Jump to content
joneal

Dustin Johnson Spitting

44 posts / 2431 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Is it a bad habit, sure... It's not the end of the world. It's a waste of energy to make a big deal of this sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dustin Johnson chews..   though relatively inconspicuously.     You really wanna lose your shit, get some eyes on Kevin Kisner sometime.   

honestly, though.  who cares?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I saw Brooks Koepka spit a few times yesterday! EVERYONE GRAB YOUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!

I am more partial to tar and feathers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's hard to take the OP seriously after there was a similar thread about Woods after the Masters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, joneal said:

Last time I looked, this site was called The Sand Trap, not The Dugout.  Different game, different etiquette.   Chewing and spitting in baseball have long been part of the game, some may say part of its charm.  I have no problem with this practice in baseball.  Golf is a different game.  I never saw Arnie or Jack spit.  We choose our heroes, I suppose.  I prefer those who spit less on the golf course.  That's all.

Agreed.  We all do it--spitting, that is--at one time or another (cold, allergies, whatever).  It's just about spitting all the time...

I would rather see someone spit than a smoker leaving ashes all over the place. Cigar smokers on a golf course are the worst offenders. Last week I found a large cigar ash on a green that was probably still an ember when it landed and it burned the green. Spitting does zero harm unless it is something like Sergio did when he spit in the cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Is it a bad habit, sure...

Is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, joneal said:

Different game, different etiquette

Out of all the players out there who don't spit on the course, I wonder how many of them properly repair their pitch marks, if at all?

When I go on a run, I end up needing to spit, rather frequently.  I try to be low key about it, and when I spit on the course I stamp it into the turf a bit with my shoes so there isn't a wad of spit sitting there.  Never do it on the green though, it can wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Out of all the players out there who don't spit on the course, I wonder how many of them properly repair their pitch marks, if at all?

When I go on a run, I end up needing to spit, rather frequently.  I try to be low key about it, and when I spit on the course I stamp it into the turf a bit with my shoes so there isn't a wad of spit sitting there.  Never do it on the green though, it can wait.

This thread is the spittin' image of another similar thread on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yawn....I better put on my monocle and spats and go create a new etiquette book.

(spitting - as long it doesn't spray seeds or butts,......yawn)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DJ spitting on the course. Does not even move my give a sheet meter.

first world problem right there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, joneal said:

Last time I looked, this site was called The Sand Trap, not The Dugout.  Different game, different etiquette.   Chewing and spitting in baseball have long been part of the game, some may say part of its charm.  I have no problem with this practice in baseball.  Golf is a different game.  I never saw Arnie or Jack spit.  We choose our heroes, I suppose.  I prefer those who spit less on the golf course.  That's all.

Agreed.  We all do it--spitting, that is--at one time or another (cold, allergies, whatever).  It's just about spitting all the time...

I played with a group of seniors today, them spitting was the least of my worries. They watered every tree on the back side if you know what I mean. 😂

On 6/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, TRUCKER said:

Are you still playing with the AVX?

yes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I played with a group of seniors today, them spitting was the least of my worries. They watered every tree on the back side if you know what I mean. 😂

yes

 

LOL. When you older young man, you will fully understand how older folks' rrigation systems work like they do.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, iacas said:

You sure as heck saw them smoking. That’s worse by far.

Beat me to it. While we're at it, maybe we shouldn't fart, blow our noses, loosen our pants to re-tuck our shirts, sneeze, cough, burp, scratch, adjust our undies, sweat, eat, drink, swear, or do anything else remotely human while playing golf! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a non US citizen, DJ represents DJ, not at all the US or a a PGA tour player. Not even a golfers, just him. 

I don´t like it when they spit but i don´t think they do it on pourpuse, they just need to do it like going to the bathdroom, so i´m good with it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I spit quite often. I have always had a situation with fluid build up/congestion. I can deal with it often but if I have any minor cold or similar the amount saliva I create is massive. So outside I spit a lot. When I golf/bike/hike I spit often. When golfing I typically spit away from sight and in non primary areas. If that's offensive, I don't care. It's not done to be offensive, it's done to remove excessive saliva build up. Maybe DJ has a similar situation.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm by no means highfalutin but the spitting in all sports does bother me too.  I watch a lot of hockey and the constant spitting is a turn off. 

I saw Koepka spitting a ton this past wknd.  If he was under the weather or had allergies that's one thing but when it gets habitual as a way to stay in a competitive posture through the round/game that I'll just never understand. 

And I do agree that a pro who gets a lot of TV coverage does have influence over young kids and I just don't see the point of propagating that kind of behavior.

I think it's generally accepted that spitting unless for necessity every once in a while is seen as low-class behavior.  Why does that change during a round/game?

In the end, it's something I don't really care that much about and I'll still watch but I'd prefer to not see it.

Also, having to spit a ton to play golf?  C'mon.

43 minutes ago, FLOG4 said:

I spit quite often. I have always had a situation with fluid build up/congestion. I can deal with it often but if I have any minor cold or similar the amount saliva I create is massive. So outside I spit a lot. When I golf/bike/hike I spit often. When golfing I typically spit away from sight and in non primary areas. If that's offensive, I don't care. It's not done to be offensive, it's done to remove excessive saliva build up. Maybe DJ has a similar situation.   

You know reading this maybe that's what the players are trying to do.  Maybe they are trying to do it out of sight but the cameras seem to be catching them doing it.

Still in all, I think plenty of athletes spit unnecessarily out of habit. 

Edited by hespeler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...