IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played last week - it was a pleasant 45 degrees - one of most enjoyable rounds of year.    Now, we got 5" of snow Monday ... NOT GOOD FOR GOLFFFFFF :pound:

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

A little snow doesn't stop me from practicing, either. Ranges being closed due to the snow does. Below freezing air temperature with single digit wind chill does.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 12/13/2017 at 9:42 AM, nevets88 said:

I thought Rory had a place in FL? No?  I guess maybe he's visiting his parents in Ireland for the holidays and wanted to practice?

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

-1° this morning and 10+ inches of snow on the ground...Talk about winter depression.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

21 hours ago, Yukari said:

I thought Rory had a place in FL? No?  I guess maybe he's visiting his parents in Ireland for the holidays and wanted to practice?

Probably. Guy is a gazillionaire, sticks in wood tee into rubber tee slot. Sometimes ya just gotta improvise.

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 4.01.39 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Snow gone and milder than last week and my usual suspects are out there right now, but I'm just too busy this week at work. :-(

Bill M

Played a couple of times post-Thanksgiving, the last time with temps in the upper 40's and a stiff, cold breeze coming dead out of the North. But that wasn't the major problem. It was the fallen leaves. My buddy asked the counter guy about it before we teed off and the guy said, "Hey, it's Fall. There are going to be leaves." As the entire course was carved out of a dense oak, beech, maple forest, there are leaves galore! And they were still coming out of the trees that late in the year!

Now we're in the deep freeze and the ice fishermen, a gang of maniacs if there ever was one, are getting excited. But it will soon be the new year, thus time for my weekly pilgrimages to the Golf Dome where one can hit balls inside in relative comfort.

Also, since I've retired my Medicare supplemental plan comes with a free membership to something called "Silver Sneakers". I can go the central YMCA and/or the Jewish Community Center and work out for free! So, I'll be spending a bit more time on the workout and fitness page. My legs could use some work.

19 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Down into the single digits this week. Brrrr. 

Single digits?  We woke up this morning to a chill factor of -13º.     Some of the guys from the south need to share their warm weather...  (just sayin')

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The last two weeks I have played in mid to high 30* weather. The greens have been rock hard due to the cold but today it is 40* and it rained yesterday. I am guessing the greens are not frozen and are soft. So for the first time we can throw the ball at the green instead of just laying up in front and play for an up and in short game. 

• Administrator

Nobody's even bothering to do the sidewalks. You can't even figure out where they are.

My snowblower intake is 27" tall, FWIW.

2017-12-26 11.35.48 50%.jpg2017-12-26 11.35.35 50%.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas, I can how anyone could be grumpy after this:  I would be!

ERIE, Pa. -- Forecasters say a Christmas storm dumped a record amount of snow on the Pennsylvania city of Erie and surrounding areas. The National Weather Service's office in Cleveland said the storm brought 34 inches of snow to Erie on Christmas Day, which is a new all-time daily snowfall record for the city. 

Another 19 inches fell before dawn Tuesday, bringing the total to 53 inches — the greatest two-day snowfall in Pennsylvania history. The previous record of 44 inches in Morgantown had stood since March 1958. 

And more snow is expected to fall through Wednesday evening. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny