IGNORED

Why Do You Play Golf? A Two Option Poll

iacas
Note: This thread is 1910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why You Play  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which matters more to you when playing golf?

• Shooting lower scores.
    • Having fun.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Sounds like you voted incorrectly, yes. But you can change it any time.

Those of you voting for "lower scores because that's fun" are under-valuing the fun part, and I suspect many of you should change your votes.

The poll asks which is MORE important.

So if you could only have one, which would you rather have: fun or lower scores? You don't get to say "lower scores because that's fun." The poll asks which is MORE important.

I still find it difficult to choose. I had a period this year where I got frustrated because of my scores. It took me 9 months to play my new course with low scores (like high 70’s and low 80’s). The high scores made me allmost stop playing the course as a member to go to an other course and play there as a member. So I need low scores to have fun.

Edited by MacDutch

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For fun. Thats what the game was originally created for so why play for any other primary reason?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Sounds like you voted incorrectly, yes. But you can change it any time.

Those of you voting for "lower scores because that's fun" are under-valuing the fun part, and I suspect many of you should change your votes.

The poll asks which is MORE important.

So if you could only have one, which would you rather have: fun or lower scores? You don't get to say "lower scores because that's fun." The poll asks which is MORE important.

I guess I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.. lol!

But yeah, when put it that way there is no doubt that golf is above all.. fun - even on bad days I have never had even a small urge to quit.

It is definitely not some joyless pursuit to lower scores. I have survived some terrible golf (haven't we all..) and far from done, but if the joy/fun was gone, I would find myself spending more time bouldering a V2 at the local rock wall gym.

I changed my vote.

Vishal S.

19 hours ago, mchepp said:

I am a little confused why one can't desire to do both? They do not appear mutual exclusive. In fact I would argue that shooting lower scores makes one happier. 

Personally I play golf for the social aspect. Hanging out with other people who enjoy to play a game where we get to be outside, get some exercise, and have a small competition. Unless you are playing @DaveP043 in match play, then it is serious work. 

Playing a good tight match against a good guy (and good player) is one thing I enjoy about as much as anything in golf.  It sure is hard work, but its a lot of fun at the same time.  Its even more fun when its all over :beer:

• Like 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I enjoy that feeling of solid contact and watching a ball go where I want it to go.  Sense of accomplishment and it's fun to do that.  Wish it happened more regularly.  

The desire to improve is always there; but that isn't enough to sustain interest over a long period of time.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

The fun part for me is the swing is a Rubik's Cube and I'm still trying to get all the colors to match up, getting out into the sun on the grass with the people is definitely fun, but as boring as it sounds, I think I enjoy the process of learning new things and building up the knowledge, which in turn should translate to better scoring and requires getting out into the sun on the grass with the people. It's all kind of connected.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The fun part for me is the swing is a Rubik's Cube and I'm still trying to get all the colors to match up, getting out into the sun in the grass with people is definitely fun, but as boring as it sounds, I think I enjoy to process of learning new things and building up the knowledge, which in turn should translate to better scoring. It's all kind of connected.

Yes, but the root of that is FUN, don't you think?

I think those of you answering "shoot lower scores" are missing out on the fact that half the time (or more), you're basically saying the "more important" part of the game is absent for you, because 50-70% of the time you're not going to be "shooting lower scores." You're going to be shooting higher scores.

That's a big chunk of time to be missing out on a factor you voted for as "more" important than having fun.

I mean, I enjoy shooting lower scores too, but if that was what mattered more to me, then I'd be disappointed in golf a good chunk of the time. I think it's more important that I have fun, even if that means just practicing on the course, or spending time with my daughter, or hitting two good shots in the midst of a "meh" scoring day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would lean towards having fun but I also want to try and shoot lower scores. I think trying to shoot a lower score is fun. I even think working on my game (practicing) is fun. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I voted shooting lower scores. I mean golf is really only fun when I play well. I am not one of those guys who say a bad day playing golf is better than a good day working. If I don't play well I see it as a waste of four hours.

I am very competitive, and a high majority of my rounds are competitive, either tournaments or money games. I love golf, but its the competition that draws me to the course. If someone told me tomorrow I could only play casual "fun" rounds for the rest of my life I would probably lose interest and hang it up. When I do just go out and play for the heck of it, its not for fun, its to work on my game for my next competitive round. I don't even drink alcohol on the golf course because it affects my ability to score well. I know that sounds harsh, but I've been an athlete my entire life, I started wresting when I was 4 years old,  was a three sport athlete in high school, and played Division 1 baseball. Competing is a major part of who I am.

The 'fun" part of my game begins at the 19th hole! 🍻

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think those of you answering "shoot lower scores" are missing out on the fact that half the time (or more), you're basically saying the "more important" part of the game is absent for you, because 50-70% of the time you're not going to be "shooting lower scores." You're going to be shooting higher scores.

That's a big chunk of time to be missing out on a factor you voted for as "more" important than having fun.

I get your point but that's not how I viewed the question.  Let me use an example - my wife likes to run.  She doesn't time herself or chart mileage.  She just enjoys the form of exercise and goes out and runs 3-4 times a weeks, usually 3-5 miles.  I know other people who are dedicated runners who chart and time every run, trying to get better / achieve a goal (I BTW hate running and my back really hates it).

Now I love the fun stuff of golf - playing with buddies, spending time with my son when he plays with me, the outdoor aspect, etc. But I also love it because of the keeping score aspect of it.  If there was no keeping score and golf was more like the way my wife runs, then I would still enjoy it, but I might play 20 times a year as opposed to my current 80.  So to me shooting lower scores, or at least trying to shoot lower scores, is part of the fun and challenge of playing golf and without it golf would be much less interesting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking along the same lines as @gbogey and @nevets88. The pursuit of lower scores is a bit more important to me than just the fun of playing. Even if I don't shoot lower, if I learn something about my swing or course strategy in wind or something that I can take back to improve my game, I consider the round a success. There are so many variables in golf. It is a puzzle to solve, but it keeps changing. Trying to solve that and shoot lower scores is my fun and the beauty of golf.

I play guitar and have performed a lot in the past. Playing and performing are fun. But I am always trying to get better by learning new songs, new techniques, harder challenges. I guess that is who I am.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I play to have fun, and for the exercise. 

Shooting lower/good/consistent scores is just a byproduct of the having fun part

I guess I am a little different than some of the posters in this thread. I go out to have fun, with little regard for the score I might shoot.  That's not to say I don't try to play to my best ability.

Having fun is relaxing for me. I play  my best when  I am relaxed. No pressure to save a stroke here, or there. Just hit the ball, go find it, and hit it again. My score is only important after the round is over. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes, but the root of that is FUN, don't you think?

I mean, I enjoy shooting lower scores too, but if that was what mattered more to me, then I'd be disappointed in golf a good chunk of the time. I think it's more important that I have fun, even if that means just practicing on the course, or spending time with my daughter, or hitting two good shots in the midst of a "meh" scoring day.

But that majority of the time I'm not shooting lower scores is the process of working towards shooting lower scores, which is fun? My head hurts. I dunno, it's complex, I have a complex relationship with this game. Maybe if I got a look at that Twitter thread, it might help me understand having fun vs getting better, better.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I have fun when I shoot lower scores.

I don’t have fun when I shoot a high score.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!