IGNORED

How Many Pure Shots per Round?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pure Shots  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How many shots (of about the 30-33 full swings you take in 18 holes) do you "pure" or hit "really solidly" per round? (See first post for definition.)

• 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10-12
    • 13+ (liar)

I voted 1-3. Most of mine are with the driver.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I said 4-6, I went back and revisited my last round and I came up with 6 shots, but I actually hit the ball really well that day. That would mean on a regular day it'd be 3-4, a bad day maybe 1-2.  I normally have at least one shot a round that I flush, its the shot that keeps you coming back for more.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yep, I read that right after I posted.  Did not "pure" that post.

You can revise your vote (you still can, in perpetuity). You could have edited your post, too, but that time has passed now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted 1-3.  I have that many (few) shots where I look up in my follow through and the ball is flying straight and long. Those shots are the ones that my follow through are in balance and I can pose watching it.  

I must be delusional.  When I get home from a round I write down the what I think were the really good shots.  I do that to off-set my memory of the bad ones.  Pared down to full swings...the number isn't one or two...it's 8,9, 10,11, or so.  Those are the shots that split the air and go like they were shot from a cannon.  Most of them fly long...but are a sight to see.  They feel effortless and the golf ball seems not to have weight.  The sound is different and I wonder why I can't do that all the time.  I accept that I do not...and that's how my game goes.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

After reading over all the comments, it seems as if it is one of those situations where "the more you know, the more you know you don't know ", which seems to level out skill level to perceived skill level. Quite interesting.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

My answer 1-3.  It is very rare to hit it pure.  IMHO, about 2-5% per round is good day for me.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My original response was 1-3 shots, but that’s because I’m harsh on myself on what I consider pure shots/really good. I have maybe 1 or 2 shots a round where I really could not have hit a shot better. But, the question includes shots that are a tiny off but still really good and I usually have several of those, so 4-6. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I'll be honest here and say I never consider any of my good drives "pured" simply because they're by accident 😅

I've hit one "pure" driver this year and it was with you @nevets88 and @jamo. And Jamieson was still 40 yards in front of me! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I voted 4-6 because I went through my last round and there was four shots I was very happy with, that’s fairly typical for me per round. I don’t know if I’d call them pure but I don’t think I could have hit them better so I’ll stick with it

I said 4-6, which is round dependent for sure. If my timing is on I can strike a lot of very solid feeling shots, but the clubs I use could be masking those off center hits with the forgiveness built into them. I can also mishit pretty horribly those same rounds. If I'm having a really bad round I'd probably struggle to hit 1-3, but I don't know that I go a full round without hitting at least one flush shot. Of course, I could be completely delusional too.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

At my level “pure” is relative and I chose 1-3.  I typically hit at least one drive exactly where I wanted to with a carry and roll up to 225.  I also play a lot of hybrids and will hit a shot or two as straight and far as I am able.  Pure? To a 67 year old 16 handicap they feel pure to me.

Okay, I had to really think about this question. The first problem is I've played very few 18 hole rounds this year. Mostly I've been grabbing 9 holes when ever I can. I played 9 after work on Wednesday this week and hit the ball really well. I scored well too. I shot a one over par 37. I can remember 7 shots that would fit iacas's definition of pure or really solid. Having said that I also played 9 holes (same course) after work on Monday. I shot a 42 and I only remember hitting 1 shot that would fit iacas's definition. So, if I average the two 9-hole rounds played this week that would be 3-1/2 shots per 9 holes???? I guess that means 7 shots in 18 holes???? 

Maybe that's high. I mean I hit the ball really well on Wednesday. Maybe that's an outlier. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

My first thought when I read the question was about 3 or 4, which straddles two responses.  On tougher days its more like 1 or 2, on really solid days it could be 5 or even 6.  Since I had a good solid 9 holes on Tuesday, I'm feeling optimistic, so I answered 4-6. 

This is about what I was thinking. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I went with 1-3 after giving a good amount of thought into it about my last couple rounds. Maybe my two rounds of 76 recently could warrant a 4-6 selection but at the end of the day I feel it's more like 1-3 for me right now, and then when I have a bad day it's most certainly 0!

:titleist:

:tmade:

Note: This thread is 1261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!