IGNORED

Describe Your Bad Shot/Great Result Moment

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 1961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I watched Jordan Spieth thin a fairway wood today and he got what can only be called a great result. I won't spoil it for those who have dvr'd it.  Let's just say the result was a hell of a lot better than the strike. We have all had them.  Describe yours!

Last year I was playing a one day tournament.  A good drive left me a wedge from about 100 yards.  I bladed that sucker so badly it never got more than a few inches off the ground.  It rolled and bobbled 100 yards, squeezed between the two fronting bunkers, rolled across the green and stopped a foot from the hole.  If I knew how to spin my club, I would have added that flourish.

Made birdie and won a skin.  Great shots are always rewarded. ;-)

Edited by bkuehn1952
Typo

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I watched Jordan Spieth thin a fairway wood today and he got what can only be called a great result. I won't spoil it for those who have dvr'd it.  Let's just say the result was a hell of a lot better than the strike. We have all had them.  Describe yours!

Last year I was playing a one day tournament.  A good drive left me a wedge from about 100 yards.  I bladed that sucker so badly it never got more than a few inches off the ground.  It rolled and bobbled 100 yards, squeezed between the two fronting bunkers, rolled across the green and stopped a foot from the hole.  If I knew how to spin my club, I would have added that flourish.

Made birdie and won a skin.  Great shots are always rewarded. ;-)

Mine is almost exactly the same is yours.  It was my third on a Par 5, 100 or so yards from the middle-right of the fairway, bladed such that it rolled the entire way, and ended up 10-15 feet away for birdie.

What makes it memorable for me is that it was on Torrey Pines South the only time I've played a regular individual stroke play round on that course.

• Upvote 1

Club Championship, first round, 2013 or 2014.  I think 2013.  Hole 3, a par-3.  Pin was up front, I took a 6-iron with the idea of going for the middle.  I didn't fully understand the "dead center" idea yet, and was aiming for literally the middle of the green, despite a pin up front.

Anyway, I hit it thin.  It went a little right and short, got a good bounce (right on this green will kick left, which is nice), and it rolled to within a foot of the cup.  The group ahead, who had waved us up, were cheering.  Yes, I made the putt.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Hickam AFB par 4 2nd shot sliced badly to the right, hits a tree root and flies up in the air, and floats over to the green 5 ft from the pin = birdie

Funny to see spieth and his caddy laughing after the shot.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Heel bladed a 9 iron to about 1 FT. The ball went about 1/4th the normal height, but probably had a ton more spin on it. The ball came in low and just check right next to the hole. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Don't remember any in great detail, but I've thinned some shots that ended up being great results.

Once I skulled a shot out of a greenside bunker and it hit the flag and dropped straight down, 6" from the hole. Not sure if that counts because it was dumb luck that I hit the flag and it dropped like that, but it's still the best result I have ever had from a greenside bunker.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Man.... there have been so many bad shots with good results. Where do I start? There have been shots that have bounced off of trees and onto the green or fairway, worm burner approach shots that rolled to within a few feet of the pin, bladed chips that would have screamed through green had it not been for the pin getting in the way.

The latest bad shot/good result came a month or so back. I hit a short iron approach that went WAY left into the trees. I dropped and hit my provisional pretty close and I'm thinking at least I'll get a bogey out of it (it's right next to the flag in the picture). As I'm walking up to the green, I see another ball lying there and sure enough, it's my original ball.

For the life of me, I don't know 1) how it bounced so far back into play, and 2) how I didn't notice a golf ball roll across right in front of me.

IMG_0636.jpg

Jon

My own was probably my albatross. I was 170yds out and skulled my 7 iron, it hit the front of the green and rolled the 70ft or so to the back and it dropped for a 2 on the par 5. 

But since that was still somewhat straight, my buddies was good too. He duck hooked his 2nd shot on a par 4 into the trees 20yds left of the green. We never saw the bounce or kick out... it was a foot away from the hole. Idk how it happened.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Mine was a number of years ago. We had a very hot, dry summer and our league course was dried out with hard pan fairways. 380 yard par 4. I skulled my driver off the tee! The ball never got more that 5 feet off the ground and had to roll 150 yards.  When I got to it, it was 80 yards from the center of the green, a 300 yard drive.

