IGNORED

Is Anyone Else Playing Awful Golf?

Mr Puddle
Note: This thread is 1791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I often read through the threads, only to be more depressed about golf than I already am. It appears that everyone on here is playing great golf, and making amazing leaps and bound. I, on the other hand haven't played to handicap since last September, and most days don't get anywhere near it. I now find myself hitting between 20/24 pts when playing Stableford. Of course, when I play a comp, I just loose 0.1, which means it may take me years to get to a handicap that befits me. Last summer I was hitting handicap every other game, and many people thought I was a lot better than my 16. 

I suspect the first thing people will say is "take a lesson" which is just about the last thing I want to do. A pro will rip me apart, and I know my game will get even worse than it is at present, in which case there is a genuine chance I will just stop playing all together. So the question is, am I on my own, or are you all just to good to be true ?

Edited by Mr Puddle

- Simon Hornsby

12 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I suspect the first thing people will say is "take a lesson" which is just about the last thing I want to do. A pro will rip me apart, and I know my game will get even worse than it is at present, in which case there is a genuine chance I will just stop playing all together. So the question is, am I on my own, or are you all just to good to be true ?

What the (redacted) kind of lessons have you been taking where a pro rips you apart?  I started with my current instructor (online, I will be happy to give you his group's contact information) when I was a little north of 19 handicap and he gave me small things to work on that made minor changes to my swing.  Over the course of these lessons, I dropped as low as a 12.2 and won a half dozen club tournaments, including our big match play event one year.

For that matter, why not try a "My swing" thread here -- see if the changes the good players (including the handful of pros and assorted plus handicaps who frequent this site) suggest to you make sense?  You can see the difference for me in the link in my signature -- look at the first video, then the feedback, then the next ones.  The lessons I ended up taking were similar in style -- make this minor change, try this drill, etc.  

Then again, there are those who will argue that everyone plays bad golf, no one is good at it, and the likes of Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson just suck at golf a lot less than the rest of us do. ;-)  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

I suspect the first thing people will say is "take a lesson" which is just about the last thing I want to do. A pro will rip me apart, and I know my game will get even worse than it is at present, in which case there is a genuine chance I will just stop playing all together.

A lesson or a few lessons is probably the best thing for you. One step back, two steps forward kind of thing. Sure you might not improve immediately, but if you are with a good instructor and stick with it along with practicing your priority piece properly, you will get better.

Any good instructor will not rip you apart, they will likely give you 1-2 main pieces to work on, and you work on those until they don't need worked on anymore. Rinse and repeat. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I think sometime, consistent golf, and great golf get confused with each other. 

Myself, I tend to play consistent golf. Low 80s with no 6s is my normal game. Only on the few occassions that I break 80, is when I played great golf. 

If I were the OP in this thread, and not wanting lessons, I would identify the weaker parts of my game. Then, work/practice in those areas. Find any info I could about those problem areas. Get an understanding why those problem areas exist. Understanding "why" will make the self fix easier. At the same time, I would not neglect my short game. 

As for some golfers being "to good to be true" that is a real possibility. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

So the question is, am I on my own, or are you all just to good to be true ? 

I was out yesterday and played one of the worst rounds I've played since I started.  Following several recent lessons.

I just haven't had time to practice those recommended changes.  So, I'm stuck between the was I used to do and the way the pro recommended.....  Messed me all up.  Not the Pro's fault........

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

I just went through a horrible phase of my golfing life bud. Late last year (Octoberish?) my handicap was tied for the lowest I had been (or really close cant remember now) and all of a sudden I was shanking nearly EVERY single shot. I tried everything I could think of. I was seeing differentials like in the 40s and 50s lol. I didn't break 100 for months...MONTHS! Just a few months prior I almost broke 90 at one of the hardest public tracks in Houston and all of a sudden its like I cant play. Literally got beat my a friend who had played less than 10 rounds his whole life. Straight up, no strokes given. Man was that embarrassing. After contemplating    that golf wasn't my sport...I finally decided to do what I am gonna suggest to you...

Take the lesson. 

I researched and found a great instructor in my area (not just highly touted, but personally recommended by some good golfers I know that use him) and wow it made a difference. I understand the fear of having a pro start you over, but for the most part its unrealistic if you research and make a good selection. A good pro will recommend priority pieces and maybe give you some feels on how to get into better positions for those pieces of your swing. 

