IGNORED

Pre-Round Routine

humblepeasant
Note: This thread is 732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pre-round routine  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much time to you spend in the practice area (range, chipping, putting, etc.) before teeing off?

• Walk straight to the first tee (maybe some stretching, warm-up swings)
    • Under 10 minutes
    • 10-20 minutes
    • 20-30 minutes
    • Over 30 minutes

I suspect some pre-round routines will need to change a bit under "social distancing" rules.  Some courses specifically do not want people arriving more than 15 minutes prior to their round to limit the number of people around the clubhouse.  Get out of the car, check-in, go.

Quite a few of the courses where I play have no range.  I will typically putt a bit, swing a club, then go.  When there is a range, I will hit a few balls.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate to be late.   I'd rather not go to an event if I'm going to be late.   I'm almost excessive about time.    Sometimes I do hit some balls before playing, other times, no.   I always hit some short pitch and chip shots and putt before a round.

• Like 3

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Usually first or second tee time in morning, 6:15 AM.  Put shoes on at home, pull into parking lot, grab bag, put on a cart, pay for round, go to 1st tee and i am off...Generally finish between 8:30 and 8:45, then off to coffee shop for hot Mocha and Blueberry Muffin....that is my routine...I play with my two younger brothers and their routine is the same, except they don't do the coffee shop.  I'm 71 and they are 63 and 62...

My routine is to get to the club 15 mins before tee time, check in, bathroom, drinks, then wait around the tee box to make sure no one is cutting in line (yeah, people at my club likes to do that). No warmup at all. 

I do go to the range (pre covid-19 shutdown) after every game to hit 50 drivers. 

On 4/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, David in FL said:

I hit 15-20 balls, just to get the old joints and muscles moving.   Followed by 5 minutes on the practice green to get a feel for the speed for the day.  Call it 15 minutes total...

Ditto

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I hit around 30 balls at home using my launch monitor, than go to the course and spend about 15 minutes chipping and 10 minutes putting.

Edited by Inferno2ss

Ive never had a set pre-round routine.  For recreational rounds I pretty much just go strait out to the first tee from the parking lot. Maybe hit a few chips and putts if the practice green is near the first tee. Sometimes I may hit 5-10 balls if I see some laying around on the practice tee. 

Competitive rounds I'll hit a bag of balls and loosen up a little more. 

• Like 1

I arrive at least 30-45 minutes before all rounds. I hate rushing and I despise being late to anything. I don't want to have to run down to the tee box. I want to get to the course, get my shoes on, shoot the shit with whoever is around, then walk to putting green and then to the range. I have about a 35 ball warmup routine I do every time. Occasionally, there are early morning rounds where its too dark to hit balls and I don't play as well, at least not for the first few holes. 

Personally, I've never understood people that don't do some type of warmup, I just don't think you can play your best if your muscles are cold and stiff. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Sunday is my normal golf day because it fits into the busy family schedule best. I usually try to tee off in one of the first slots, hopefully before the Sunday morning regular 4-some playing $0.25 skins gets off and chokes the course for the rest of the morning.

As such, I’m usually awake 45 minutes before tee off, get dressed and drink a cup of coffee, then pull out of my driveway to head to the course 30 minutes before tee off. I check in and get on the first tee with 5-10 minutes to spare. So my pre-round routine usually involves some jumping jacks to get the adrenaline flowing while waiting for my GPS watch to load the course. If I’m lucky, maybe a few stretches to loosen up hips, shoulders, and back. Sometimes if I remember I’ll pack an apple and bag of nuts in my bag the night before so I can have breakfast on the tee box.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Starting May 5th we get to stretch a little and then putt for 20 minutes. Use the first two holes for warm up. Just hack it off the first tee with a 6 or 7 iron and hope I don't shank it. Just get the ball in the air. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

6 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I have about a 35 ball warmup routine I do every time.

What is your routine? I warm up, but don’t have any specific routine for hitting prior to a round. Maybe I should.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I arrive at least 30-45 minutes before all rounds. I hate rushing and I despise being late to anything. I don't want to have to run down to the tee box. I want to get to the course, get my shoes on, shoot the shit with whoever is around, then walk to putting green and then to the range. I have about a 35 ball warmup routine I do every time. Occasionally, there are early morning rounds where its too dark to hit balls and I don't play as well, at least not for the first few holes. 

Personally, I've never understood people that don't do some type of warmup, I just don't think you can play your best if your muscles are cold and stiff. 

Ditto.  I hate being rushed, so even now when no practice area is open I still arrive at least 30-45 min. before my tee time and sit in my car until 15 min prior to my tee time.

I had a buddy who, no matter what, always arrives just as we are either being called to our tee box or we are in the process of teeing off.  I finally got fed up with this and have not played with him for the last few years.

• Like 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I try to arrive at least 45 minutes before the tee time. I don't like being late for anything, especially golf though. I grab a small bucket and start with pitch shots working all the way up to to the driver. I like to end on the range with a few shots that I'll tee off with at the first hole. Then I'll chip and putt for the rest of the time until I have to head to the first tee. I never used to do anything but a few simple stretches before a round. A friend suggested doing this and it took strokes off my game. 

• iacas changed the title to Pre-Round Routine
  • Administrator

Depends greatly how much I care.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

What is your routine? I warm up, but don’t have any specific routine for hitting prior to a round. Maybe I should.

Well I start on the putting green actually short putts then mid range (10-15 foot) to get the speed. Then on the range I hit:

• 7- wedges
  • 5- 8 irons,
  • 5- 6 Irons
  • 3- 4 irons.
  • 3- Hybrids,
  • 3- 3 woods 
  • 4- Drivers
  • 5- 50 to 75 yard lob wedges.

It doesn't always work out to exactly 35 balls but its close. If I hit a poor shot on the last ball I will rake another over and make sure to finish each club with a well struck shot. All of this is using alignment sticks to make sure I get aimed right to start the round.

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

Ditto.  I hate being rushed, so even now when no practice area is open I still arrive at least 30-45 min. before my tee time and sit in my car until 15 min prior to my tee time.

I had a buddy who, no matter what, always arrives just as we are either being called to our tee box or we are in the process of teeing off.  I finally got fed up with this and have not played with him for the last few years.

My buddy I play with all the time is terrible about that. He's never late, but if we have a 7:30 tee time he gets there at 7:25. Drives me nuts, and he always wonders why he has a hard time on the first 4 holes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Most of the time I play early in the morning so there’s no time for a pre-round routine. If I have time, I’ll usually spend 10-20 minutes warming up, hit a few putts and chips/pitches.

These days, I wake up, turn off my alarm, remember that there’s no golf and go back to sleep.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!