IGNORED

Have You Ever Walked Off the Course During a Bad Round?

ChetlovesMer

Have You Ever Walked Off The Course?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Walked Off The Course Mid-Round Because You Weren't Playing Well?

• No, I've only ever left the course due to weather or running late for an appointment or something like that. Never due to "poor play".
    • Yes - I have walked off the course once or twice.
    • Yes - I do it all the time.
  2. 2. Is It Wise To Walk Off The Course If You Are Playing Badly?

• No - You should aways stick it out. You never know when you may "Find Something".
    • Yes - But only if you are playing REALLY badly.
    • Yes - You should always walk away. Why torture yourself? Plus, you are just ruining your swing by staying out there.

I was playing earlier this week with a neighbor. He and I were paired up with a couple of other guys. They were perfectly nice guys. One of them, lost a ball on the first hole. Oddly, we all thought he striped it down the middle of the fairway, but we couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, he went back to the tee, hit a drive into the rough, hit an approach into the bunker, blasted out, 2 putted for a triple bogey. He parred the next 3 holes. Made a birdie on the toughest hole on the course (hole number 5). Then par, par, par. Before making another triple on hole 9. He finished the front 9 with a 5 over 41. Which he said was disappointing. I could see why. The triple on the first was bummer (a lost ball we all thought was down the middle.) The triple on the last was one of those hit it into trouble, tried to make the heroic save, got in more trouble, kind-of-deals. 

The back nine, all of us parred hole 10, a par 5. (I was disappointed on this one as I reached the green in 2.) 3 putts suck! He topped his drive on 11. He saved bogie. Topped another drive on 12, saved par. 13 is a longish (188 yards) par 3. He topped another tee-shot this time with an iron. Then he hit into the bunker, knocked it out, 2 putted to a double bogey. 

Then he took his bag off the cart and walked back to the club-house. He told his partner, he was losing his game and knew it wouldn't come back. So he just left. 

His buddy told me and my neighbor that he plays with this guy all the time and that he can't remember how many times this guy has just given up mid-round and walked off. I guess it happens all the time. 

We all spent the final 5 holes discussing whether it was better to just "walk off" the course when you don't feel you are playing well. Or to stick it out and try to recover. What do you all think?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unfortunately, I have walked off before.  I have usually only done this if I feel that something in my swing is way off and I do not feel like I can get it back on track. These were just casual rounds and we are members so it's not a big deal for me to walk off. If I am paying to play 18 at a different course or something, I will stick it out and just play whatever game I have because I am a tightwad with my money...haha

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I've only walked off in the middle of a nine due to injury or severe weather. However, I'll often head home after nine and it doesn't even need to be just when I'm playing badly.  My membership makes it pretty easy to play as much or as little as I want and I find myself playing more nine hole rounds than I ever have before. 

That said, if the spray gun is in full evidence, hole #10 will not be seeing me.

I have never walked off because of a bad round.  I only leave if I or somebody else isn't well or tired.  These days I play with my dad and he sometimes can't finish the 18.  Father Time 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I don't quit the course when I'm playing badly. I suppose if my sense of self worth and attitude depended upon how well I was playing it might be different but I also play golf because I enjoy my companions, the laughter, and my time on the course out in the fresh air and "nature". I also need the exercise so it's either golf or the treadmill and the treadmill is much more boring than bad golf, to me.

I used to be a bit of a hot head and I walked off the course on several occasions. I have since seen the error of my ways and I haven't done it in 10+ years. To be honest it just makes your look like an idiot, at the end of the day its still just a game and even playing like shit beats sitting on the couch, or even worse doing honey-dos. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Its possible I've walked off because of my own poor play, but if so I can't remember it.  I've certainly been frustrated, but I won't just quit.  There's a lot more to a round of golf than just the golf.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

When I have a bad round going, I just think of the rest as practice. We did stop after 12 holes a few weeks ago, but that was because my friends back started hurting and the round was very slow. Even when I’ve been hurt, I try to finish the round and just ease off the rest of my swings.

