IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

I'm a pretty optimistic guy when it comes to my golf game. I'm always feeling like I'm right around the corner from great scores. This year is no different.

I finished last year playing some pretty good golf: shot an 84 with 9 pars and a birdie, an 83 with 9 GIR (ties my career best GIR%), and a 94 on a fairly difficult course while putting and scrambling below my average.

I feel like my iron game is pretty good, to the point where I can probably make 18 nGIR as long as I put my tee shot somewhere on the hole I'm playing and there are no obstructions, and I'm working on some moves that will improve my ballstriking.

I've also addressed some weaknesses in my game as well, getting an Edel putter and making some adjustments to my putting, as well as the Mevo to work on my wedge game.

All of this optimism in my golf game could be for naught and maybe I don't see the improvements this year I'm expecting, yet it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because playing this game has brought me to this site and being on this site has made me a better person from being able to interact and share experiences with people from all walks of life and different points of view, as well as making/meeting a bunch of great people I'll happily call my friend (even if we have never met IRL).

Even if my best golf is somehow behind me, I'll still play this game for as long as I am able to because it's brought so much to my life already. I'm good with that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/2/2018 at 5:27 AM, boogielicious said:

For me, I can finally start swinging the clubs again. I haven't been able to play since last August. Since then, two surgeries and a few injections and therapy. But I finally feel well enough to start practicing again. I should be able to hit balls in the next week.

You don't realize how much you miss golf until you can't play it.

Yes, I was injured Sept. 29 and haven't been able to swing since then. Lots of phys therapy, injections, etc. and lots of prayer have improved my situation greatly. And TST is so important to keeping my golf mentality up. Still have a few months ahead of no golf, but I am able to look back at Sept 28, playing a 2 day friend tournament in South Carolina when the instruction, practice and positive attitude led to a 90 on the 1st day and then an 88 (I think; may have to look back). These scores were on pretty hard courses. Those rounds have given me confidence for GREAT GOLF when I am able. I will work with my instructor but I have learned to focus on what's right too. Thank you for this topic. Best to all, -Marv

• Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 2/1/2018 at 3:00 PM, iacas said:

So, in this topic:

• Please, brag about something you've done, something you nearly did, anything. (Golf-related)
  • Post if you need someone to pump you up a little bit.
  • Post something positive in golf that you experienced, saw, or participated in.
  • Post about when you're pumped up about something, yourself, so others can soak in your joy.

Going to brag that I increased my swing speed with my driver about 10mph the past couple years. I remember I was hitting balls a few years ago with @iacas and @david_wedzik and they were laughing I couldn't get past 99mph ;-)

Was on Trackman the other day at a TaylorMade demo day at my club and I was 108-110. I was about this speed in October but it's good that I've been able to keep it up. They even recommended I go to an X shaft, which I've never used (mostly to keep the spin down since I was spinning my driver too much). I'm going to verify the spin stuff this week when I'm working on my instructor's Trackman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The last two Saturdays have been fun golfing with my buddies.   On Saturday January 27th our team finished first in a 9 hole scramble.  We shot 28!!   This past Saturday another group of my buddies and I shot 60 for 18 holes in another scramble. We all lamented we should have gone lower since we failed to make 4 putts that were in the 10-12 foot range if we made those we would have won.  While we did not win anything, however, I won closest to the pin on the par 3 10th hole which played 152 yards.  We were in the second to last group of the day and my shot ended up 2 feet from the hole.  I was very excited about this, since there were more than 100 golfers in the field.

All the practice I do, the help I get from my great coach at GGGA, combined with the friends I have and play golf with make golf great for me. 

It is easy to get down on yourself, when you HCP does not improve as quickly as you would like, or you shoot a poor score, or can't seem to fix one of the many swing flaws you have identified... but heck  it is only a game!!!  To be enjoyed.

I did a lot of cool firsts this year:

1. Made an eagle on a par 4.
  2. Made a hole in one.
  3. Made it to the semi-finals of my club's scratch match play bracket.
  4. Made an eagle outside of Colorado.
  5. Broke 80 outside of Colorado.

