IGNORED

Tiger Has Spine Fusion Surgery

iacas
Note: This thread is 2497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If Tiger does play again, it may be on the Champions tour.  I know people say he won't do that, but if he takes 8 years off from the game to enjoy his family and to heal, his perspective may change.

I think he will really be embraced and it will definitely give the senior tour a bump.  And he won't be competing against the young bucks.  He can play whatever game he wants, or one his body will allow him, and still be able to compete.

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

That's obviously most important, no doubt. I would just like to see him be able to play a little more

Well in his interview he did mention wanting to get back to competitive golf. Although it was his second desire, it was there. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

We'll see how it goes, but hopefully it will be the end of hearing about his back regardless of whether or not he plays again.

I wish him well.   He is good for the game and whether he decides to continue or retire, I hope he is healthy.    The surgery videos were very interesting.     Thanks @iacas 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Best wishes out to Tiger.  I hope his career does not prevent him from being able to enjoy life.

I know for me the number one concern I have in golf is avoiding spinal injury.  Part of my goal is turning hips and shoulders together without bending.

look at any safety in lifting information and the last thing to do is bend and twist while lifting.

I think number one in golf is being safe.

Edited by Jack Watson

5 hours ago, iacas said:

I think this surgery had more to do with that than anything else.

I have to agree. Heard some reports from the Masters Champions Dinner that Tiger had a problem remaining seated for the whole event. He had to get up and walk around occasionally.

When you're in constant pain like that I'm sure that, for most of us, golf would be the last thing on our minds. But since golf was Tiger's career, I have to believe that he wants a chance to compete again. But quality of life comes first!

17 hours ago, Pretzel said:

We'll see how it goes, but hopefully it will be the end of hearing about his back regardless of whether or not he plays again.

I think we will always hear about it whether he comes back or not.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I really hope this works for Tiger. I think this is first and foremost about relieving the pain and discomfort and being able to have a (somewhat) normal life.  Secondary is golf.  If the pain is gone then he can move his focus to golf and try and work his way back.

I don't expect to see him play any competitive golf until 2018.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

It sounds like his quality of life is pretty bad now because of the back (golf aside). Hopefully this eliminate  the pain so he can at least walk around and enjoy life off of the course. If he gets back on the course, that would be a bonus.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

16 hours ago, iacas said:

I think it's relatively minor. But I'm googling it like you may be, too, right now.

My mother-in-law underwent this surgery a few years ago. It's not very invasive because they can go around the back instead of through the abdomen, but I don't think it's considered minor. 6-12 months before you can return to real activity.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

I think he's just hoping it gives him the relief he needs to play with his kids.

Yeah, this time the statement had golf further down in his priorities, which is a good sign.

I feel bad for Tiger. My understanding is that these surgeries are a bit of a last resort, and that in bigger, randomized trials, they found no significant difference in outcome between doing surgery and rehab. One such study is here: http://www.bmj.com/content/330/7502/1233?ehom=. Hopefully Tiger has a better than average outcome.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, chspeed said:

My mother-in-law underwent this surgery a few years ago. It's not very invasive because they can go around the back instead of through the abdomen, but I don't think it's considered minor. 6-12 months before you can return to real activity.

I think the opposite is true: they went through the abdomen and that's better because it doesn't involve damaging the back muscles (like when they go through the posterior side).

6-12 months before you can return to real activity.

Lanny Wadkins had the same surgery plus screws - which involves flipping the patient over after doing the abdominal portion, then spreading and damaging the back muscles too - August 29 and was hitting drivers early January. So he just said on Morning Drive.

I think they've said 3 months with no activity, and 6 months for nearly full recovery. That's for a normal person, though.

I feel bad for Tiger. My understanding is that these surgeries are a bit of a last resort, and that in bigger, randomized trials, they found no significant difference in outcome between doing surgery and rehab. One such study is here: http://www.bmj.com/content/330/7502/1233?ehom=. Hopefully Tiger has a better than average outcome.

Tiger had done the rehab, though, and so surgery was his next option. The success rates of ALIF fusion of L5/S1 seem to be quite high from what I've read.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll echo everyone else who's said I just hope he's able to get back to a pain-free life. Golf comes second, if ever. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

28 minutes ago, jamo said:

I'll echo everyone else who's said I just hope he's able to get back to a pain-free life. Golf comes second, if ever. 

Definitely this^^^ 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Lets assume his operation was a total success. Lets also assume that Tiger does all the correct rehab stuff to get himself back into tournament contention. Lets also assume he regains most of his short game magic he had when he was unbeatable. 

How far, against today's competition, will he have to hit the ball off the tee to be competitive? What kind of driver swing speed would he need? 

Just curious.........

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

16 hours ago, jamo said:

And I'll echo this.  I had a good friend and a single digit handicapper that finally agreed to this surgery as the pain was just interfering with his life.  Well he never got his single digit handicap back, but he played and enjoyed and told me "I don't know why I didn't do this years ago".

Butch

I just can't see him coming back to golf after this. I know they say this is the one surgery that will be the "end all, cure all", but they said that about the last three as well. As much as I'd love to see him playing again, I've seen too much of him going out, wincing and then withdrawing. It's tough to watch. He should seriously just hang it up and enjoy his life with his family, hopefully pain-free. Best of luck to him.

Edited by ChrisP

Note: This thread is 2497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!