IGNORED

When Did You Sell Out?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love gadgets so I would never consider having them a "sell out".... that said, I bought myself a Cart-Tech 1500Li over the winter.  I powered push cart with lithium battery and a remote control.  My wife thinks its very pretentious and is embarrassed to be seen with me.  Everyone else thinks its cool... at least that's what they say.  It feels great to be walking casually down the fairway with my cart 10 yards in front of me or being on the green and moving my cart to the next tee box.  If that is what being a sell out feels like... I'm in. 

Also, I was  an early adopter to hybrids... in fact my first "hybrid" was actually an orange, Taylor Made 7 wood with the bubble shaft.  I have to admit I felt a little queasy putting that in the bag and was happy to replace it with a 4H.  I haven't had higher than a 5 iron in my bag ever since and would never go back. 

• Upvote 1

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't feel quite right about a push cart, but in Spring of 2008 I rented one for a round because of how much water/Powerade I was carrying (might have been Gatorade back then) and that I was going to try to play 36 holes that day.  Not too long after that, I bought a push cart and have been using it since.

I didn't feel quite right about a GPS either, but I borrowed a friend's and decided it would at least speed things up, so I bought my own.  Now I think it's something everyone should have.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I put a nine wood in my bag, just to irritate the guys who were all over my 7 wood. A year later, I changed the 5 and 6 irons for hybrids. But I would not call it selling out.

Using a chipper, or a battery charged pushcard would be big sell outs for me. 

The only sell out I can think of is that I did not post a goal in the '2017 golf goal thread'. This is my 8th year of golf, all 7 years there were somewhat ambitious goals. This year no goals, I'm getting soft. :~(

Few ways I've "sold out",

- Started using a Superstroke grip on my putter about 3 years ago
- About the same time I went from 3 wedges to 4
- Was a MORAD fan, now I wouldn't attend a Mac O'Grady school even if it was free
- Been using a range finder for several years (don't personally consider that selling out)
- No longer use my Casio to film swings, just use my phone
- Hitting more slight fades now (especially off the tee), less push draws
- Just use AimPoint Express and no longer use my AimPoint book
- I think Brandel Chamblee makes some good points with his take on the golf swing and I bought his book.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

- I think Brandel Chamblee makes some good points with his take on the golf swing and I bought his book.

Ban him! :pound:

:-P

When I sold my fitted set of Mizuno muscle backs, for a set of G.I Cobra amp cell irons. The fact that I then went on to shoot my lowest round ever didn't quite dull the small, insistent voice that I was somehow "cheating."

Chris.:roll:

8 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Relevant commercial. I love this commercial, one of the best ever.

One of my favorites!

I am going withe @jamo on this. When I first got a pull cart, I felt a bit old. But my lower back thanked me and kept me walking 18. My golf buddies, some older, some younger, were resistant too, but they finally succumbed except for 1. Lately, his knee is junk at the end of a round, so I think he'll come around.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I dumped the 5w and went to 4 wedges. 

Edit: I also started putting left-hand-low years ago and never went back. 

Edited by CarlSpackler

- Shane

After skulling a few in a row OB (and almost taking a friend's head off), I resorted to putting out of greenside bunkers if it was even remotely possible to do so.  Have since fixed it, but I'll never live that season down.  

embarassed.gif

• Upvote 1

- Bill

Gadgetwise, I remember the first time I played a course with an interactive GPS system. Not just distance to the green, but a layout of the hole and you could tap the screen and get distances to or over bunkers, over the green, etc. As a former caddie it just seemed wrong; also it was actually very distracting.

Clubwise, I was playing a 1st or 2nd generation metal driver (you remember them the small headed ones) when the 400+ size started to come out, and I bought a cheap $25 dollar off brand model as a joke because I thought that it was the most ridiculous looking thing I had ever seen.
I am now on my 3rd or 4th 460cc model.

Players play, tough players win!

Mid 1980's when I bought my first Taylormade metal driver.  That was the beginning of my slide into the dark side.  :8)

Edited by Fourputt
  • Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Sell out...

- I feel I sold out by buying golf gear at Costco.

- Every week, I practice with foam balls and a net in my back yard

- I prefer pacticing on the mats at the range, instead of the grass area

Edited by No Mulligans

It has to be when I purchased my electric, radio controlled trolley. Didn't need it. Just wanted one. 

A guy in our regular group won one. That's what started the desire to own one for me. Now 5 of us have one. 

You can imagine now, when we are all together with our "electric toys" that some money does change hands based on the performance levels of our carts. Yeah, we have races. Drags, and otherwise. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Really the only times I feel like I "sold out" are when I ride the horseless carriage when I don't really need to.

Obviously some courses simply can't be walked. I give myself slack when the temperatures pop 95 degrees. Other than that, I feel a bit guilty when I'm lazy enough to spend the extra cash on the motor cart.

Our regular men's tees are around 6,500 yards and a couple of years ago we put together a set of tees that we could play at around 6,150 yards, which is what the yardage was for almost a century. A lot of guys started playing them regularly, including some guys that I play a lot of golf with, and I have to admit it was more fun but it did feel a bit like a sell out. But I found I was at a disadvantage when I had to play the regular tees in tournaments. It was like playing a totally different golf course so I don't play those forward tees any more.

Bill M

15 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I sold my stand bag and bought a cart bag...basically admitting I'm never going to carry my clubs (I do walk whenever possible, but use a push-cart).

This.  I'm never walking without a caddy.  and I've never had a caddy.   

carrying a beers is too difficult without a cart.   

other than that, I am currently selling IN.   got rid of my game-improvement irons in favor of some players irons.   put the 3-iron back in my bag (and using it).   refusing to accept the slice (and actually changing it).   playing the back tees any time the Men's tees are under 6,300 yds.   

When I die, I don't want to get to the pearly gates just to see Ben Hogan standing there ashamed of me.  :-P

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

My first home course was/is an affordable crummy goat track from the 1920's with impossibly tight fairways and tiny, super slow greens. I grew to love and swear by the course and it would rankle me when people insulted it. Everyone I knew drove past it to play the much nicer course just a few miles up the highway. Now I too, have changed "teams" and only play at the nicer course. 

My next sellout is, I want one of those Kelly Green Under Armour polos with the white stripe - like I recently saw Spieth wearing. Previously I told people how much I hated Under Armour, and, soon I will have to eat my words. 

Note: This thread is 2284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!