After that, I've called shots like that, "Bowling For Dollars!":banana:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Two or three years ago I was playing a local course. The final hole was a par 5 with water in front. The fairway went up the left side of the water and attached to the green on the left. Next to that are hills that wrap around the green and the left side of the fairway. I was about 175 out hitting my third shot (duffed a three wood prior). I pushed a stinger left but it rode the hills down on the green within four inches. Tapped in for birdie.

First time I birdied that hole.

19 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

A good drive left me a wedge from about 100 yards.  I bladed that sucker so badly it never got more than a few inches off the ground.  It rolled and bobbled 100 yards, squeezed between the two fronting bunkers, rolled across the green and stopped a foot from the hole.

Not to be a copycat, I do this too. I've smoothed out my swing the past year or so, but I'm still a bit iffy on ball striking.

Probably once a round, I'll hit an approach shot thin and hot, and run it the last 50 yards up onto the green. I sometimes do this in scrambles, and end up with my grounder being the shot that sets up our birdie putt.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Short par 4 hole.  Completely miss-hit my driver, and the ball ended up embarrassingly close to the green of a parallel hole (about 110 yards from the tee).  Hit my 5 wood ~210 yards onto the green.  Made the 10 ft putt for birdie.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Out of a bunker to a green sloping away.  Went in, and stayed, on the fly.  Had it not done so I'd have been playing the next shot from the swale behind the green and 4 would have been a good score.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Mine, a decade or so ago, was a 8i over over tall pine tree, that stopped 20 feet short of the hole. 

I hit a slice off the tee that left me on the outside of the fairway, behind a pine tree. There were other trees/bushes in the way, which prevented me from going under the tree, to get to the green. The other trees were much taller. 

I had two choices. Punch out backwards towards the fair way. This would have been the correct choice. My 2nd choice was to open my club head up a little, and hit another serious slice over the tree.  I chose #2, throwing caution to the wind. I figured what heck. 

I pulled the shot off, with the ball barely clearing the tree, while slicing towards the green. The ball landed on the apron, stopping just barely on the green. 

I was left with 20 ft putt, which I missed, but made the follow up 5 footer for par. 

Back to back slices for par will always be one of my personal golf highlights. 

The best recovery I ever saw in person was a guy putting his first ball in the water on a par three. Then holing out his second shot from the same place for par. Thought that was pretty cool to see. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I hit a five iron on a par three that was about 170 yards.  My right foot slipped out from beneath me a'la Padraig Harrington, and I caught it thin.  The ball hits short of the green in a swale and ran up onto the front edge. 

Hole in one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

A lot of each really. But recently I had a real nice one: I was 137yds from the pin on a par four, second shot. A tree was perfectly blocking my trajectory and I was just off the fairway to the left with the pin being right center of the green. It's a quite steep uphill so I worried if I tried to punch it under it wouldn't get far and almost go dead into the up slope. I'm left handed so going to the right of the tree hoping to cut or fade was risky because right of the green is all water and a swampy forest all down the right side to boot. I decided to play a 9i back in my stance and go just under the tree branches and hope to advance it as much as possible. Lo and behold I struck it perfectly and not only did it just miss the low branches, it then began to rise with a nice draw....drifted in...actually hit the pin solidly and kicked off about 9' left of the pin. I made the birdie putt! 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, bwdial said:

I hit a five iron on a par three that was about 170 yards.  My right foot slipped out from beneath me a'la Padraig Harrington, and I caught it thin.  The ball hits short of the green in a swale and ran up onto the front edge. 

Hole in one.

That's what we are talk in' about!

Brian Kuehn

Last year, playing with a group I was paired with.   Hole #3 par 5, I hit a decent drive and a lay up in front of the pond which left  about 85 yard to the pin.   I bladed a shot which skipped three times across the water and rolled to about 8 feet.    You just sorta shrug your shoulders and say meh.... (and quietly thank the golf gods for lady luck)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!