IGNORED

How Many Mulligans Would You Need To Win The US Open?

ssbn611
Note: This thread is 2128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's his swing if you were curious.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Here's his swing if you were curious

Wow, hard to believe he did it under the time limit.

10 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

For me it would be an impossibility.  A solid drive for me is 220

I dunno. Take one or two off the tee to get your 210/220. These fairways probably roll a lot more than many public courses especially in the spring. All of that short grass in the fairway is like a hard green. Take a couple fairway wood tries to get one that goes about 180. So now you are 40 to 50 yards off the center of the green on a longer par 4. Now you take your time and hit 3, 4, 5 or so approach shots until you get one that rolls up to say 15 feet. Then you lay down a few balls and make some puts adjusting for how each previous one rolled. You should be able to make par with 6 to 12 mulligans per hole in 15 minutes or so.

This kind of mental exercise can build confidence.

I average 260 carry with driver. 20 roll on normal fairway. I guess 40 on this hard ones.
300 average. 50% FIR. So i will need 18 mulligans on long shots (4 on par 5 and 0 on par 3).
On approach shots to the green on an avergage of 480 yards par 4... it will be a 6 iron. I think i easily hit the green 1 out of 3 times in average. That´s 36 mulligans. I need 4 GIR inside 15 feet, average of 10 feet. 25% convertion rate, so i need 3 mulligans each birdie. On the other 14th i just need two 2 putt from an average of 30 feet. 10% three putt. That´s at most 2 mulligans. 

That´s a total of 68 mulligans. (54 long, 12 putts)
Playing alone i finish 18th holes in 2hours and a half.
On the range i hit 50 balls in 60 minutes.

let´s say 64 minutes for the extra 54 long shots and 10 minutes for the extra 12 putts.
2hours and a half plus 74 minutes equals less than 4 hours.
I have an extra hour to hit 50 more mulligans and improve the score.      

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 7:47 PM, ssbn611 said:

Bar Stool Sports’ Dave Portnoy thinks he could shoot 4 under each day an win at 12 under if he had unlimited mulligans. 🙂

1 - 4 under each day is -16.  not -12.  So Dave is bad at math.

2 - 5 hours is not 'unlimited', so the USGA is also bad at math - we already know that.

So what does he really have for conditions?

• Shinnicock is a Par 70 - so he needs a 66 to prove his point
  • 5 hours isn't unlimited - it's 300 minutes
  • 300/66 - 4 minutes 30 seconds (about) per shot - including travel time between each shot

Get to the ball, figure out the shot, setup and swing.  then you get to hit and hit until you get your result, or run out of time.  So it's really how many shots can you take during that interval once the required stuff is pulled out.

Sounds like a couple minutes to hit 3 or 4 shots and then you're eating into your time for the rest of the round.....of course the short game one could punch out a ton of shots rapid fire.  A 4 man scramble with myself and a lot of extra putts essentially.

If the course has a lot of driving and moving and it's particularly difficult, then they are essentially offering him a normal PGA round in terms of time.

I'd need a cart, and a caddie that tells vs discusses, and someone to help clear away crappy putts and short shots out of the way.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Not to sound arrogant, but with that swing I'm quite surprised he was able to achieve the goal. But ... it's clear that swing got the job done.

Myself ... I wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe 10 hours, if given the chance. But certainly not 5.

Well done, Mr. Portnoy. 

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

• Administrator
5 hours ago, rehmwa said:

1 - 4 under each day is -16.  not -12.  So Dave is bad at math.

2 - 5 hours is not 'unlimited', so the USGA is also bad at math - we already know that.

So what does he really have for conditions?

• Shinnicock is a Par 70 - so he needs a 66 to prove his point
  • 5 hours isn't unlimited - it's 300 minutes
  • 300/66 - 4 minutes 30 seconds (about) per shot - including travel time between each shot

Get to the ball, figure out the shot, setup and swing.  then you get to hit and hit until you get your result, or run out of time.  So it's really how many shots can you take during that interval once the required stuff is pulled out.

Sounds like a couple minutes to hit 3 or 4 shots and then you're eating into your time for the rest of the round.....of course the short game one could punch out a ton of shots rapid fire.  A 4 man scramble with myself and a lot of extra putts essentially.

If the course has a lot of driving and moving and it's particularly difficult, then they are essentially offering him a normal PGA round in terms of time.

I'd need a cart, and a caddie that tells vs discusses, and someone to help clear away crappy putts and short shots out of the way.

Well, as it turns out he succeeded in shooting 66, so…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not surprised he did it. With enough attempts you can put together a pretty good round of golf, even if you're not particularly good. Just look at Texas scramble scores. The rules are different, but the principle is somewhat the same, that you use the better placed ball.

He also had a lot of people helping him, providing balls, carrying clubs etc. The course is obviously tougher than what most of us play on, but it's still a golf course with tee, fairway and green. As long as you're able to hit the ball in the right direction somewhat consistently, having a large amount of mulligans is a big advantage. You don't have the same level of fear at each shot. You can hit the driver with all you got. If it ends up in the wrong place, just hit a new ball. Even on narrow fairways you should be able to find the fairway with good distance on a shot.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Well, as it turns out he succeeded in shooting 66, so…

Yeah, pretty cool.  I think I'm good with 3-4 (that's very conservative) self scramble to to achieve it.  Still pretty neat.

Bill - 

Im actually really interested in the strategy.

For off the tee, should he be hitting a mulligan until he's 290 on the fairway?

Should he only accept landing on the green for birdie putts.

How much time should he waste on some holes vs others.

Edited by cutchemist42

So, I saw the video and the fact that he took 24 mulligans on hole 1... How many total for the round? 

Wow that swing... I'm surprised he got it done but I don't really know the layout or his abilities. 

I could probably get to the greens in short order but take a half hour getting it into the hole thanks to my atrocious putting...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

Wow that swing... I'm surprised he got it done but I don't really know the layout or his abilities. 

I could probably get to the greens in short order but take a half hour getting it into the hole thanks to my atrocious putting...

You're a 7.3, so I don't believe you are that bad. And even a bad putter can easily make putts given enough mulligans. It's more important getting the ball close on the green than hitting the perfect putt. You line up, hit it, find a new ball, if it misses, hit again with some adjustment. The putts also take a lot less time per shot than the tee shots or approach shots. You can rapid fire those putts and one of them must sink.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

30 minutes ago, Zeph said:

You're a 7.3, so I don't believe you are that bad. And even a bad putter can easily make putts given enough mulligans. It's more important getting the ball close on the green than hitting the perfect putt. You line up, hit it, find a new ball, if it misses, hit again with some adjustment. The putts also take a lot less time per shot than the tee shots or approach shots. You can rapid fire those putts and one of them must sink.

I was being a bit facetious but at the moment I would say my 7.3 is generous. I just started my HC again and have not had a new revision this year but it is up to nearly a 10 due to my early season putting.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 1 month later...

Someone should have cut him off because he was clearly not sober. To answer the question about 75 to 80 the greens would kill me. No chance of doing it in four hours or four days for that matter. Those greens are mean and very very very fast.

Note: This thread is 2128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!