IGNORED

2017 Newport Cup Matches at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas

Fun fact: my golf bag was 1 pound lighter for my return trip then it was on the way there. It was 50.5 pounds on the way there, .5 pounds below overweight, and 49.5 on the way back. I blame the rinsed sleeve of balls and the snacks I ate during the rounds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Fun fact: my golf bag was 1 pound lighter for my return trip then it was on the way there. It was 50.5 pounds on the way there, .5 pounds below overweight, and 49.5 on the way back. I blame the rinsed sleeve of balls and the snacks I ate during the rounds.

I didn’t even look to see the weight of mine, I’m just happy I woke up and got to my gate a few minutes before boarding. :)

• Upvote 1

Gentlemen to the end, Red Teammates, @Golfingdad and @Pretzel gave the old Blue guy a ride to Raleigh-Durham Airport this morning.  Just chillin' now until the flight is ready to board.

The Newport Cup  was a great experience with a wonderful group of people.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

On 10/21/2017 at 7:22 AM, Club Rat said:

The West Coast looks really sharp today in their @PingTour apparel with custom #NewportCup logo #playyourbest

Many thanks to @RandallT for the on-course pics and leaderboard updates...  :beer:

Love the Match Ups for the singles today. Although as much as I like my buddy @DaveP043 I have to root for @mchepp and the rest of the West Coast.

:beer: to all the Newport players in this great event and thanks to all the Sponsors....

@DaveP043 and I once again had a battle that ended in exactly the way it did 2 years ago in Phoenix. I won the front and he won the back for a half. Our matches are always great. In the 3 matches we played he won out 5.5 to 3.5 but all were very close. 

• Like 1

Michael

At the Raleigh airport now, waiting for my delayed flight. Big thanks to @iacas and @mvmac for putting this together! And thanks to @RandallT for coming up and scoring (and witnessing my chip in eagle!). 

It was great meeting everybody and the competition was great fun. Losing by a point just makes me more motivated for next time. 

Shout out to both @cipher and @NCGolfer for putting up with me for 3 and 4 rounds, respectively. They were both great fun to play with. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

At the Raleigh airport now, waiting for my delayed flight

So you'll be writing up the big Pinehurst #2 post while you wait, right? I'm looking forwards to seeing all the pictures.

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

So you'll be writing up the big Pinehurst #2 post while you wait, right? I'm looking forwards to seeing all the pictures.

If I had a keyboard, I would. I don't feel like typing up a couple hundred words on my phone. 

-- Daniel

19 hours ago, DeadMan said:

....(and witnessing my chip in eagle!).

I was bummed because I BARELY missed both yours and Phil's eagles. For his, I was just on my way to to the 2nd tee, since I just took photos of your group in the fairway. I was a bit above your green, but looking the opposite direction. 

For yours, the lighting was poor as I was looking back up the toward the green, so I chose not to take a photo. In fact I went and got a refill of water at the station on #16 tee when I heard the roar. So that's 2 eagles I was near, but didn't see. Were there any other eagles (other than those two) at Newport Cup 2017? 

If it's any consolation, I think this video below shows the very place you got your eagle so viewers can imagine it. Dave K's approach is shown here, and Nate is at the bottom watching for where it lands. I doubt Dave K could even see the hole from there. As I recall, Dave K hit a beautiful approach to 10ft or something.

Your 2nd shot is already over in the area where you start to see Nate (just right side of the green, but pin high, right?). Pin was front left. I remember all of us guessing how long of a chip that was as you were walking off the green. I should've used the new app I installed that is pretty cool to get an exact measurement! 

Edited by RandallT
Changed Kyle to nate. Duh
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

12 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Jim, how do you hit your driver so straight, every single time and when do I get to see the dance moves again? That has to be part of your next v-log.

I just set my Driver face to straight. ;-)

As far as the dance moves, I was just tryin to kill some time as we were waiting on the tee, heard the music coming from 15 and went for it. I still got some Jersey in me. :banana:

It was awesome playing with you for two days. Your play was exactly as I expected from someone who plays tournament golf every weekend. Your up and down from behind 15 green at Talamore was a thing of beauty.

You might want to speed up your play some... you take waaay too much time to hit the ball...LOL! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

On 10/22/2017 at 2:22 AM, Pretzel said:

My bag was only 35lbs... I didn't stack much in there though besides the clubs and shoes.  

1 hour ago, coachjimsc said:

You might want to speed up your play some... you take waaay too much time to hit the ball...LOL! 

This for sure! I mean, the whole 3sec to step up and hit a shot is way too long! :-P

15 hours ago, RandallT said:

I was bummed because I BARELY missed both yours and Phil's eagles. For his, I was just on my way to to the 2nd tee, since I just took photos of your group in the fairway. I was a bit above your green, but looking the opposite direction. 

It was funny, I think you were just arriving at the 2nd tee when it hit the stick and dropped.  Thanks for taking the time to take photos and make the leader boards @RandallT! It was great having you there!

Definitely a big thanks to @iacas and @mvmac for organizing this great trip! A shout out to the sponsors for the swag, they are all great! I will definitely be using all of the items!

@NCGolfer, I really enjoyed our four-ball match at Talamore.  You had some great scrambling that day that kept me working hard.

@bkuehn1952, thanks for putting up with me in singles.  I went crazy tee to green and that really doesn't happen often.  I really had fun playing with you!

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 10/22/2017 at 5:22 AM, Pretzel said:

Tyler, the only way my bag weighs that much, is if Alina (my almost 4 year old), puts her toys/rock "presents" in my garment pocket. Usually my golf bag is around 35 pounds fully loaded.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Man you guys got to play some good golf-Got some good swag-And look like you all enjoyed each others company.

@mvmac and @iacas-What did you do the whole time? Play behind them? How much work did it take to do this. I run a few monthly things and THOSE take a heck of a lot of work.- Can not imagine this.

Matches would have been tied without the challenge balls?-Does everyone think having them was the right idea? What do you do in a tie?

Glad you had fun near my neck of the woods.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Looks like everyone had a great time, go blue team! 

After seeing all the pictures from the course, I think my buddy and I are going to plan a long weekend trip down there in December and golf at both Talamore and Midsouth.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

8 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Matches would have been tied without the challenge balls?-Does everyone think having them was the right idea?

I personally liked having them. It added an element of strategy and mind games into the single matches. It also meant that if you were getting destroyed in your match, you still needed to focus because you could salvage a point on the challenge ball. All but one of the challenge balls were thrown on 17 and 18, too. But I did win 2 points on the challenge balls, so I might be biased.

-- Daniel

This thread has been quite the enjoyable read!

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here