IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, DrMJG said:

"... over who has the longest driver" FIFY. These types of debates usually just take me laugh.  😎 They also do nothing to help improve or gold game here!

Goshdarn auto correct ""our golf game here"

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)
7 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

On the list of Things That Annoy Me, "lying about driver distance" is somewhere around 22,313.  "People ranting on the internet about people lying about driver distance" is at 22,312.  😂

This is golden.  Out of curiosity though, what’s #19,412?

OP, I average 107-108mph, ~260ish, and I’m a 44 year old chubby out of shape dude.

Or am I? 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

OP, I average 107-108mph, ~260ish, and I’m a 44 year old chubby out of shape dude.

Or am I? 😉

LMAO, nah, you’re probably just another dirty damn liar like the rest of us! 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Or am I? 😉

8 inches. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

8 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Goshdarn auto correct ""our golf game here"

People blaming auto-correct for bad typing piss me off 😝

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

On the list of Things That Annoy Me, "lying about driver distance" is somewhere around 22,313.  "People ranting on the internet about people lying about driver distance" is at 22,312.  😂

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Or am I? 😉

Let me guess! 

#19,412 - Shaft labels peeling off. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah, this basically doesn't matter - a long drive is nice to see and helpful (like many other shots, such as a lob shot) , but my score is what matters. And what others on the internet are doing matters not a jot. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Yeah, this basically doesn't matter

I get the general tone that score is ultimately what matters… but distance plays a pretty big role in determining your score.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I get the general tone that score is ultimately what matters… but distance plays a pretty big role in determining your score.

Yea, but distance is a product of skill and speed. With both it's a significant advantage on the game, but speed without skill plays a pretty big role in determining score for the wrong reasons.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea, but distance is a product of skill and speed. With both it's a significant advantage on the game, but speed without skill plays a pretty big role in determining score for the wrong reasons.

Made wonder how Jamie Sadlowski is doing. I don't know if he's injured or personal problems, the long hitter has 600 CAD in winnings on the Canadian Tour this year.

https://www.pgatour.com/canada/en_us/players/player.35475.jamie-sadlowski.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Or am I? 😉

You're not THAT out of shape.  

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

In my view, its bragging on the internet about driving it a long ways that doesn't matter.  From what I read, I'd guess that there are more people exaggerating their driving distance than there are people who exaggerate their overall scoring ability.  Another completely un-scientific generalization,  when they actually list a handicap in a profile, most "distance braggarts" tend to have handicaps north of 10, and sometimes north of 20.  The lower-handicap guys tend not to brag about distance..  That's what I was trying to get at, I'd be happy to play against someone who brags about driving distance online, most times I'll get the upper hand.  That doesn't mean I want to go against @saevel25 or @Pretzel, they really CAN hit it a long ways, and are good players too.  

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Made wonder how Jamie Sadlowski is doing. I don't know if he's injured or personal problems, the long hitter has 600 CAD in winnings on the Canadian Tour this year.

https://www.pgatour.com/canada/en_us/players/player.35475.jamie-sadlowski.html

Small sample size much?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can say this:

I started golfing last year and at times seemed a bit anxious (not quite nervous) about playing with other golfers. Many times I was a bit self-conscious about my game because I couldn't hit the same distances they claimed they could.

I soon found out that *MOST* people I have golfed with either (A) are lying -or- (B) have no real idea how far they carry each club.

I've gotten used to it. It's the same people that believe every bit of marketing fluff from Taylormade, Titleist et. al.

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

About 15 years ago my daughters boyfriend claimed he could drive the ball 300 yards.  I did not believe him.

Well we went golfing and lo and behold he crushed the ball!  Even hit his 9 iron about 180 yards.  Trouble is he didn't do this with any regularity and his overall game was lacking in many ways. He shot in the 100's.

I sort of understand this idea. It bugs me that people have so little understanding about how freaking far 300 yards is and how hard it is to hit it that far. I've played with a couple of people who legitimately get the ball out there 300+, and it's mind boggling. I'm a long-ish hitter, and I'm at probably 270 off the tee as a median - I'll touch 300 once every 3 rounds or so. Even at altitude, hitting the ball 300 yards is freaking hard!

Now, I only really eye-roll when I hear someone talking about how they hit the ball 300 yards.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Some simpletons all they do is talk about how far they hit it, which doesn't bother me too much, except for I find this type of conversation kind of dull. However, I generally do believe people when they say they hit it "300 yards".. because everyone gets lucky once in a while and even I've hit some incredible shots nobody who wasn't there would believe. Doesn't mean I can duplicate it on a regular basis.

Edited by Kalnoky

Cool, we haven't had a 'pet peeve' post in a long time.

Normally I'm pretty honest about my game, but if it BUGS you, well, I carry about 420 on typical drive, so I tend to only carry 8i and lower in my bag for accuracy.  Also, it gets tiring having to wait for the green to clear before I tee off on every single hole....

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!