woods and how he looks forward to going head-to-head.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/mickelson-tiger-i-dont-know-if-he-wants-piece-me/

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The Players has a unique identity of it's own. Coming up to 45 years. 

So what happens if it gets 'elevated' to a major.............. more OWGR points, Fed Ex points? 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

The Players has a unique identity of it's own. Coming up to 45 years. 

So what happens if it gets 'elevated' to a major.............. more OWGR points, Fed Ex points? 

According to wikipedia, the Players is already the same number of Fed Ex points.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

21 hours ago, Patch said:

I hope they never make it a major. Four is enough, and four stays respectful for those who won those four in the past. 

I agree although I believe in time that will change.  The two threesome pairings noted above will be interesting to watch. It seems clear the event committee looking to pump up the crowd.  Perhaps the biggest element is whether DJ remains #1 after Sunday.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator
11 hours ago, krupa said:

However, I still think it deserves to be a major and don't see any real problems with adding it to the list.

I have a problem with it.

9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I think both methods of ranking fields have merit, although I do not buy that the PGA Championship has the best field of any event, as I think the 20 club pros that show up each year to miss the cut torpedoes that on a yearly basis. It's almost like the US Open and all the amateurs that make the field every year. Although the ams in the US Open field are much more competitive than the club pros are at the PGA.

No, they aren't.

• The Masters has a tiny field, so only about 60 people are competitive.
  • The Opens both have a ton of qualifiers, almost none of whom ever do anything at all.
  • The PGA has 20 people you can discard, but that leaves 136 others who have a pretty darn good chance.

The math has been done. The PGA has, almost always, the strongest field of any major.

Not that any of this is on topic.

So, with the tournament about to start, let's get back TO the topic, which is the 2018 Players Championship.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Friz said:

TI don't have a strong feeling either way, but it is interesting that it can't be called a major if its treated like a major.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

It doesn't walk or talk like a duck. The PGATour pushes the idea. It exists as the "Fifth Major" in inverted commas and will remain so. That has nothing to do with it every being an actual major.

It is a fantastic event. Get used to the idea that there are and always will be 4 majors. 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I am hoping Tiger had some practice putting or at least putts better at the Players.  I am a bit surprised how Spieth has not been a factor much at the Players.

My pick... Rory.  Dark horse...Tiger.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

15 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I am hoping Tiger had some practice putting or at least putts better at the Players.  I am a bit surprised how Spieth has not been a factor much at the Players.

My pick... Rory.  Dark horse...Tiger.

Tiger was talking about how he wasn't used to how slow the greens were running. Personally, I don't think slow is the word I would use 😄

I'm excited for the Thomas, Spieth, Mcilroy pairing. My 3 favorite golfers. Time to literally morph into a couch potato.

Edited by freshmanUTA
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Zeph said:

I saw that. I wondered if Mickelson was trying to get Tiger's juices going or get under his skin. I think, without knowing, that it was the former. Mickelson has had a remarkable turnaround. I believe he will do well. Best. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I expect Woods to have a good week, he has a solid record here. 2 of his last 4 finishes at the Players are his win and an 8th place finish. 

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

12 hours ago, NM Golf said:

The PLAYERS is not and should not be a major. It's a great tournament at a great venue let's leave it at that.

This.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I think the Players is great tournament but I guess I'm tired of media (Golf Channel) trying to shove this "5th major" stuff down my throat. Four is plenty. Not sure how many board members have played this course but I'm just don't think Sawgrass is a great course. It's not Augusta or Pebble Beach or Winged Foot. No doubt it is a difficult golf course and is usually in great shape but I have played many better courses just in the state of Florida. Of course.....this is all just my opinion.

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Not a big fan of Sawgrass. But I'm not a big fan of Pete Dye courses in general. Wish the event was played at a better course. Calusa pines is cool. They should play it there. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, saevel25 said:

The Open: 1960 to Present

I take it you meant 1860?

shhhh i dont think anyone else noticed ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

11 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I take it you meant 1860?

shhhh i dont think anyone else noticed ;-)

I did! Didn't want to needle Matt though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!