IGNORED

What do you use to keep track of your stroke count?

Note: This thread is 2604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

53 members have voted

1. 1. What method of stroke counting do you use?

• Digital Scorecard
    • Clicker-style counter
    • Thumbwheel counter
    • String of Beads
    • Other purpose-made counter device
    • Pencil and paper or other "general-purpose" device
    • I just trust my head

• Administrator

My mind.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My mind.

Well its easy for you. You don't have to keep track of nearly as many shots as then rest of us.

On courses I play a lot I add up the strokes after the round unless I'm playing some sort of competitive round where I have to keep a scorecard. No trouble remembering all of the shots with a quick replay of the round in my mind, and I know where I stand against par all along during the round. On new courses the sequence of the holes gets more jumbled in my mind so I write the score down after each hole.

I just keep track of where I am in relation to par. So if I par the first hole (par 4), bogey the second (par 3) and par the third (par 4) I'm at +1. I don't track the total (in this case 12) because I find it easier to manage the small number math of adding 1s, 2s and 3s :doh: then adding up totals per hole. I never carry a scorecard anymore unless I'm playing with others and there's something on the line including bragging rights.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I just keep track of where I am in relation to par. So if I par the first hole (par 4), bogey the second (par 3) and par the third (par 4) I'm at +1. I don't track the total (in this case 12) because I find it easier to manage the small number math of adding 1s, 2s and 3s  then adding up totals per hole. I never carry a scorecard anymore unless I'm playing with others and there's something on the line including bragging rights.

I'm the same way...I can't NOT keep a running score vs par in my head. I've tried a few rounds of "I'm just gonna work on shots and not keep score" but it never ends up that way lol.

I just keep track of where I am in relation to par. So if I par the first hole (par 4), bogey the second (par 3) and par the third (par 4) I'm at +1. I don't track the total (in this case 12) because I find it easier to manage the small number math of adding 1s, 2s and 3s  then adding up totals per hole. I never carry a scorecard anymore unless I'm playing with others and there's something on the line including bragging rights.

Yep, same here. On the good side, the better you get the easier it is to keep score, not a lot of big numbers to add :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I keep track in my head, but enter into a digital scorecard app at the next tee including FIR, GIR, Putts, Penalties.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

• 2 years later...

I voted digital score card. Golflogix app. Nuff said. NO WONDER EVERYONE IS A BAD ASS GOLFER AND SHOOTS LOWER THAN ME!!!! The largest group in the poll keeps score in their head!? If they keeping it in their heads, no wonder everyone shoots low 80s or better. Lmao!!! It all makes sense now.

• Upvote 1

I take a mental picture of each shot and, after completion of the hole, review the images on the way to the next tee.  When satisfied that my recollection and recent actions are in accord; I make an appropriate notation.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I have a thumb wheel / clicker style counter (it only moves forwards, not backwards) but rarely use it.  Mostly rely on the good ol' noggin.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Generally speaking, I know what each player in my group has scored on a hole without too much effort.  If someone has a bunch of issues, penalties, etc, we might have to count them on our fingers before we write them down, but I've never needed to use any artificial counting method.  I also know where I am against par most days, although occasionally in a match play situation I can completely shut that out of my mind, in favor of knowing exactly where the match stands.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Some days I'm a pencil paper guy. I have my own score cards I use. In addition to my scores, there is other information that I like to know about. 

On the days I don't use a pencil/paper, I keep it all in my head. Each hole's stroke count goes something like  -1, E,  or + something. That number is then added to the over all count. So, if I am on the 7th hole, I won't know my actual stroke count, but I will know I am 3 over par as an example. At the end of the round, if I am 9 over par, and the course is a par 72, I know I shot an 81. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I keep count in my head, but I also track via the game golf app on my phone so if I ever forget or lose track it's quick and easy to look at.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I only keep track of how much my opponent $$ shells out at the end of the round.
I've had several friends on a "direct deposit" program for years at my club.
So, I voted for the 'digital' method as I've written my own App just for receiving the right amount of "cash-O'la".....   :whistle:

When new members come looking to take down the Old Guy, I tell them this story.

"Generally when a golfer scores well they have a good day, when they score poorly, they have a bad day.
If they get into my retirement fund, they have a good day, but most often many have very bad days"   :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 2604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!