All of these were really cool. Plus, playing in the Newport Cup and playing well overall was great, too. Still having a lot of fun playing golf, so as frustrating as the game can be sometimes, I still enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I played in a tournament this past Saturday morning.  After starting 9 over through 6 holes, and thinking this is going to be dumpster fire of a day, I ended up winning my flight at 17 over for the round.  It was after I had given up on the day and just relaxed, that I started picking up my play.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Good Topic

First off I have to say I started using game golf this week and it has been really cool to see my game from that perspective. A few more rounds will really help me tighten up my shot zones. I wish I would have started using it sooner.

Next, my last two rounds have been under par, including one of the best ball striking rounds I can remember on Tuesday. 

Finally, I am driving the ball better than I have in my life. I have worked very hard on eliminating the left side of the course, and its paying off. It is so comforting to get up on every tee box and know I can aim it down the left side and just hit it hard. Looking at my two rounds on Game Golf I have hit the driver left of the fairway one time, and that was when I aimed well left and just happened to hit it straight.

All in all good things, bring on the summer.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I just finished playing 4 rounds, and scoring quite well for myself. Pretty happy about that. 

These rounds we're planned 6 months ago. During that 6 month period, my practice regime was geared to playing decent golf this past week. Even the weather cooperated this past week.

I looked for, and found new drills to help with the complacent game I was developing back then. Mostly I found some added distance in my longer clubs. Ironically I found that extra distance working with my shorter clubs. Go figure. 

My game was changing for the worse 6 months ago, and I needed to change somethings to slow down that deterioration. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Played with my older brother a couple days ago and totally smoked him. I think he was surprised at my game since we hadnt played in probably 20 + years. On this round I parred #2, 3, and 4 which are normally my nightmare holes on this course and seldom get through them without at least being 2 or 3 over on them. Conquering them really set the tone and boosted my confidence the rest of the way on my way to an 81. 

• Like 1

I have done this a few times in my life. I chipped the ball and I thought I hit it short, but it landed on the green and went in the hole for a birdie.I told a buddy one time that I planned it that way, the truth is it was one hell of a great miss. ;-)

Some cool facts:

last year shot a 13 under par 57 on my 6500 yard home course.

second year in a row with every round being par or better.

finally got fit for a driver and can't believe the difference

stumbled upon -1/2" irons like I "should" have and can't believe how I find the center more.

playing golf with my group is when I like who I am.  Other than that I don't like the person I am everyday.

As I have said on other posts, I'm 66 and have had three back surgeries so I don't hit the ball that far, (drive about 210 to 220 with a roll). Therefore I rely on my 3 wood to get me down the fairway. Last round I was 210 to the front of the green, I hit my 3 wood, flight was perfect, straight up the middle and I put it on the green! Now I was only on by two or three feet, but I was on the green. That shot, and one's like it, are what bring me back to this game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had a feel good moment the other day.....at another golfer's (?) expense. 

I was on the a driving range, and a guy a few stations away, while using his driver, totally lost it in a fit of rage. He literally destroyed his driver, I assume because he couldn't use it correctly. Banging it into the ground, and trying for a new ball basket yardage record. 

I had to gren a little, but I was also quite thankful that I am able to keep my "kewl" (a 60s thing) when things go way south in my golf game. It's one of the better parts of my golf game. 

My wife saw the whole episode, and ask me what I thought that club might cost. I told her in this part of the country, perhaps half a house payment, or a car payment.

One thing I did learn was an empty ball basket, when hit with a driver, will fly farther than one with balls in it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

This Winter, I have literally torn apart my entire swing and rebuilt it in a positive way.  

grip, first move on the takeaway, steeper backswing, bigger hip/shoulder turn, more shallow angle of attack, weight shifting towards my target line at impact.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

6 for 18 GIR's yesterday.  nGIR's, however totaled 15.  On only 3 holes was getting up and down, for par, completely out of the question: 2 ob and 1 unpossible.  I'm going to cease being so harsh in my self-evaluation/criticism.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I am just excited about having passion for the game again. I knew what kind of commitment it would take to “get back on the horse” so to speak. And it took me a while. But now I am enjoying hitting the range and taking lessons almost as much as actually playing. Every time I pick up a club is an opportunity to improve a bit.

This is an interesting "take" as opposed to many of the other threads on this forum. Like "What did you shoot today" or "Do you think you're a better golfer" etc.

This is more of an attitudinal question. A few weeks back, my friends and I played an absolute swamp of a course. I managed to shoot an 82 and I was damned proud of it! I kept my mind on the ball and sent it where I wanted it to go. I don't know if there's much more that can be expected of golf.