IGNORED

Driving Range Etiquette Question

Effington
Note: This thread is 2164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys, I was at the range today and a couple spots over from me, I notice a guy, looked like he had a decent swing.  His practice swing was very nice and smooth, but when he set up in front of the ball, his downswing seemed to double in speed.  His swing still looked decent (and although I didn't see how the ball traveled), the practice swing looked markedly better than the real thing.

Now, I'm not a good golfer so I'm not an authority to give advice, but I kind of wanted to mention my observation to him.  After thinking it over a bit, I decided to mind my own business, but I am wondering--would it be poor etiquette to mention it to him?  I think I'd appreciate an observation like that if I were in his shoes, but he may not feel the same.

That's a tough one. I think even if you are very sincere with just wanting to give him some friendly, helpful advice that in that situation it is nearly impossible to not come off as a know-it-all. Best to just keep quiet.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Never give unsolicited advice.

This. He didn’t ask so he wasn’t looking. 

OP- you made the right choice and minded your own. If you had known him personally then it could have been different. 

• Like 1

You could always approach it with a different angle if it was really tempting:

Hi, sorry to bother you but I’m new at this and wanted a little advice. I’ve noticed your practice swing is real smooth and looks much slower than you’re real swing. Should I be swinging  much faster too? Is my practice swing gonna be a lot slower?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 minutes ago, upndown21 said:

I would tell him then go shank a couple personally for good measure.

Lol! I got no problem with that.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Effington said:

Hi guys, I was at the range today and a couple spots over from me, I notice a guy, looked like he had a decent swing.  His practice swing was very nice and smooth, but when he set up in front of the ball, his downswing seemed to double in speed.  His swing still looked decent (and although I didn't see how the ball traveled), the practice swing looked markedly better than the real thing.

Now, I'm not a good golfer so I'm not an authority to give advice, but I kind of wanted to mention my observation to him.  After thinking it over a bit, I decided to mind my own business, but I am wondering--would it be poor etiquette to mention it to him?  I think I'd appreciate an observation like that if I were in his shoes, but he may not feel the same.

Good choice.

And I challenge that  you'd appreciate such advice. Really ?  Even amateurs can probably spot swing imperfections. I bet I could watch you swing and find something wrong. I bet you'd hate it. Because I'm not  pro, and have zero idea how to help you.

54 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

That's a tough one. I think even if you are very sincere with just wanting to give him some friendly, helpful advice that in that situation it is nearly impossible to not come off as a know-it-all. Best to just keep quiet.

Well said. I've had this happen. My reaction was that these guys just did to inflate their own ego.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Pretty well covered, but don't give unsolicited advice anywhere on the golf course or driving range. 

And a thought to go along with that: what if he was trying to swing as hard as possible to increase his normal swing speed? I sometimes swing extra hard with a couple of shots at the range, just to prove to myself that I can get an extra couple of mph when I need it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Only time I have done it is when a guy insisted on playing with our group and increased our round time by 2:00-plus hours, while talking the entire time. When we got through Hole #17 and the guy was acting like a know it all and was confused by his swing flaw, I politely mentioned it. My friends and I were so mad at his horrible behavior that we didn’t play golf again for a month.

But when on the range, I’ll keep it to myself.

Just now, DeadMan said:

Pretty well covered, but don't give unsolicited advice anywhere on the golf course or driving range. 

And a thought to go along with that: what if he was trying to swing as hard as possible to increase his normal swing speed? I sometimes swing extra hard with a couple of shots at the range, just to prove to myself that I can get an extra couple of mph when I need it.

Yes, may have been working on something.

I have found that it is better to mind one's own business, unless asked. This to me would be extremely true when watching other golfers, and their swings. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I often wanted to help with form in the gym in the past, mostly because I was afraid someone was really going to hurt themselves. Usually the advice fell on deaf ears and they would keep doing it or sometimes disappear from the gym all together. Now I just look at the discrepancies with amusement. Same with golf, I let it go. If I'm approached with interest I'll help otherwise I just watch and be entertained with interesting swings. Besides, all the crap I know about hitting a golf ball rarely is manifesting in my swing either so they might know the issues already. 

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

As most have said NEVER give unsolicited advice. Nothing is more irritating.

I do not in any way have a traditional golf swing, it's not pretty, it's not flowing and smooth, but I return the club face the the ball in a manner that allows me to have a handicap better than scratch. That being said I can't count on two hands how many people over the years have tried to give me pointers, all of which I have had to nicely reject. It's just better to mind your business, if they want swing help they need to contact their local professional just like everyone else.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I know this sounds insane, but in the course of a week I have seen TWO people with a cross handed grip who have not had a putter in their hands. Late last week it was what looked like a middle-aged husband and wife playing a round at the local par 3 course and the guy was a right hander and had his left hand lower on the club than his right and was taking full swings with what was probably a hybrid or fairway wood. Then yesterday at the range there was a lefty facing me a few spots down who had his right hand lower than his left taking full swings with an iron. I can't recall ever seeing this before and I had wondered in each instance if I should say something. I did not in either case. Both had horrible swings. Interested in hearing some feedback on this one.

As a higher handicap (17) golfer I have had some unsolicited advice from people I just met given to me on the course and for the most part I ignore it and it can be annoying.  I have had some good friends make statements like "you are swinging a lot harder than normal" and I appreciate that type of advice since they know my game and are usually right.

28 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Interested in hearing some feedback on this one.

55 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

It's just better to mind your business, if they want swing help they need to contact their local professional just like everyone else.

I don't think anything more has to be said.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

i am nowhere near the best golfer, i could probably learn something helpful from a real lesson, but the absolute last thing I would want at a driving range is someone I don't know critiquing my swing, no matter how polite they were about it.  I have a swing that works for me and I'm perfectly happy golfing at my current level.

I play quite a few rounds as a single getting paired with random people, and have on multiple occasions had someone say something about my swing.  Most of the time its not helpful or accurate, and all of the time its unwanted.  If I want tips I'll seek them out with a lesson or ask, but as its been said, almost no one is going to appreciate getting unsolicited advice from someone they don't know when they're not looking for it.

-Eric

22 minutes ago, Friz said:

I play quite a few rounds as a single getting paired with random people, and have on multiple occasions had someone say something about my swing.  Most of the time its not helpful or accurate, and all of the time its unwanted.  

Oh man, you too huh? 

Last Fall somebody screwed me up real bad. I've spent this year rebuilding my swing. I've had to beg off most league events. This unwanted "advice" set me back two seasons and I admit I've contemplated quitting at times. After a lot of work with the mirror and the alignment rods I'm slowly getting back to where I was.

I was playing a brand of golf I really enjoyed, shooting in the high 80's low 90's every time. I was improving every month, little by little. One day I was struggling as all of us do sometimes. Somebody got in my head and here I am almost starting over.

All this to say, don't ever give anyone unwanted swing advice. Please. 

Note: This thread is 2164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!