IGNORED

Fan Ejected by Justin Thomas - Right, Wrong or Indifferent

divot dave
Note: This thread is 2233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, David in FL said:

But I bet you cheer when the opposing team fumbles, or actively root for them to miss a field goal.

No, I cheer for my team to recover the fumble.

And if another team has a field goal I assume they'll make it. I've already conceded them the three points.

And, other sports don't have the same level of sportsmanship as golf has historically been able to rely upon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm split on this too.  In most other sports, if you're rooting against someone, you're also rooting for whomever they are playing against.  Golf is more you versus the course, so to yell for a ball to get in the water or a bunker is just a dick move.  Also at other sporting events, there's a thousand other people yelling too.  This dude was standing right on the fence and very audible to the players as are most at golf events.  And really, if you are going to yell something inappropriate, you should be ready for the consequence of that action.  Justin has no reason to apologize for ejecting him.

On the other hand, I do understand the need for a slightly thicker skin.  But, not just that, learn to talk s*** back to them.  They yell get in the bunker, just point it out to him it's in the fairway, but nice try, or something to let dude know you hear him and it doesn't effect him.

Stuff like this reminds me of this scene.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'm ok with it.  The heckling is classless.

But I'd rather the Tour or the individual venues would publish very specific guidelines on ejection to include the level of shouting and heckling (maybe they already do and I just want it ramped up).  And the marshals and volunteers enforce it instead of the players.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

44 minutes ago, phillyk said:

But, not just that, learn to talk s*** back to them.

I disagree.  If you start crabbing back at them it only encourages the bad behavior.  The 16th hole at the WM is fun and hilarious, but at the same time I've always wondered how long it would take for that seed to grow too far. Now we're starting to see the result.

Golf is a gentleman's game, and I have zero problem with the guy getting chucked from the tournament. I also feel it should have been taken care of first by the on-course marshal's.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Listen, the guy was obviously a jackass because you just don't say things like that. You don't root against people in golf it's just bad etiquette, it's classless. He was yelling something sh:poo:ty just to get a reaction, well, he got a reaction. That being said perhaps JT could have just told the guy to settle down, but he's in the heat of the chase, he's trying to win a golf tournament, emotions are high, and I will not fault him for getting so easily irritated. 

Personally, I like it. I don't think the jackasses in our society get dealt with often enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I don't think it matters all that much.  I won't look at JT any different than I did before.  He is a golfer, I watch golf.  That is about as far as my relationship goes with the man.  I  think that it would have been better if JT could have hunkered down and played through the guy's remarks.  How much better does it feel when you stuff shots while someone is eagerly rooting against you?  I am just surprised that the guy was able to get that much into JT's head.  

Sorry to see it, but JT is now a target for hecklers. Rather than going on a crusade, I would suggest that he has a set of foam earplugs ready in his pocket when things get on his nerves. In seconds, he can perform in his own quiet little world, without any effect on his swing. What you can't hear won't bother you.

4 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I don't think the jackasses in our society get dealt with often enough. 

I understand, and even agree a bit.  

But a much larger part of me is sick and tired of people who are so easily offended over any slight, real or perceived.  

Toughen up, grow a spine, and carry on with a bit of class...!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Baby la la, I say. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

A post I made elsewhere so formatting issues...

The point nobody's making is that forget the player, it's really annoying to 99% of the idiot's fellow attendees. EVERYONE wants the jerk to stfu. This should be nipped in the bud right away by officials put in place by the tour. It shouldn't be up to the players to enforce. The way things are going, it's only going to escalate.

It's a great group-think kind of thing for everyone to agree to be quiet and not interfere. That's ruined for everyone when one person interferes. Being allowed to be so close to the action is predicated upon fans being respectful. There are certain places where a certain hole or area is allowed to be rowdy and look how fenced back everyone is. It would really suck if that happened at all events. 

I stood just a few paces away from Tiger Woods a few times and it's cool to be close.

So if you're the type to yell out at players, you're simply a colossal A-hole.

Edited by NEhomer

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

I like that the jerk was kicked out. I don't like that Justin Thomas did it, I wish officials would do take care of the jack-asses. 

I don't blame Thomas though,  being someone who has also lost my temper/patience and done things that I later regret. 

Edited by No Mulligans

Heckling is fine in basketball or football because usually there is a home and home series.   The Packers have to play in Chicago, and the Bears have to play in Green Bay.  Heckle away, because it's a fair balance. 

But Sergio Garcia has to play the Players Championship in one place only- Jacksonville, USA.  So when the fans try to tilt the contest against him with unbelievable verbal abuse between holes, it is absolutely unfair.  These players have to walk right past the spectators, and they take shots from the tee or from the fairway with spectators right next to them. 

This is why I am totally in favor of ejecting all golf hecklers.  The fans should not be allowed to affect the outcome.  I want to see a fair contest. 

I'm fine with JT having the guy ejected. I agree 100% with @No Mulligans that it really should have been tournament or PGA Tour officials doing the ejecting.  They (the Tour and/or tournament officials) seem to be unwilling to confront shitty fan behavior.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Heckling is taught at an early age.

So is respect and knowing when certain behaviors are not ok. 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I don't get the black and white perception of this situation (so I'm glad that the thread title offers the third 'indifferent' option) because like basically anything else in this world, it's a grey area.  He's not some hero for tossing the guy nor is he some thin skinned sissy.

Whatever event you're at, if you act a certain way, you're running the risk of getting thrown out.  You can yell things at a football game and since you're probably at least 50 yards away from the players and drowned out by thousands of other screaming fans, your chances of being kicked out are slim and so your behavior is deemed 'acceptable'.  When you're 15 feet from a player and the only one in the crowd harassing them, well you're rolling the dice.  It's all relative.

Could Thomas have just brushed it off?  Sure.  Could Thomas simply have been thinking this jackass needs to learn to show the players, not just himself, some respect while they're concentrating?  Sure.  Regardless, that guy has nobody to blame but himself.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Note: This thread is 2233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!