IGNORED

That Awkward Moment

Cantankerish
Note: This thread is 1398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been enjoying golf these past two years.  I enjoy meeting people and playing with friends.  When you meet a person through the lens of golf for four hours, it is long enough to be a journey.  I like how the conversation is just golf at the beginning -  yet I always come away knowing if the others have kids and what they do for a living or what brought out a dedicated single that day.  At the end of the round, when we shake hands and exchange courtesies, I sincerely mean it.  Well, almost every time.  I do not know what to do now.  I watch the hand coming at me now, and not the eyes.  Is it a fist or open?  One person even waved at me.

I miss the hand shake. I find it a meaningful end to a privileged day. What have you been doing? (if admin wants to add a poll, go ahead.)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't fear COVID but why tempt it? Bumping elbows is a more than adequate replacement for the handshake. You can always add "I would have loved to shake your hand" or exactly what you said "I miss the handshake". The love will be felt. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

If you have hand sanitizer with you shaking is fine. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

If you have hand sanitizer with you shaking is fine. 

I’ve met a few people on the course that carried hand sanitizer with them. One even offered me some once.

They usually keep it in a flask 😉

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

We shake hands or fist bump.  Pretty much as always.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think the fist bump is more apparent in my area than elbows. I still don't mind shaking hands as long as the other person comes at me that way. I tend to do whatever I see the other person lean towards. I like the first bump though. With handshaking, there is always that split second awkwardness on how hard to grip...haha. I like a firm handshake and find that some people barely even touch my hand when shaking.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 hours ago, billchao said:

They usually keep it in a flask 😉

Everclear 😉 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

on the surface, after 18 holes of inadvertent contact via incidental flagstick contact, grabbing your clubs which there is a non-zero chance that someone has picked up a club around the green and hand it to you or similar means of incidental contact (as carts open up I have see a lot of people sharing cans of various liquids for example), it is not like a brief hand touch really drives up the danger that high, especially if you wash hands before leaving the course which you should regardless of contact on the green. And I would really like to reemphasize that...after a round of picking up balls from the ground, grabbing your golf club handles that a very very small percentage of people disinfect after the round, and even fewer during it...you really ought to be washing your hands prior to leaving the course regardless of post-round hand shake or lack thereof.

With that said, I have had a lot of success with a nod and an "air bump" in homage to Psych's Police Academy episode. It comes across friendly, fun and safe to those who take the theoretical danger serious and allows people who don't to respect the needs and wishes of those who do. It is an easy courtesy that minimizes contact while expressing thanks for sharing a round.

I have been a fist bump person for a very long time for two reasons.

1) handshaking is a great way to catch anything, from the common cold, the flu, COVID-19 and anything that is on the person's hands from not washing well after going to the restroom or just anything.

2) i had hand surgery, shanking hands can be down right painful.  That firm handshake leads to pain.  

I travel all over the country for work, on a travel ban currently and i am in hospitals all over the country for work.  Early in my career i learned all about touch points and the best possible way to try and not spread any germs and avoid coming home with the traveler's flu.  So all of this is just a natural carry over for me.  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I suggest the post-round kiss instead of the post-round handshake:

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Take your hat off an do a flamboyant bow with hat in hand near the turf and the other behind you back 😆

I like to be proactive about awkwardness. 

We putt out on 18 or 9, I'll just say, "Good playing with ya. You do handshakes or waves?"

In Miami Co., OH most of em are still shaking hands.

Elbow bumps at the start with strangers today, fist bumps at the end.   It's almost always fist bumps regardless of the golf company. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

Take your hat off an do a flamboyant bow with hat in hand near the turf and the other behind you back 😆

Sometimes I curtsy when I’m wearing my kilt.😜

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I do miss the handshake on 18.  Our deal now is we touch putter heads after the round.  I still remove my cap/hat when doing so.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

8 hours ago, RickK said:

I do miss the handshake on 18.  Our deal now is we touch putter heads after the round.  I still remove my cap/hat when doing so.  

That’s a cool idea.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!