IGNORED

2019 PGA Championship

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well to each his own. I think he tries to be low key where it comes natural to DJ. I think he actually wants to be the talk all over but at the same time tries to be mysterious and elusive. He probably has more to say than he forces himself not to. He’s dull, zero emotion...’Me play golf...me go to gym.’ His personality reminds me of Ryan Lochte. Outside of his talent he really doesn’t have much to say unless it’s about going to the gym.

That's all perfectly reasonable.

It reminds me of F1 fans debating Senna vs Schumacher.

Watching Koepka these days, I could easily imagine him in a Jack/Tiger/Brooks conversation a decade from now, being favorably compared to neither of his predecessors.

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

Personally, I don't think the PGA should allow it's players to chew tobacco or smoke on the course. Not to sound like an old man, but it sets a terrible example to kids. Do whatever you want once not on TV.

Good grief.  I am an old man and couldn’t care less!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, ncates00 said:

You were saying?

Okay he's -12 through 36 holes and has a 7 stroke lead.

I don't think he's shooting 256 for 72 holes. Could he break the aggregate record of 264? Easily that just takes him finishing -17 or better. Is he going to win by more than 15? He may win by double digits but 15... Someone may finish to -8 or -9 to finish second.

I'm actually pulling for Spieth. Yes, he's 7 back going into Saturday, but he has only BK in front of him. Not saying he'll definitely overcome it, but 7 strokes has been made up in 36 holes in a major at least a few times. Larry Nelson at Oakmont comes to mind.

I think only the players under par stand a chance (maybe the guys at Even too) IF and only IF Brooks comes back to the field a bit. I'm not saying a staggering high number like an 80. But say Koepka shoots 73 tomorrow, and say Rickie fires a 65 or anyone in the last 6 groups fires a 65 or better. You have a brand new ball game.

That being said, the 12 or so holes I watched Brooks play today, were absolutely surgical, yes he made a couple bogeys. But he's knocking it nearly stone dead on 15 and 16. He just doesn't give a shit that 15 is the hardest hole on the course, apparently he didn't get the memo. 

Anyone who shoots 128 for 36 holes on the hardest course in New York State (maybe other than "The Monster"). Deserves my congratulations.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Tiger wins the Masters a month ago and you say he’s yesterday. That’s asinine.

That was like soooooo last month. It's practically yesterday.

58 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Watching Koepka these days, I could easily imagine him in a Jack/Tiger/Brooks conversation a decade from now, being favorably compared to neither of his predecessors.

In a GOAT debate? Koepka doesn't win enough. He's only won five PGA Tour events so far. Yes, three are majors, but still.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If this koeps up...there will be a name for it.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

most boring major in PGA history.  Leave it to Beaver reruns might be better this weekend.  If this guy is really this good, we might be seeing domination like never before

3 hours ago, Ping said:

Minor edit required. If you are referring to the 2019 Master's, Eldrick did not "win" that tournament, Molinari gave it to him with his waterball on the 12th, (think Speith/Willet). Francisco had a lock, and only his poor shot on 12 moved Eldrick into the winners circle. Had Francisco made the green in regulation, he would have won.The leg humpers at the Golf Channel have waxed ad nauseum about Eldrick catching Jack. Ain't gonna happen....Eldrick didn't "blow one up." He is where he usually is on Friday...right on the cut line, or in this case, below.

Koepka is a stud...Eldrick is yesterday.

Let me make sure I've got this worked out.

You use the name "Eldrick" as often as possible and never say "Tiger". If someone quizzes you on that, you innocently say "But that's his name".

No-one calls him Eldrick. And "Tiger" is on all of his trophies. That's a pretty pathetic way of criticising a person who is certainly one of the two greatest players of all time. 

And by the way - The Masters is a 72 hole tournament. Did Tiger not have to play holes 12 to 18 in your peculiar world?

27 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

And by the way - The Masters is a 72 hole tournament. Did Tiger not have to play holes 12 to 18 in your peculiar world?

I have it on good authority that the easiest way to lower your scores is to play fewer holes. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Shame that Tiger missed the cut.  The weekend is not the same without him.

I like Koepke but he's not even close to generating the level of interest Tiger does for the game.

As for including Koepke in GOAT discussions... oh, please, silly.  Woods, Nicklaus, Snead.

Koepke has only won 5 tournaments in 4 years on tour. Snead? 82 wins over 30 years, Tiger 81 over 24 years, Jack 73 over 25 years!  No comparison.  I think wins matter, not just major wins.  For that reason I rate Sam Snead as the best ever, and I also think he had the best swing.

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t know how to post sound clips...but Colin Cowherd nailed it with Koepka. I completely agree. Total bore.

I think you are joking.  Personally, watching BK play stress free golf on a course that has a Warning sign is cool to me.  I wish my rounds were so boring. 

On another note, Brooks’ press conference before the event he laid down the gauntlet. In effect he said, ‘I have the trophy’. In other words ‘take it if you can’. He set the tone and is backing it up.  Thats guts. It reminds me of another great in his field, Ali. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gjunkie57 said:

I wish my rounds were so boring. 

Like I said, to each is own. I don’t.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, billchao said:

That was like soooooo last month. It's practically yesterday.

In a GOAT debate? Koepka doesn't win enough. He's only won five PGA Tour events so far. Yes, three are majors, but still.

He said "a decade from now", and it's of course in the event that he keeps winning both majors and regular tournaments.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

26 minutes ago, Zeph said:

He said "a decade from now", and it's of course in the event that he keeps winning both majors and regular tournaments.

That's my point, he doesn't really win regular tournaments. He's 29, time is not on his side. By 29 Tiger was already a HoFer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

After today, do you really even want one?!   :-D 

"In sickness and in health..."

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

That's my point, he doesn't really win regular tournaments. He's 29, time is not on his side. By 29 Tiger was already a HoFer.

Why does he have to try to be Tiger or Jack or Snead? He can be the first Brooks. He can win 3 US Opens or PGAs in a row, first to ever 3-peat a major in the modern era. He can set a record this week. He can win 10+ majors and be a Hall of Famer. He can make his own name. Maybe he’s not interested in these regular tournament records as much. I guarantee you DJ would probably trade all his tournament wins he’s racked up for four majors any day.

Koepka has a confidence in himself that no one has had since Tiger.  And, like Tiger, he will back it up.   This tournament is over and it's very very exciting to watch.  Golf needs a second Tiger Woods ( just like it needed a second Jack Nicklaus) and now we have it.  Golf courses are closing all over the place and homes are being built on that land and that recreational area is gone forever, and that is a crime.  

On 5/17/2019 at 9:47 AM, rehmwa said:

Yeah - Rory was only number 1 for 95 weeks total.  he's such a disappointment.....

He's a disappointment because he hasn't continued to be dominant.  

Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!