IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

Not sure what the point of this question is. 

Just poking fun.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

And my GW is more similar to your PW than it is to a SGI 9-iron.  Is my GW not a wedge?

Trick question. A chipper is not a wedge 😜

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I keep it simple.  If it says wedge on it, I consider it a wedge.  :-D

But my pitching wedge doesn't say wedge on it, it just says "P" and none of my wedges say wedge on them either, so they're not wedges? Does your driver say "driver" on it? 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

Trick question. A chipper is not a wedge 😜

But my pitching wedge doesn't say wedge on it, it just says "P" and none of my wedges say wedge on them either, so they're not wedges? Does your driver say "driver" on it? 😉

I’ll rephrase. If the manufacturer calls it a wedge I’ll do the same.  I just don’t find any need to redefine something that is already well defined.  

I expect that the OP defines a pitching wedge as a wedge too.  If not, he can let us know and everyone but you can change their answer.  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

Quick quiz: Is this a wedge or an iron?

wedge.jpg.6bbebd30fb89a2a7084157da6ad6950b.jpg

Hmm... It has a "W" which seems to imply wedge, but it's built like a game improvement iron?

It's a W-iron? Maybe?

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I expect that the OP defines a pitching wedge as a wedge too.  If not, he can let us know and everyone but you can change their answer.  :-D

Yeah, I pretty much call a pitching wedge a wedge. But it's cool. If @billchao doesn't like calling a pitching wedge a wedge, he can call it what ever he likes. 

I was just curious how many folks were going with the 4 wedge (or 3 wedge, plus a 10-iron) system. I really didn't think it was going to be a controversial thread. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

7 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I really didn't think it was going to be a controversial thread. 

Now you did it.   Bring in the boats!😉

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

My two PWs have a "P" stamp in them. Both are 48* degrees, purchased 10 years apart from each other. Same brand/company, but different styles. They both play the same for me

That said I have seen some older clubs in the 46*-49* degree range, with the number "10" stamped in them. 

Wedges, or irons, it doesn't really matter. They are all just tools, with a specific use, based on the golfer's talent level.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

PW (46*); GW (52*); a 56* and a SW (58*). I know the yardage for each, using my 56* or the 58* depends a lot on the lie if not in a trap. I tend to hit the 58* more even though it is a SW with a large sole.

14 hours ago, billchao said:

Bounce, grind, sole, head shape, weight.

If I handed you a 46° Edel wedge and my 46° MP4 PW the difference would be plain to see. One is more like an iron and the other more like a wedge.

That's because the PW being basically a 10 iron isn't a modern design concept. I think it's only called a wedge because back in the day they called the highest lofted irons wedges. But they had all sorts of weird names for clubs back then and my golf equipment history isn't the greatest.

Starting in 1974, I played for some 20 years with MacGregor MT irons. The set ran 2i-10i. The 10i got used as a PW, but it had certain drawbacks because it was designed as an iron head. While great for full and half shots, it could be iffy for short touch shots around the green. The head had a sharp leading edge, and would sometimes dig in too much and leave the approach short.

I found a MacGregor SW that had some flange-bounce to it - actually an old split-, or step-sole, and this worked better for touch shots. And, it was great for greenside cut shots in the pre-LW era. (And, it was solid out of bunkers)

As non-blade iron heads became more popular in 1980s, rounded leading edges and cambered soles showed up in many clubhead models, both numbered irons and wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I Typically have 5 wedges I like to use...….

Cleveland HB Launcher PW 44 Deg  125 Yds
Cleveland CBX  50 Deg 100 Yds
Cleveland CBX  56 Deg  80 Yds/Sand
Cleveland CBX  60 Deg 60 Yds
Callaway X Forged 64 Deg - 40 yds and in

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

4 -  PW(46), GW(50), SW(54), LW(58)

PW came with my iron set Mizuno

GW is a JPX wedge from awhile ago

SW and LW are both Callaway McDaddy is found a few years ago - of course the SW has a higher bounce

I use all 4 pretty much every round

Bill - 

Four for me:

PW (47*), GW (51*) from my iron set. I'd guess 90% of the time I use these just like an iron, full swing at a specific distance, 125 and 115 yds respectively.

