IGNORED

Ever Played Foursomes (Alternate Shot)?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Foursomes  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever played foursomes (alternate shot)?

• No.
    • Yes, once or twice.
    • Yes, a few times.
    • Yes, many times.

• Administrator

I've played it several times. Mixed formats, with guys, in a three-club challenge… etc.

Newport Cup contestants can at least answer "yes." 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yup.

More than a few, but less than many.  A great way to ruin a good friendship.  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Once. Played a twilight 18, and in order to speed up the round we played alternate shot. Unfortunately my team lost the match, but to date it was one of the most memorable rounds I have had. I have wanted to try again since, but have yet to have the opportunity.

Our Member/Guest Tournament plays alternate shot as one of the nines. Never say you're sorry....

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I voted "yes", many times but I need an asterisk.  Most of my foursomes play has been what we called "Scottish Foursomes" where each team member tees off, the team selects the preferred drive and alternates from there. My parents and my wife &I used to play that game all the time.

Of course, @cipher and I paired up at the 2017 Newport Cup.  That first day thumping we took from @kpaulhus and @Golfingdad was humbling.  But it all worked out in the end with the correct team winning the overall competition.

• Like 3

Brian Kuehn

We play a Presidents/Ryder Cup event at my home club every year, and that includes a 9-hole foursome match.  That was the extent of my foursome experience, 9 holes a year, before the Newport Cup matches.  So now its 4 18-hole matches, plus 9 holes every year.  BTW, its a hell of a way to get to know a new friend, Thursday morning at the Newport Cup paired up for foursomes.  Its fun, its pressure-packed, its not easy to get into a solid rhythm, its a pretty different kind of golf.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Many times and enjoy the format.
Our Couples Championship (AKA Divorce Open) is a modified game with each player hits every tee shot.
Our Member/Member and Member - Guest events are also played using the modified format. 

I personally prefer a True Alternate Shot game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Have played a couple of times, but the last time was definitely more than 5 and probably more than 10 years ago.  I enjoy the format.  It challenges you because both of you can have different ideas of what is the correct way of playing a hole

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

A muni near where i lived used to conduct a foursome tournament over two days. They had a handicap requirment of at least 10 (combined) so it usually only had a handful of teams. Eventually it just died. It was still fun though. IMO ballstrikers have too much of an advantage in Foursomes on the amateur level. I prefer better ball for most team formats. It brings more people into it. 

I play in a 6-6-6 tournament every year where we play alternate shot for 6 holes. My partner and I always joke that we are so good at alternate shot because there's no where our partner can hit it that we haven't put ourselves at one time or another. Never say you're sorry, because the next shot might be even worse!

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I've played true alternate shot a decent amount. Two 18 holes matches at the Newport Cup. Poor @mchepp and @kpaulhus... My men's club also runs a Ryder Cup style competition every year. 9 holes of that are alternate shot. I've also played Scotch Foursomes, where was mentioned above. I think that's my favorite alternate shot format, because everybody hits a tee shot and you get into a better rhythm that way.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a good alternate shot partner, but I think I'm a bad one. I end up in a lot of interesting spots. On the plus side, there's not really a shot that will phase me. On the other hand, you're going to be playing some shots from spots you're not used to. I also hope you're good at making 4-6 foot putts, because I have a lot of those!

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

No, but sometimes my rounds feel like they're being played alternate shot format by two different people.

Some of you who have played golf with me know what I mean...

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've only done it once.   We played 27 holes and played foursome, four ball and individuals.   It was a lot of fun but I can't get our group to do it again. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Every year at our annual tournament.   36 holes, four nine-hole events, two man scramble, foursomes, fourball, individual matchplay.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I answered no, since I have never seen a competition around here where you could play foursomes. 

Through the season we have many occasions where we'll have a foursome and play a 2 man scramble. On many more than one occasion have I suggested playing foursomes. Everyone else ran away from that idea that their hair was catching fire! For some reason, foursomes scares a lot of people to death! 

Note: This thread is 1565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!