I was playing with @billchao in Maine a few years back and my left leg stopped working due to a meniscus injury. I was wear a brace at the time too. We still finished though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If by "bad" round you mean "slow" round, then yes. I've never walked off because of my play. I quit once because I got sick mid round.

Colin P.

I have only once walked off the course because I was playing badly, and I’m ashamed of it. I’ve shared the story before, but it suits this topic well so I’ll share it again:

Two summers ago, I was playing a round about a week before a tournament I played in at Pinehurst No. 7. I got to the short par-5 ninth needing only a par to make the turn under 50. Well, I bogeyed for a 50, and I walked to the tenth tee hot, tired and frustrated at my game because nothing was going well, and I was on the brink of completely losing it.

I remember the moment like it was yesterday: two practice swings with the driver, then a hard slice OB. I walked to the bench adjacent to the tenth tee and tried hard to regain my composure, but it was too much. I put my clubs in my trunk and left.

Had it not been for the tournament just around the corner I probably would’ve fought on, but that one shot just sent me over the edge. However, I have since learned my lesson and have gotten better at staying with it after a poor start.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I think I’ve done it before, so I voted as such. There are many times on the course when I’ll say “I quit golf” or something to that effect, but I’ve played enough rounds to know that sometimes things turn around dramatically. The last time I can remember walking off a course though was after a 3 hour front nine and it had nothing to do with how I was playing.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I was playing with @billchao in Maine a few years back and my left leg stopped working due to a meniscus injury. I was wear a brace at the time too. We still finished though.

I remember that. It was the first time we met in person. I’ll still tell people that it only took watching me play 12 holes to leave you battered and broken.

• Funny 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I never have walked off the course because of playing poorly, but I'm sure people I have played wish I had.😄

A few weeks ago I was paired up with a threesome. All younger than me, good gear, polite, friendly etc. Three of us tee off, my drive was just off the fairway left, the other 2 guys just off the fairway right. Last guy tees off, tops it off the tee. Tees up another ball, goes short left. We all go down the hill to our balls, but guy #4 can't find his. He drives his cart back up the hill, I assumed to tee off again. But no, he quit after the first tee, drove back to the clubhouse. His friends tell me he does this often and is kinda "weird."

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

8 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

We all spent the final 5 holes discussing whether it was better to just "walk off" the course when you don't feel you are playing well. Or to stick it out and try to recover. What do you all think?

Good question - I answered that the only time I've left early was when life came pressing in and I needed to be somewhere else.   I have had a good number of rounds where I would have been better served to maybe quit, but I also had inside me that maybe/just maybe there is a good shot/hole just ahead.  Today, one of the course employees was playing with my son and I.  He will admit he struggles, but has the wisdom to know that in his struggles he learns.  Too often I believe we quit too soon rather than stick it out and see that next shot go in.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

I walked off once, in a tournament. I felt I was being a bother to my fellow competitors.

I will not do that again.

I will walk off a casual round if I'm playing badly, though that hasn't happened in a decade… I have left the course mid-round if play gets bogged down too much. Often I make the turn in 90 minutes, and see three groups on the 10th hole, and just go home.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I walked off once when I was younger. Playing with my dad at our typical track. I was in the trees punching out and my iron snapped over a branch. I had already been playing badly and this tipped me over the edge. I walked back in. It felt horrible and I apologized to my dad after. Should never have left.

It really shouldn’t be that important. I make my living from the game, but I can’t let myself get that upset on the course. I’ve definitely been in a lot more control of my emotions recently. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

If I stop a round, it is typically for more than one reason..  For example, a couple years ago I was playing as a solo and nothing was going right.  In addition, what appeared to be a fairly open course that day was actually filled with people playing even worse than I. The pace of play was pathetic.  I bounced around a bit and then took off when I was near the clubhouse.  I won't quit a round if I am playing with other people unless I have a physical issue.

Brian Kuehn