Edel 55and 60*. These are typically for short shots around the green normally 75 yds or less, and rarely with a full swing.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

PW (49o), 53o and 58o as in my description. I do consider my PW a wedge because it is lofted weak by today's standards. They all look the same as well for the most part except the gap in sole surface area is larger between PW and 53 than any other gap in the set.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

PW (45*), SW (55*) and LW (60*).  The PW and SW came as part of the set.  The LW was an impulse buy during a time when I played regularly.  Today it isn't really a club I use much except when I need a high loft shot on hard pan type surfaces since it is low bounce.  My go to club from 100 yards in is the PW in most circumstances, except when I need the additional loft or in a hazard/bunker.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

4 wedges.

PW 48 degrees

52 or 3i switch out depending upon the course I’m playing. if I have a ton of 110-115 yard approaches then 52.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 10/21/2019 at 7:18 PM, billchao said:

Bounce, grind, sole, head shape, weight.

If I handed you a 46° Edel wedge and my 46° MP4 PW the difference would be plain to see. One is more like an iron and the other more like a wedge.

That's because the PW being basically a 10 iron isn't a modern design concept. I think it's only called a wedge because back in the day they called the highest lofted irons wedges. But they had all sorts of weird names for clubs back then and my golf equipment history isn't the greatest.

But my point is, today there is definitely a distinction between a wedge head and an iron head, design-wise. Most people's pitching wedges are irons IMO.

@billchao you are correct and thus you are a gearhead of significant proportions.

Wedge design is different then iron design and the common PW  may or may not follow wedge design, all depending on the the club producer.

I carry 4 wedges, 48, 52, 56 & 60.  I am still learning what I can and cannot do with a 60 thus I rarely use it on the course.  

When I started playing I only had a PW which was a 50 back in the long ago days.  So you had to learn to hit a multitude of shots with that club.  It was both fun and hard.

I prefer today with the multitude of wedge options available. It has made the game easier for me.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

• iacas changed the title to How Many Wedges Do You Carry?
  • 2 years later...

I understand that one might play a different bag for different courses, but say you're going to a new place of no particular extreme and are carrying your normal arsenal of 14.

I did discover the few years ago when I first got re-interested in golf that there are all sorts of new wedges out there now, and I bought a few. But I'm back to the pair that I grew up with. Two reasons, one is that I'm playing old weak blades, so there is no "gap" to fill (so one was redundant). The other is that I learned how to make those two wedges do what I needed to be done with wedges.  But that's just me and those odd few like me.

I'm not mad about how many wedges or clubs anyone uses. Use what you like and enjoy and works for you.

I ask because I was looking/shopping for a lightweight, low capacity bag for use on short courses or limited-club challenges on normal courses. In the reviews at one particular place selling such bags, one fellow berated the bag for not holding the number of clubs claimed. He happened to list the clubs he was trying to carry. Those were a 9i, a putter, and FIVE wedges.

Of course the problem is that those bag capacity is rated for standard grips and not midsized, or OS, or jumbo putter grips (which another cat was whining about.).  Anyway, with regard to wedges, I understand how the gap came to be and get how three or four is common number of wedges these days (I think), but I had no idea there were folks using five wedges-or maybe he's the only one. What says this bunch?

And, as always, feel free to redirect me to any recent topic of this sort, I searched and didn't find. I know how worrisome it can be for folks new to a forum to post again the same questions that have been hashed over three times already in a last six months. I try not to be that person.

Edited by Wade Patton
I moved the word "two" from the wrong side of the word "wedges" in one sentence. Also changed "a" to "any". in front of "recent topic".

This ain't no Party, this ain't no Disco...

• Administrator

@Wade Patton, TST has been around for almost 20 years. I've merged your topic into this pre-existing one. We'd rather you bump an existing topic than start a new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets