iacas

What is Your Punch-Out Club?

Punch Shot Club  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you use when you have to punch out from the trees (and keep the ball under the low branches)?

• Driver
    • Fairway Wood
    • Hybrid
    • 4I or 5I
    • 6I or 7I
    • 8I or 9I

98 posts / 9882 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

One answer? Depends on how far the trees are, how low I have to stay and how far I am trying to hit. I've used everything from a closed hard 3-iron to a partial swing 7-iron.

Edited by Midpack

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to use my hybrid for punch-out shots, but in the last few years I've started using my 5-iron almost exclusively. It's easier to keep low than the 6-iron and 7-iron, which are my "whack the ball up that-a-way" clubs if I need to do something like escape from deep rough or lay up from a fairway bunker.

They say that in the right hands, any club can get a  golfer out of trouble. That's why  voted fairway wood. Apparently my 7W, and hands work quite well together. It's my go to club. Lots of confidence when using it.

For under tree limb shots, I just choke down a little, and play the ball back a little in my stance. All that's left is an easy 1/2 or 3/4 swing. 

The only problem I sometimes have is not clearing that pesky pine cone field when playing around pine trees. 

Based on the courses that I play, I'm in a load of trouble when I resort to a punch. I mean literally skimming the surface, so I go 3I. Usually, I choke down on it, use no more than a half swing and try to catch the ball clean.

Occasionally it makes for an exciting shot if the ground is hard and the ball wants to bounce and roll a bit.

Typically, I'll punch out with a 7i played well back in my stance. Almost always goes way farther than intended. 

really depends on whats in front of me.   I can't really punch anything less lofted than a 6i.  but, I have much more control punching an 8i, as long as that will stay under what ever is in front of me.   

For low hanging branches, 5i played off the back heel. 

Thankfully these days I don't have to punch out very often. When I started playing golf, oh my... every other hole was a punch out. I can't believe I didn't quit the game.  

I voted 6i. It just seems like I get a more consistent strike with good distance while keeping it lower. I used to go with an 8i quite often but noticed that I was trying too hard to deloft it, so I decided to go with the 6i.

Edited by TN94z

I said 6 iron.  It's the least lofted iron in my bag, and I can usually keep the ball flight below 3 feet if I choke up, play it back in my stance and hood the club.  Just take a little short stroke and whack it.  I'm just talking about punching out 40 or 50 yards with that club. 

Edited by Marty2019

5-iron for me.  I punched a 3H yesterday, but that wasn't really a "punch out" so much as "there's a tree overhanging my path to the green, but the path is otherwise unobstructed, so I'm going to advance the ball as much as I can in that direction" and I ended up near-GIR in light rough.

@Golfingdad's video a few months ago got me picturing and practicing it well and now I'm comfortable hitting the shot.

2 hours ago, Patch said:

They say that in the right hands, any club can get a  golfer out of trouble. That's why  voted fairway wood. Apparently my 7W, and hands work quite well together. It's my go to club. Lots of confidence when using it.

For under tree limb shots, I just choke down a little, and play the ball back a little in my stance. All that's left is an easy 1/2 or 3/4 swing. 

The only problem I sometimes have is not clearing that pesky pine cone field when playing around pine trees. 

I used to use FW 7 or 5 when I still had them, now club of choice is 4H. Practically a "tap out", very little effort in that as long as you don't swing too hard, it will stay low enough and roll out once clear. If path is obstructed too low, then the lowest loft iron I have which currently is a 4 iron.

I use my 4 iron more often than any other club for this situation.  That said... it'll vary depending upon the lie.  If it's really sitting down in something, I'll deloft a 7 iron.  A typical situation, though... it'll usually be a 4 iron. 

CY

I use a 5w as long as I'm not worried about distance, IE hitting too far. It seems to get a lot of topspin roll and stays mostly straight. If I'm just trying to lateral it out I hood my 9I over with my hands way in front. I feel like I have more control that way.

@iacas

I see that you don't have my club listed... Should add an "other" option. (Some people still carry 2 and 3 irons you know, not me). 

It depends. If I have an Erik sort of situation. 7i... If I have limbs really low (like the tree on the left of the 6th) putter.... Actually I tend to use putter a lot. At Newman.