IGNORED

Golf, Without Tiger or Phil, Is in a Good Place - Agree or Disagree?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Without Tiger and Phil, Golf Is Still in a Good Place?

• Agree
    • Disagree

• Administrator

Do you agree or disagree?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are so many great players now, it's really entertaining. Tiger still gets as much or more media attention than any of the other players, even when he's not playing. I find that annoying.

Times change and players come and go, so golf will still be in a good place, but I do hope that Tiger's and Phil's form does return. They are both great to watch when they are bullying the field!

Matt

I think it's in a good place, competition-wise. There are a lot of good golfers out there, and it looks like Rory could be the next all-time great. I really enjoy watching the PGA tour right now. A lot of exciting finishes.

But, I don't think it's in a good place, business-wise. There isn't a lot of true star power out there at this moment outside of Rory. Tiger and Phil's careers are clearly waning, and they are the big stars still. While we might get excited over Reed and Spieth, I don't think they are (yet) household names like Phil and Tiger are. And I think you can see this with the ratings the PGA Tour has had, even though the competition has been great this year.

So, I guess the answer is that it depends?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Absolutely agree.  Seems to me that the same questions were being asked as Arnie and Jack were fading.  Such will always be the case.

Watching the Tour so far this year, seeing the quality of play, and witnessing the drama and playoff heroics really under-scores that for me.  Am I ready for Phil and Tiger to fade into the sunset?  Hell no!  But eventually they will, and I won't be crying in beer when it happens.  I'll be watching a 21 year-old drain a 30 foot putt on the 3d hole of a 3-man playoff to win his second tournament, just like yesterday.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Times change and players come and go, so golf will still be in a good place, but I do hope that Tiger's and Phil's form does return. They are both great to watch when they are bullying the field!

I agree.  It is probably just coming back to reality a bit on the business side, but the game is fine.  The business side will adapt.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I think professional golf is in a good place, I would say it is better than it was 5 years ago. Bubba is the new Phil, Rory is the new Tiger, and there is a greater depth of challengers for those top spots. There have been so many great tournament finishes so far this year I've been tuning in on Sundays nearly every week.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Agree. Even if Tiger or Phil themselves don't return to form (and I think they both will), their influence has helped to create the excitement we're witnessing today.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think the game is just fine with out Woods, or Mickelson. Another person will eventually take their places, and remind us again, of all the good, and bad things in pro game.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

In a good place? Yes, for sure.

Could be in a better place if Tiger and Phil were part of the picture though.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It'd be in a better place with Tiger and Phil also competing with these younger upstarts. I think it's hard to argue against that. But there's no lack of drama and good competition right now. It would just be even better if the two legends were more competitive. On a weekly basis, though, this year, the Tour has been outstanding.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

i would only say that its in an "ok" place.  i dont think its good.  think of what it would be if tiger doesnt play any majors this year?  the game needs Rors to go bananas.

Colin P.

I think that golf is in a good place right now. It's not in as good of a place as it was when Tiger was at his peak, but by no means is it bad. With young players like Spieth, McIlroy, and Reed, there is going to be no shortage of great players for a long time.

Also, for the few people who have said that it isn't in a good place, why? Obviously there are people who voted that way... share your opinion.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

From a corporate sponsorship perspective it seems like that's going okay. Big corporate in general is doing well and still think it's good value proposition to get their name in PGA tournaments. Also the game is more international. So that helps stabilize rapid drops in viewership were say big name stars were to lose popularity or just drop out of the tour. It's the grassroots perspective I'm not so sure about and that has more to do with the economy. Is depth of the field another way to generate eyeballs rather than to hang it all on one guy? I dunno. Unrelated but I'm psyched for possible head to head combos in the LPGA. It would be great to see some of the top names battle against each other every weekend. Like Wie vs Ko.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Do you agree or disagree?

Golf as a game I play is just fine.  The level of golf on at the professional level is just fine.

The popularity of professional golf, however, is declining and will probably continue to decline.  Just look at the length of the ValSpar thread here, among the fanatics.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

After yesterday's tournament finish, I absolutely agree. I am loving these kids.

Would love to see Tiger flourish again and Phil get his US Open, but I am thankful for services received. Time to move on. Waiting hurts.

Vishal S.

Golf (and all sports) are always moving on to the next young faces - so yeah it is in a good place.

Rory, Bubba & Jordan, currently, seem like the faces of the game; with lots of push from a whole contingent of others (Rickie, Moore, Reed, etc).

Sure there will always be a brief moment when a star from the past has a shining moment (Jack in 86, Ben in 95, etc) and although they are memorable, they are and will be just a glimpse at the past.

As they cannot hold off the future.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 3313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!