IGNORED

Do You Normally Play 9 Holes, 18 or Both?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How often do you play 9 holes?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play 9 holes?

• Never - If I don't have time for the full 18 I'll either not play or just practice.
    • Once in a while - I prefer 18, but I'll do 9 here and there.
    • About half the time I play 9, about half the time I play 18.
    • I usually only play 9, it's rare that I have time for a full 18.
    • I only play 9 holes at a time. I almost never play a full 18.
    • My usual round is 18, but I also play a league which is only 9 holes.

I only play a little over 20 rounds a year and this year I might have played a 9 hole round twice. Part of it is that I just don't have as much time for golf as I'd like.

There's a course near me I play 9 at but the pace of play can be atrocious. I'd rather practice for an hour or two than play 9 holes in 2:30 when I have the time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With the exception of my summer 9 hole league, I will always, always play 18. Playing ha.f the course and then packing up just seems wrong lol.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I've only played one 9 hole round and that was because we got rained out mid-round.   I didn't see an option to always play 18.  

That's the first one. The one that says you never play 9, if there isn't time to get in 18, you don't play. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have a friend that likes to play 9 to keep his Wife happy but when we are on a golf trip he will play as many holes in a day as possible. 

Another friend that only will play 18 or not at all.

Currently I am on a golf forum because I am injured again.  It is down right depressing.  Reading about golf helps.

When I go solo I will play mostly 9 but occasionally 18. What I prefer to do on the 9 hole solo days is drop 2 balls and play them.  I always check with the course to see if they want me to pay for 9 or 18 holes when I do that.  And I make sure the course is not busy.  If it is busy I will only play 1 ball.

9 hole 2 ball golf is some of the most enjoyable golf that I play, especially when I am playing solo.  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I almost forgot. We have a nine hole course close by and it is an old style course with tree lined fairways and doglegs. I started playing back in the 1960's on this type of course and I really enjoy playing it. We usually play nine twice and sometimes at the turn it is really crowded and we don't play the full 18,The real reason I usually play 18 is to post an 18 hole round. I realize you can post just nine, but I prefer to post only 18 holes. So if I played only nine I would save the card and next time I played nine I would put them together and post an 18 hole score. Nor sure if the USGA approves this method but then I couldn't care less back then. 

9 hole rounds - 19

18 hole rounds - 25

Almost all of those 9 hole rounds are league or after work rounds.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I prefer 18, and agree with others that playing 9 just doesn't feel right.  The only time I play 9 is if I go to the course after work and that is all I have time for, but even when I do this I still try to push to get in as many holes as I can before it gets dark.

Gus
---------------

I only play 18. My only 9 hole rounds are rounds that got rained out or shortened for some other unforeseen occurrence. If I can't play 18 I either practice on the range or if the course isn't too busy I will find a gap and go practice on the course. 9 holes just seems like an unfinished round to me.

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

That's the first one. The one that says you never play 9, if there isn't time to get in 18, you don't play. 

my bad....ugh!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

For the past two years now, its mostly 9 due to the after-work league I'm in.   I don't have a lot of time so the 18 is a rare occasion these days.   BUT, when I can, I'll usually play twilight as a single on the weekends because the course gets pretty empty and I can almost finish.   Although I have noticed that in an effort to speed up, after a few holes I get really fast and loose with the swing.😞

Most of my rounds are 18, though time can sometimes reduce the number of holes I play.  9 is very rare though sometimes possible

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

League play is 9 holes, and I play a decent amount of 9-hole twilight rounds. When I play with friends we almost always play 18 though. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Mostly play 18, but for me 18 holes on a full course is too much.  But, the group I play with likes to play 18... 19 actually 😉

I do like to play 18 on an executive course.  Twilight 12 at Torrey Pines north is my favorite (the 12th hole comes back to the clubhouse).

I walk, and have some health issues.  18 on a full course just wipes me out too much for the rest of the day.

I play 9 two or three times a week after work. I play 18 on the weekends or when I take a day off. I prefer to play 18 but won't turn down 9 if that's all the time I have.

Semper Fi,

Doc

• iacas changed the title to Do You Normally Play 9 Holes, 18 or Both?
On 9/24/2019 at 9:03 PM, Archie Bunker said:

I walk 9 just about every afternoon when the private course I belong to is almost empty. Play several balls, so I get at least 18 holes worth of swings😉

If you’re by yourself, on an open course, you should be able to play 18 in close to the same time as you’re taking to goof around hitting multiple balls on 9...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!