Since my lesson, my handicap has started to fall again, I broke 90 once, scared 90 a few times, and my handicap for only those rounds since my lesson has me trending to the best golf I have ever played (which isn't good to some but its the best I have done lol)

Research, and then take the lesson. Good luck!!

Welp, let's see. I'm hurting, I don't know why (can't self diagnose) and I don't want to see a doctor.

I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Like 1

Vishal S.

Mr. Puddle, I would think most on here have been, or, are where you are.  I am not good enough to give you technical swing info or instruction, but can only share what I have learned over the years.  Most people want to get started with the driver and learn to hit that.  I have taken a few lessons, but the two that helped me the most were putting and chipping....

Also, I have learned to "manage" my round of golf and play more sensible.  I accept the fact that I cannot hit the perfect shot or make that 1 out of a 100 shot from the trees.  My goal is to just keep the ball in a position that on the next shot I have an opportunity to advance the ball to the green.

My objective over the past few years has been consistency and giving myself a chance.  My focus from the tee box is to just get it on the green.  A bad first shot can be overcome by a smart second shot.  Do whatever you can to avoid 7's or 8's on a hole.  

Don't give up.  Keep at it. 

• Like 2

I certainly know what you're going through as my Game can go from Brilliant to Woeful from front 9 to Back 9 >>

But thanks to buying a driving net and my son videoing many swings clearly to get a better understanding of swing issues ... which I'm working on keeping my trailing elbow in closer to body engaging more shoulder turn ...as I have issues around getting my swing too upright hurting my swing contact esp with long clubs as the game progresses over 2hrs etc and I get lazy ... 

I recommend trying the same.   

Golf is really hard and even the pros are constantly working on keeping their swing in check(just watch them pre-round and even out on the course)

Go Foxy Go

8 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

Sorry you're not having fun. You can see my handicap so you can also see you're a ton better than I am but, you know what? My worst day golfing is soooo much better than the best day I ever had working! I'll keep chipping away at my handicap while thinking of those poor slobs back in the office... Haw Haw Haw!

• Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to Is Anyone Else Playing Awful Golf?
17 minutes ago, Zippo said:

My worst day golfing is soooo much better than the best day I ever had working!

I honestly wish I felt like this. My worst day of golf, which I've had many of (lol) is not enjoyable for me by any means. I've said this before, I can enjoy the outdoors, look at lakes, ponds, wildlife, walk and breathe the nice air in a multitude of ways in just as many places. That's not why I tee it up. When I play it's a test of all the hours and thousands of balls I've hit to improve my game. When I fail miserably there is no joy at all. Now of course my bad days probably exceed those of many in that I am the shank master, king of the hill, head and shoulders above all else. Once the virus sets in, it's pure violence and desecration to all modern geometry and physics. I lose balls and my hands are as bruised as my ego. I'm sticky hot and tired. And I paid for it. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I can play as bad as it is possible to play.  Does that bother me?  Yes...it does.  But I don't care.  I am not as bad as I have been...that's negative thinking.  I am much better than I actually am.  If that doesn't make sense...you don't know the game.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I've been playing some incredibly consistent golf of late, just a shame its consistently crap :-D

I'm not able to get out that much at the moment so as soon as it clicks i end up not playing for a while and losing it. Take last weekend. I hadn't been out for 3 weeks so took my son to the range.

No word of a lie i was thinning 9 iron up to my favourite 4 hybrid. I know what i was doing wrong and have sorted it (fingers crossed) but i was so annoyed. On the plus side i was able to hit consistent draw's with the driver for the first time ever and my putting, chipping and pitching is s*it hot at the moment.

Have to say thanks to the flared feet topic on here (thanks @mvmac) and good old Jack's "Golf My Way" for sorting me (and my dodgy knees) out.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

7 hours ago, Zippo said:

My worst day golfing is soooo much better than the best day I ever had working!

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)
17 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Mr. Puddle, I want to help you here with some ugly truth.

I suck.

Thank God for that, I am not on my own. Played today and wasn't as bad as I have been, only 4 shots over my handicap (and the greens are rubbish at the moment). I played a three ball, and one guy was 22 over net, and the other was 30 over net up to the 15th, and then picked up. Between them they made me look like a pro !!

Edited by Mr Puddle

- Simon Hornsby

Note: This thread is 1791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!