IGNORED

Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Golf?

woodzie264
Note: This thread is 1174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Golf?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. If physical aches/pains/problems were non-issues, and money and time were no object, how often would you play?

• Once a week?
    • Twice a week?
    • 3-4 times weekly?
    • Daily?

If there were no external limiting factors, how much golf would you play per week? Is there such a thing as too much golf?

I think I’d play 3-4/week. I venture to say daily may be too much. Is that blasphemy?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I’d probably practice the other days. Or you’re going to have some rainy days, etc.

I also voted 3-4.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm playing 3-4 times per week on the simulator so it's much easier than playing outside.   For myself, time and money aren't an issue and I play a minimum of twice per week but still want more if life didn't get in the way sometimes.   

I voted 3-4 times per week.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I had been thinking about this or close to this recently. Since my job is basically on the course, I am out there 6 days a week. I don’t play every day as much as I mess around and practice. I probably play a “real” round (or 9 holes) 2 times a week, if that. If I wasn’t out working 6 days a week, I’d probably play 3-4. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I went with daily, but the schedule right now is 6 days a week. Of course, I'm retired, and live on a golf course, so it's pretty much my life. I figure I need at least 1 day a week of relaxation, but if I really don't have anything else to do, I may go down and practice putting or even go to the driving range on my day off.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I voted 3-4 times a week. When I don’t have school (aka my summer/winter breaks), I will play at least twice a week, often more. I remember I was playing with one of my buddies one day, and at one point, he told me that was his seventh day playing in a row. I believe it was my second or third consecutive day. Usually I can deal with two or three straight days of playing, but not much more than that.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I voted 3-4, but it might be closer to 2-3 with practice in between. I do experience golf burnout from time to time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Daily. Right now, for me, there is no such thing as too much golf.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

If time and money weren't issues. I'd either play and/or practice every day. If the weather's good I'm going to play at least 9. (I'm one of those weird guys that likes playing 9.) 

The perfect week day is get up, work out, stretch, go to the range (short session), play 9, go to the range again for some focus practice, head home. 

Then on the weekends I'd like to have a standing tee-time with a group of friends as the first ones out. Play 18 on Saturday and Sunday. 

I would like to say for me there's not too much golf. However, I've never been in the position of being able to play/practice as much as I'd like to, so it is possible that it could become like that old commercial ... "Time to make the donuts...." But it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

tenor.gif.cdce444938b7abe25b39f739b3f34680.gif

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If time and money weren't issues. I'd either play and/or practice every day. If the weather's good I'm going to play at least 9. (I'm one of those weird guys that likes playing 9.) 

The perfect week day is get up, work out, stretch, go to the range (short session), play 9, go to the range again for some focus practice, head home. 

Then on the weekends I'd like to have a standing tee-time with a group of friends as the first ones out. Play 18 on Saturday and Sunday. 

I hadn’t thought about the 9hole option when I answered. Like you, I enjoy the 9 hole round. You’re right though, ideally, I think I’d live life doing the other things that need/I’d like to get done, but play 9 holes in the afternoons and 1 full round on the weekends. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I would like to say for me there's not too much golf. However, I've never been in the position of being able to play/practice as much as I'd like to, so it is possible that it could become like that old commercial ... "Time to make the donuts...." But it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

tenor.gif.cdce444938b7abe25b39f739b3f34680.gif

My Uncle Sammy was a baker/ donut maker. He literally looked just like that but with much bigger forearms!

3-4 times a week with practice in between. I thought I would have done that upon retirement, but the ‘Rona and home repair took over. This year will be different.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

3-4 times a week with practice in between. I thought I would have done that upon retirement, but the ‘Rona and home repair took over. This year will be different.

That's awesome! You can do it! 

The whole of TST supports you!

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The time factor is the big thing. I think 3-4 days is as much as I can even want to handle at this point in my life. 

If the day ever comes where I retire, daily may stop seeming like a silly idea. Some of the retired guys I know don't know what to do with themselves when they aren't at the course. Let's face it. Daytime TV sucks. Winter is pretty rough on some of them.

When I retire, it will be daily unless the weather is bad.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I am transitioning to retirement at the moment, and I'm sure my golf days will increase and my days at the office decrease.  I picked 3-4 days per week, but I won't be surprised if I start out playing every day that I can, at least for a while.  I've played 8 or 9 days in a row a few times in recent memory, and I know that I've felt a kind of golf fatigue near the end.  Some of it is physical, but some is mental, I just have an increasingly difficult time concentrating.  I have a feeling that my sweet spot may be 2 days playing, and a day off.  That works out to be 4 to 5 days a week.  I may end up doing something golf related on the off days, some practice, but for a limited time.  I don't know for sure.  I'll try to come back in a year and update this thread.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 1174 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!