IGNORED

$5M or 5 Years in Jail… For a Hole in One? Hypothetical Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

$5M vs. 5 Years in Jail Bet  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take the bet proposed in the first post?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't understand many of the "no" votes. If you're a reasonably good golfer, the odds are pretty well in your favor.

I vote no.  Maybe if I was single.  Odds pretty well in my favor doesn’t make me feel any better if I’m in jail for 5 years away from my family.  Although I do feel confident I could do it.  Just not worth that risk. 

• Upvote 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gun to my head, I would take the bet. I'll hit flagsticks on the range a couple of times a year, and I'm pretty sure I don't take 7500 swings on the driving range every year. 

But man, can you imagine if you don't make it the first 3 weeks? The pressure would be getting pretty high at that point.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

No. I am comfortable with my financial situation and 5 years in prison is not a risk I will take. I am fairly certain given 7,500 attempts I would put one or more in but not certain.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

I have to agree with @bkuehn1952.   The five years in jail would pretty much put an end to my golfing career and my marriage.   I can live w/o the extra money and still play golf when I choose.     The risk isn't worth the reward.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

If I were a single man, I'd take the bet. But having a family that depends on me...I'll pass. 5 million would be life changing for sure but so would 5 years in prison when I am living comfortably as is.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Even though I understand that the odds are in my favor, the downside results don't justify even a reasonably small risk.  

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I think their might be easier ways to get $5M while still running the risk of going to jail (but less risk). 

The 1/12,500 does not mean that I'll get 1 within 12,500 attempts. Or even 100,000+ attempts.

I like $ money but I love my freedom.

Edited by 3jacker

While I'm sitting in jail I'd have plenty of time to ponder how I beat the odds and still somehow failed to ace the hole.  I can easily picture this. The last day or so of attempts would really suck with that kind of pressure. No way.

I've watched that Euro Tour hole-in-one challenge too many times for me to take the bet.
While I think I could make on with 7,500 shots, and the knowledge that you want to roll the ball at the hole not fly it in; there is a part of me that thinks I'm jinxed as I'm still waiting for my first one during a round of golf. Then again I've only been playing about 50 years.

I think the important question is this some hard time SuperMax prison, a shit-hole state run facility or one of those Federal Club-Fed minimum security type joints?

I've gotta agree with @jamo it would be an interesting conversation with my grandkids. I lipped out a couple of 8 irons from 145 so I'm doing 5 years, how is school going for you?
And @DeadMan is right, the pressure would certainly start to build after the first week or 2.

I'll stick to buying a mega/powerball ticket every month or so; odds are a lot worse than this challenge, but I'm not going to jail for losing $2.

Players play, tough players win!

4 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I think the important question is this some hard time SuperMax prison, a shit-hole state run facility or one of those Federal Club-Fed minimum security type joints?

Norway has some very enlightened, nice prisons.  At least one.. I saw on a Netflix show the other day.  I might take the bet if it was stipulated that I'd go to jail in Norway.

Never made a hole in one, I would not take the bet, my game is not good enough to take that risk!! Also I want to see my children grow up in the next 5 years!

Refused the offer. I have a good life, if i won, it could be better but if not my life could get ruined at all.
Jail = punched/kicked daily, probably get raped and could get killed. Life after prison it´s going to be a really bad one, unemployed, with a lot of phsicological issues, and probably a bit lonely. Imagine facing a Par 3 after 5 years in jail, hartbreaking... jaja.  

Moreover, 0 holes in one after 20 years of golf (12years  as a scratch player). Just 3..4 holes-outs outside 100 yards... No sir!

Wow... so tempting!  

I don't think I could take the bet, though.  I'm good with my 8 iron, and I'm certain with that number of shots... I'd come very close, but... if I didn't make one early on, the pressure would mount and it would become near impossible.  

I play golf for fun and to relieve stress.  Bringing stress into the equation with the threat of prison hanging over my head would completely destroy that for me!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Tough call. 

I'd need time to think about and more time to prepare for it if things were a go.

Hitting from 135 yards to an open green is actually one of my most preferred shots in golf. The odds seem pretty good.

Financially, I'm ok personally, but there are others close to me who are not. The $5M would really help, but I'd need to also be sure of their welfare if I go to the gray-bar hotel.

Note: This thread is 1719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!