IGNORED

POLL: Is Jordan Spieth a Whiny Baby?

Phil McGleno
Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jordan Spieth  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jordan Spieth a Whiny Baby?

• Yes
    • A Little
    • No
  2. 2. Given the above do you like Jordan or dislike Jordan?

• He is not whiny and I like him
    • He is not whiny but I dislike him
    • He is sometimes or usually whiny but I like him
    • He is sometimes or usually whiny and I dislike him

Whiny? Good grief, the kid is 23 years old. Compared to myself and most everyone I knew at that age, the guy looks damn near like Mother Teresa.

People are going to find things that bother them about anyone if they try hard enough, but Spieth is pretty impressive on and off the course in my book.

• Upvote 2

• boogielicious changed the title to POLL: Is Jordan Spieth a Whiny Baby
18 minutes ago, skydog said:

Whiny? Good grief, the kid is 23 years old. Compared to myself and most everyone I knew at that age, the guy looks damn near like Mother Teresa.

Ain't that the truth.

I'd really rather not think about what I was like at 23.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• boogielicious changed the title to POLL: Is Jordan Spieth a Whiny Baby?

I think he's just intense.  It's fun to watch and his desire to win will (most likely) never be questioned.  

How many debates have there been on Golf Channel regarding a player's "killer instinct" or lack thereof?  DJ is probably a good example before he went on his tear as I remember a lot of chatter that he was too laid back...didn't have that burning desire to win.  Now that he's won a bunch, and is the same person (at least on the course), that laid back demeanor is viewed as "cool under pressure."

As cliche as it is, winning cures all.

- Bill

I voted a little whiny, but I still like him, with the whiny moniker being the popular term.  I prefer to say emotional, ultra-competitive, and very open.  And as many have already said, he gets on himself, as many of us do. 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

I do think he's pretty whiny, and I'm not particularly a fan of his, but not necessarily because of the whininess.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think his mannerism makes him enjoyable to watch. I think players that are very robotic are boring to watch, one that comes to mind is Matsuyama. Very good player, but I dont really care to watch him play.

These guys are humans, I enjoy them celebrating after good shots, and being upset at the bad shots, makes it more similar to my own golf game

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

26 minutes ago, klineka said:

I think his mannerism makes him enjoyable to watch. I think players that are very robotic are boring to watch, one that comes to mind is Matsuyama. Very good player, but I dont really care to watch him play.

These guys are humans, I enjoy them celebrating after good shots, and being upset at the bad shots, makes it more similar to my own golf game

I agree with most of what you say.   Everyone wants golfers to show more personality, and then when they show more personality, whatever they say or do gets picked apart and criticized.  

I like watching Matsuyama, though, because I think his golf swing is kind of elegant. 

14 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

What do you all think?

What do you think?

I don't have strong feelings as I have not watched a lot of televised golf in the past couple years. My limited impression is that Jordan Spieth will vocally voice displeasure at some shots but his reactions are not over the top.  He certainly does not qualify as a "whiny baby" in my view.

Brian Kuehn

I hear a lot of self-talk and I like the guy. He is already HOF material with 3 majors and 11 victories - just needs more wins and longevity.  Except for his slow play at times, he is great for the game.

• Upvote 2

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

12 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I hear a lot of self-talk and I like the guy. He is already HOF material with 3 majors and 11 victories - just needs more wins and longevity.  Except for his slow play at times, he is great for the game.

What I found incredibly interesting is a comment he made about his goal to get into the Golf HOF and what he needed to do.  At first I was a put off by the comment as I had never heard of anyone setting a goal like that, especially the greats that came before him. I'm sure that would not have gone over very well if Tiger had made that comment at 23.

But after I thought about it, it is 2017 and what old people like me think may not be the reality of the way things are today.  Still it was such an odd statement.

Hard to picture someone like Teemu Selanne or Scott Niedermayer saying something like that at 23.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

Love the guy. Gives us all a running update as to what's going on in his head and with his game. He's relaxed but operating on the edge mentally and that's what works for him, talk it out, move on, execute. We've got enough calm, collected types who give nothing away as the round goes so I enjoy the difference, living those masters meltdowns and his inevitable recoveries.    He won't need to write a book as we get the picture already.

I don't see "whiny" here at all, I see pleasant and far more candid than he had to be, unlike many public figures at press events. I'm neutral on Spieth, but we all have our biases and reasons.

I think he's a bit whiny on the course, but I don't really think that as a negative. He's just outwardly showing what's going through his head, which I think is good to have instead of the stoic players like Tiger, DJ, etc. It can bug me a little, but it's not a huge deal. His slow play on the other hand...

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 7/25/2017 at 10:16 PM, Chris223 said:

Better than club throwing swearing Tiger.  "Tiger Woods you SUCK, God Damnit!" at The Masters was a real hoot lol.

One of his best non playing moments. I loved it.

Colin P.

He is a bit whiney.   But, he's just a kid.   he has personality, which I like.   

I'm a pretty big Speith fan.  actually, I enjoy watching all the kids these days.   Speith, Ricky, Justin Thomas, even Rory.   all have personality.  all really appear to really enjoy what they are doing.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I think Jordan is a little whiny but I do like him.  It is likely his somewhat longer vents on a bad shot and the moderate tone of his voice that comes across whiny.  I understand he is just thinking out loud but he does remind me of a soft spoken Popeye (the original one for those of you old enough to remember) who was constantly commenting to himself.   Jordan is complaining which is fine but his voice is not as dominant as his golf game! 

On 7/26/2017 at 7:04 AM, skydog said:

People are going to find things that bother them about anyone if they try hard enough, but Spieth is pretty impressive on and off the course in my book.

the irony of this thread on a page that has over a couple dozen threads by people that whine about what bugs them - pet peeves, who putts out, wearing a matching belt, driving, pace of play, etc etc etc etc etc ad nauseum

(and then the irony of my post whining about people that whine about their peeves in a thread about whether a young player is whiney....  whining - seems something golfers are masters at :-D

I try to think of it as a great place for some good people to vent occasionally, but it doesn't make as clever a post.)

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!