IGNORED

How "Done" is Tiger Woods?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's "Done"ness  

91 members have voted

1. 1. How "done" is Tiger Woods? (Yes, you're predicting something, and we can all be wrong.)

• He'll never make a cut in a regular PGA Tour event/major again. Or worse.
    • He'll play a few rounds, make a few cuts, but never win again.
    • He'll recover well enough to win a few events here and there in the next decade.
    • He'll return to something stronger than the choice above.

I reluctantly voted for #1, because, sadly, it is closest to an actual statement of retirement.

Tiger, I think it is fair to say, likes to win. Always. And if not always, then consistently, on a regular basis. Unless something remarkable happens very soon - like he shows up at Royal Birkdale and picks up a claret jug (and God, wouldn't that be something wonderful to see?), then I think he'll retire. I can't imagine him showing up to endless Tour events to miss the cut or be encouraged by an occasional top 20 finish, but never winning.

If I could add anything to the poll it would be, "The male version of Annika Sörenstam. The GOAT that retired, and stays retired." 

Edited by ScouseJohnny

His dedication is good, but I don't think his body can keep ut anymore. Play a few rounds, but not win.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, zero said:

From what I've read, which is not much, his mental fortitude, internal drive, etc. are just off the charts. I think he'll win again because it's his entire identity, he must. Win or die trying.

I think that's the problem. His mind is writing checks his body can't cash. 

It's between #1 and #2. I went with #2, because I think he can play through enough pain to score well temporarily. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Curious to see what y'all think. I'm leaning toward picking the second option, but a small part of me wants to vote for the two beside it (higher and lower).

Yes, it's predictive. Who knows? We're not medical doctors (most of us, anyway), and even those of us who are have no insight into his specific medical situation.

Just, as they say, "taking the temperature of the room."

There is a theory (I can't cite exact source) that the crowd has an uncanny ability to get data things correct. If you ask a hundred people the height of a building the average will come close. This might be somewhat applicable. Of course 10 years from now we may know.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

12 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

There is a theory (I can't cite exact source) that the crowd has an uncanny ability to get data things correct. If you ask a hundred people the height of a building the average will come close. This might be somewhat applicable. Of course 10 years from now we may know.

The wisdom of crowds?

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I picked A, but I'm going to change it if I can.. he might make a cut maybe, just saying that he is done and will not make a cut is just too hard to believe.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I'm an optimist and picked 3.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

NPR had an episode about this - http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/08/07/430372183/episode-644-how-much-does-this-cow-weigh

Players play, tough players win!

10 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Interesting.  The "experts" actually did worse than the crowd.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I think it's somewhere between 1 and 2 but closer to 1 than 2.  So I voted for 1.

IMHO, he is well past medium to almost being done.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Thanks for finding it. Given that our crowd is somewhat tuned in to this subject, our guess (#2 ) is probably as good as anybody's.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Voted #1# as I don't thing we see Tiger back, if he get back to play not be anything like the Tiger of old. His eyes tell the disappointment in what was to be his comeback.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

For sheer stubbornness, Tiger is far and away the most mulish athlete.  He built himself into something he did not require.  His long lean body was the ideal golfer's platform.  When he torqued up with his new physique he could not endure the twisting forever.  He was told to change it. He had power. He just needed to dial it down to a level like Player and Trevino who told him how to make a  swing change that will not put the strain on his back. He did not listen.  He is now being told by a doctor to remain horizontal for 2 weeks.  He may come back.  But the Tiger that raised the level of golf, the multi major winner, the eternal grump who got under the skin of so many watchers who loved to hate.  He cannot be that Tiger again.  I would like him to rehab back with a new swing. But I fear that he wont./ cant / and it now leaves golf poorer for his demise and absence.

I didn't vote, because there was no option for my answer. I don't think he's going to win another major. I don't know if he will win another PGA tournament. But I think in ten years, Tiger is going to transform the Champions Tour. I hope I'm here for it. I think Tiger will make the Senior's Tour nearly equal to the PGA Tour, depending on who comes next. There isn't any player on the tour today that can overshadow Tiger's light. When he wins on the Senior Tour--I really despise "Champions" Tour, it sounds like a "made-up name"--it's going to give a real bump to the industry.

Did I repeat what anyone else has said? :-D

Wayne

Lower right :-Pdegrees2.jpg

I was between 1 and 2 and voted for option 2.

I think health wise he'll be able to eventually play a limited schedule but I'm not sure how much that would interest him. Just playing a few events and making a couple cuts, doesn't seem like there is much point to that. In the other thread I also predicted that he'd win this year so what the hell do I know.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 2583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!