IGNORED

PGA Tour's New Slogan: Live Under Par

iacas
Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Live Under Par  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the PGA Tour's new slogan: "Live Under Par"?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like the new slogan more than the old: "These Guys are Good"?

• I like "Live Under Par" more.
    • I like "These Guys are Good" more.
    • I like them equally as much.

• Administrator

https://www.pgatour.com/company/2018/10/pga-tour-introduces-new-advertising-campaign-live-under-par.html

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Florida – For the first time in more than 20 years, the PGA TOUR is launching a new advertising campaign designed to capture and celebrate the energy and spirit of today’s TOUR. Titled “Live Under Par,” the campaign plays on golf’s unique scoring language to portray the relentless pursuit of excellence by TOUR players, both competitively and in how they embrace the values of the game like sportsmanship and respect, as well as the PGA TOUR’s ingrained mission of giving back.

What do you think?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At first I thought "live" was the  "laɪv" pronunciation like "Live TV" so the phrase didnt make sense. Once I realized it was "lɪv" pronunciation it made sense and I like it.

My initial impressions are that I like it equally to "these guys are good" 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I am going hold my main comment on this program until I see it in action. On the surface, with the way they are spinning it, it sounds like a good idea. I still like "These Guys Are Good" promotion. 

Me personally, I think there are quite a few PGA pros who would just as soon play their weekly tournaments on empty courses, with no spectators. I say this from conversations I over heard, back when I participated inside the ropes at the Vegas stop some years ago. 

I do have one question. Perhaps I missed it, but is it "Live" as in alive, or living?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think the slogan is good, although like @klineka I first read it with a long i.

I think the trailer is terrible. The editing seemed really immature, as if someone's 13 year old kid did it, and the excessive use of emojis was really obnoxious.

1 minute ago, Patch said:

Perhaps I missed it, but is it "Live" as in alive, or living?

Live as in living.

They're saying that you should live your life "under par."

Three people confused over the pronunciation means, to my not-a-marketing-person's mind, that it's not a good slogan.

Edited by krupa
  • Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

14 minutes ago, krupa said:

I think the slogan is good, although like @klineka I first read it with a long i.

I think the trailer is terrible. The editing seemed really immature, as if someone's 13 year old kid did it, and the excessive use of emojis was really obnoxious.

Live as in living.

They're saying that you should live your life "under par."

Three people confused over the pronunciation means, to my not-a-marketing-person's mind, that it's not a good slogan.

Agreed not the best slogan. Its not "bad", I just don't think its very good either. I really liked the "these guys are good" slogan...because man its true...

• Administrator

I really dislike it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As a marketing slogan, its "fine".  I'm just not a slogan kind of guy, so I'll pretty much ignore it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Don't like it. "These guys are good" was great, though. Where do you go from there?

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I like the "these guys are good" much better.  The "live under par" doesn't really highlight just how good these guys really are.  Besides everyone who follows PGA and LPGA golf understands that they must "live under par" to be successful and win. 

As Lee Trevino succinctly puts it; "two things that don't last long are dogs that chase cars and pros who shoot par".

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Not a fan at all. I don't think the slogan makes sense and I don't like the editing, music or use of emojis/Twitter in the video. It's probably to aim at younger generations.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I don't have a strong opinion on it, which probably means it didn't hit home like they thought it would. I would grade it out as a C. Not terrible, but not great.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

God-awful slogan. I spent a good hour yesterday thinking that it was "live" as in live TV. That's not a good thing for a slogan. It's a decent life-ethos, but not a slogan. I get what they're going for, but it's pretty lame. I was also cringing at the whole rollout on social media. Canned tweets from a bunch of pros. It reeks of paying a marketing company a couple of million to come up with a compromise that nobody likes.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

What are you going to do, marketing needs to justify its fees. Maybe because pervasive video and streaming the live part. I do see marketing's point of catchphrases going stale. It does make me think of SNL though.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

What are you going to do, marketing needs to justify its fees. Maybe because pervasive video and streaming the live part. I do see marketing's point of catchphrases going stale. It does make me think of SNL though.

Wrong "live" Steven.

It's the "Living Under Par" variant.

even the commercial could have ended with the old Tag line and it would have been better

"These Guys are Good" was catchy and simple and appealing

"Live Under Par" comes across plastic and bit 'constructed' IYKWIM - someone's trying to hard to fit in a golf term and failed big time - especially if the idea is to attract/convert non-golfers.

IMO - it's a HUGE step down

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Funny, I wonder how much money in terms of man-hours, decision matrices, and back and forths at the executive level it took to come up with something that a child could tell you is just kinda weird. "These guys are good" is short sweet and to the point.  This tries to pack too much philosophy into a tagline.  I don't think marketing understands "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

As for the emojis, come on how else are under-30s like myself going to be able to understand the message?  Any post on this forum that doesn't use one is basically Cantonese to me...*sarcasm*

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I don't hate it, but I do like "These guys are good" better. That little promotional spot is just terrible though, what that all about? :hmm:

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!